• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nketiah: Better than R9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

So difficult for a young striker to break through at a team like ours where the expectation of the fanbase/club is to make champions league/challenge for titles, it would take an unprecedented show of trust for our club to give him more playing time over the likes of Auba/Laca at the moment and then to eventually put their faith in him to replace them....always more likely that when Auba/Laca leave or reach the end of their playing days the fanbase will clamour for a big name over gambling with a youth product in such a vital position,.

For me, once this season is over he needs to get out on loan to a prem side where he will play week in week out, that is the only way he will get the amount of playing time he needs at the top level to truly see if he will cut it, though having said that the quality of the league is so high he wouldn't walk into many of the teams as a nailed on starter.

Such a tough position to break through. He needs to be "on fire" at some point somewhere though to make it happen at this club.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
For me, once this season is over he needs to get out on loan to a prem side where he will play week in week out, that is the only way he will get the amount of playing time he needs at the top level to truly see if he will cut it, though having said that the quality of the league is so high he wouldn't walk into many of the teams as a nailed on starter.

Such a tough position to break through. He needs to be "on fire" at some point somewhere though to make it happen at this club.
He won't be playing a week in a week out at any Premier league club.

Did you just compare Nketiah with Henry? :rofl:

This forum sometimes.:rofl:
I thought they have more or less equal end product at that stage in their careers!

I have a feeling Eddie's going to be real good in the very near future. The kid's really got everything, pace, can press, comfortable anywhere in the front, can score goals (as evident in the u 23's)
I have a dream he will be an 100m+ player in the future, just needs to up his game, score more goals and bulk up a little.

Last edited:

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
I thought they have more or less equal end product at that stage in their careers!

I have a feeling Eddie's going to be real good in the very near future. The kid's really got everything, pace, can press, comfortable anywhere in the front, can score goals (as evident in the u 23's)
I have a dream he will be an 100m+ player in the future, just needs to up his game, score more goals and bulk up a little.
Oh, Only that :lol::lol:

progman07

Established Member
You are just like one of those guys at Juventus that didn't have high opinion of Henry because 16 games was enough for them to know that he doesn't have attributes you've mentioned.
This is the classic example of the "But Bill Gates also never finished college". Using an exception to the rule as an example does not make a strong argument. I guess not all Juventus failures went on to be one of the greatest strikers in the history of football. Also Henry won the World Cup scoring 3 goals at the age of 21.

Nketiah can still be a quality player, if he puts in the effort and has a fair amount of luck, but I don't see what separates him from players like Afobe and Aneke who also used to be very good goalscorers on youth level, but did not show the exceptional talent to break through in a big club, and now play in lower leagues.

The problem is, you either have a player like Aguero who was scoring 27 goals a season for Atletico at the age of 19 (which Nketiah isn't), or have someone like Drogba who started scoring at the age 24-25 (but he could also turn out to be a Bendtner, and we put 171 games into his progression).

So unless you have an Aguero, it's easier to buy an already proven striker, than experiment whether the player becomes a Drogba or a Bendtner.

Last edited:

This is the classic example of the "But Bill Gates also never finished college". Using an exception to the rule as an example does not make a strong argument. Also Henry won the World Cup scoring 3 goals at the age of 21.

Nketiah can still be a quality player, if he puts in the effort and has a fair amount of luck, but I don't see what separates him from players like Afobe and Aneke who also used to be very good goalscorers on youth level, but did not show the exceptional talent to break through in a big club, and now play in lower leagues.

The problem is, you either have a player like Aguero who was scoring 27 goals a season for Atletico at the age of 19 (which Nketiah isn't), or have someone like Drogba who started scoring at the age 24-25 (but he could also turn out to be a Bendtner, and we put 171 games into his progression).

So unless you have an Aguero, it's easier to buy an already proven striker, than experiment whether the player becomes a Drogba or a Bendtner.

No its not that black and white that you either have players like Aguero or Drogba. There is inbetween also.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

I also have a dream. I hope he manages to score some goals so we can sell him for Solanke fee. As it stands he doesn't really excell at anything particular so it's just a wild dream.

marting

Has a good career infront of him....It will probably be in the championship though. at the minimum he needs farming out on loan to see if he can improve in a team where he is more likely to start.

progman07

Established Member
No its not that black and white that you either have players like Aguero or Drogba. There is inbetween also.
Absolutely. I don't want to write any youngster off, I'd love to see them succeed. It's just the sad fact that as a young striker, it's very difficult to break into the first team, because it's almost impossible to predict whether the player can make the step up from youth level to top level, and also there are not many opportunities unless you have an injury crisis. For example I used to think that Lansbury will surely make the first team in the future. Vela was also a player with a much bigger talent, than any of our current youngsters in my opinion, but obviously his behaviour was not up to it.

All in all, I would assume you need Fabregas, Van Persie or even Wilshere level talent to break through at a Club like Arsenal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That's most of the battle . Ade got heaps of chances but couldn't hit a barn door then it all clicked for a season anyways .

Auba took a few starts to get going this season goal-wise - the missed sitters at Chelsea a good example, as well as the other numerous chances he's missed this season. Eddie's obviously not on the same level but it goes to show that even the best goalscorers miss chances. It's just unfortunate that it's coming at a time when he needs to make an impact. Personally I have little doubt that he'll come good, just as soon as one of these chances go in, and the floodgates will open IMO. His all-round game has come on leaps and bounds and I see no reason why he won't score goals at this level, particularly with how well he's been getting chances to score. Soon enough, it will come together.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Auba took a few starts to get going this season goal-wise - the missed sitters at Chelsea a good example, as well as the other numerous chances he's missed this season. Eddie's obviously not on the same level but it goes to show that even the best goalscorers miss chances. It's just unfortunate that it's coming at a time when he needs to make an impact. Personally I have little doubt that he'll come good, just as soon as one of these chances go in, and the floodgates will open IMO. His all-round game has come on leaps and bounds and I see no reason why he won't score goals at this level, particularly with how well he's been getting chances to score. Soon enough, it will come together.

Hope so. Will fetch another couple of millions if it does.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
not sure about this, although with Welbeck's injury this was always a possibility

HBL

Established Member
Wise decision, our youngsters are very important for our squad depth at the minute.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
not sure about this, although with Welbeck's injury this was always a possibility
I'd prefer he went on loan so he can actually play more than the odd cup game and build up some momentum - but logically, it makes sense for him to stay because if one or both of Laca and Auba (God forbid, strongly :lol:) get hurt, we won't even have Nketiah to call on. And Tyreece John-Jules is certainly not ready!

Reactions: A_G

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

If he only had luscious locks maybe then Unai would have played him more often because he is much better than his favourite. Let me make it clear, I am not for him to play ahead of more experienced strikers, like Laca or Auba, my suggestion is that he should play more often. I liked his game from the first day I saw him play and I still do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom