• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nket14h: Answering The 📞 From England

Came to read about Gaby Jesus here and fell over this, looks like these extensions are a cover to protect Arteta's image, saves money for the owner, no need to pull a big name while reducing the overall expectations. Fans won't turn against a youthful team as much. This whole concept of telling they're being smart in getting sqaud players is PR when you need to fix the starting eleven. Just from a neutral perspective.

Gunners1616

People saying that this will allow us to focus on a world class striker...

Wait until that striker ends up being Alvaro Morata or DCL. Not trusting Edu one bit.

Only world class player he got us was Partey who had a release clause so no negotiation skills required whatsoever.

gamechannel

Struggle to offload because of a 100k wage. :lol:

This isn’t the 90s or early 2000s. Majority of teams in the league can and would pay that.
No one would pay 100k for a player who's not performing which is the scenario we are discussing. As for the Benteke on 130k example someone cited, how many teams are lining up for him at that wage? Would you be happy if Arsenal took him on for 100k a month? I bet not. We have seen a trend form in the last few years where clubs have struggled to offload unwanted players with most going out on subsidized loans. Hell our own club had to give Chambers away for free, Pay Auba and Özil to **** off, still trying to offload Torreira, Mari and Bellerin.

Wages have gone up but not to 100k a week for a striker who doesn't have any consistent performance record and who, until 4 weeks ago, was a shoe-in to leave the club.

100k a weak for Eddie Nketiah is ridiculous no matter how much people try to convince themselves otherwise.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The funniest way to end this window, would be to end up with Alvaro Morata as our big signing, to be honest :lol:

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
I would not be surprised if Eddie is our main striker and we get some pubber in from the lower leagues with a brilliant spin doctor for an agent.

D

Deleted member 102404

Will be interesting to see the impact down the line. I can see he gets a an extra amount due to effectively being out of contract be he has also done pretty much **** all to deserve that level. Sure times have moved on but we are also not a CL club anymore but seem to have a high end CL wage bill.

Is he now close to / above Martinelli... does he want a fresh deal?
How much will this same agent want for Saka? You can bet will try a third time taking the club to last year of deal in negotiations.
How much are any new strikers going to demand with 3rd choice already at this level? :lol:

Saka is going to be expensive - very expensive.

As for Eddie - we keep talking about this £100k a week, but the reports I have been reading is that his overall deal amounts to £100k a week - not base salary. That includes a reported £5m signing bonus (which would be £20k a week over 5 years) plus any incentives/bonuses.

I think the £100k a week headlines are journo's trying to troll Arsenal fans - and lets' face it, our fans are easy targets for that.

Don't know what his actual base weekly salary is in any deal he might sign, but '£100k a week' is. great headline and guaranteed to get tens of thousands of bites (clicks)

amigo

If Eddie was given penalties like regular strikers often are he could have had 8 to his name in those last 8 games. Will he continue scoring at that rate next season or is it just a purple patch? That’s the million dollar question but on the evidence he looks like he’s on the up. Because we are not paying a transfer fee for him we can gamble a bit on wages. 100k (including all bonuses etc) a week is not a huge amount for a premiership striker. City and Chelsea each have a dozen players on over 100k People like Sterling get 300k , Werner 200k+ Laca had 180, Auba was on 350. Lukaku 325k. We are not paying a transfer fee for him. Not as much of a gamble as is being made out. Last thing we would like would be to let him go and see him tearing it up somewhere else like Gnabry.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
I'm surprised Eddie accepted the extension though, kind of a **** move after all the abuse he was getting from the fanbase because they wanted Balogun in his place. His signging bonus must have been big. Definitely not elite mentality.

Brett

I don't see the problem with signing him up. He has shown he can score goals. He is only 22 and is HG. He will get better. The term "back up striker" is really odd. What striker is just happy to sit on the bench and be bought for that sole purpose? The idea of it is fanciful.

Someone please name me a top club with a back up who comes in with no drop in the level or change in style of system.

Bayern have Choupo-Moting ffs.
Origi?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
As for Eddie - we keep talking about this £100k a week, but the reports I have been reading is that his overall deal amounts to £100k a week - not base salary. That includes a reported £5m signing bonus (which would be £20k a week over 5 years) plus any incentives/bonuses.

I think the £100k a week headlines are journo's trying to troll Arsenal fans - and lets' face it, our fans are easy targets for that.

Agree with this. No one talks wages and include every bonus, signing fee etc and average it out to a weekly wage. Arsenal fans are extremely active online and it's a pretty easy way to rile up certain parts of the fanbase. Genuinely, if you reported every wage the way they've done with Nketiah, someone like Xhaka would likely be on £170k a week if not more. Feel a bit bad for Nketiah tbh.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
People saying that this will allow us to focus on a world class striker...

Wait until that striker ends up being Alvaro Morata or DCL. Not trusting Edu one bit.

Only world class player he got us was Partey who had a release clause so no negotiation skills required whatsoever.
Question is also now can you attract a World Class striker without Champs league.
I do think people especially on here get hung up way too much on 'big current flavour players'
There is a decent argument to be made that someone like Morata at the right price would offer us something different.
However he is not a buzzy enough name for most of the maniacs on here.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Agree with this. No one talks wages and include every bonus, signing fee etc and average it out to a weekly wage. Arsenal fans are extremely active online and it's a pretty easy way to rile up certain parts of the fanbase. Genuinely, if you reported every wage the way they've done with Nketiah, someone like Xhaka would likely be on £170k a week if not more. Feel a bit bad for Nketiah tbh.
It's been this way for years too. Got fans cursing at each other over players' wages and transfer fees. It's sad, tbh.

D

Deleted member 102404

It's been this way for years too. Got fans cursing at each other over players' wages and transfer fees. It's sad, tbh.
It's funny because it's all media stimulated gossip taken as fact.
We don't know the structure of wages for any player and probably never will.
All we can see is the overall wage bill in the accounts each year - which includes all staff.

Overall to period ending May 2021, £244.4m in staff costs, 83 players, 70 training staff, 364 commercial and admin staff and 117 ground staff.

It will be interesting to see how that comes down (if it comes down) in the May 22 accounts and further in the May 23 accounts. For individual players, I could not care less.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We saved Auba's wages just to give new bags to Elneny & Eddie una
GIven that Elneny's wages have probably stayed the same, and the wages Eddie was on before, Auba's departure still frees up over £250k a week even taking those two into account

BIoodBrother

This is a money protecting move.
If it doesnt work out, we'll easily sell for 25mil.
Club might have even played him in the last games to convince him, he's gonna get enough chances.
Problem from a sporting pov is that he might not be good enough still and if smth happens to the main guy he's gonna be the only one to cover.

Top Bottom