• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu & Vinai: The Dream Team

Gooner1988TK

Covid19 has stymied a lot of clubs' ability to do transfers.

COVID or no COVID we are poor at getting money for our players. We’ve lost stars and nothing has changed on that front. We give average players inflated wages which causes the inability to sell. We have to give away or keep loaning them out and it’s unacceptable. This is not a new Arsenal phenomenon.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I hope all those who were abusing Edu’s 15 year old son on twitter and instagram feel good about themselves.

Exactly. ****ing keyboard warriors talking about live beheading of a man over some goddamn transfers. I mean surely he'd deserve criticism, but this has gone way too far.

Problem is, what can you do about it? Besides maybe publicly naming and shaming.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm proud of Edu. It was a hard market and he wasn't bullied into either paying more than we wanted to but almost as important not panicking and signing anyone. We've been down that road before, Perez and dare I say Pepe? I'm sure there are others also.

Outgoings could have been better but there is still an opportunity to move guys on domestically and I'm sure we will. Let's not forget AMN was basically out the door and we u turned at the last minute, same for Holding and allegedly Chambers.

Corona virus has obviously had an impact also as lots of clubs struggled to get outgoing business done and when some of our players have 12 months left why will other clubs pay a fee now when they can get them in 2 months time for free?

Overall a successful window.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
What we got to remember is that our entire executive team's average age is <40 (Edu, Huss, Vinai, Mikel, Per).

Thus, they may fail a bit more on the front where some more experienced guys like Raul would thrive.

On the flip side, they are ambitious and still making their names in the game which may allow us to make better decisions football-wise.

Considering the circumstances, I'd say this young bunch held thier own during the widow and set the groundwork for club transformation. Renewed Saka, Gabi, Auba, and strenghtened the spine with Gabriel and Partey.

We're in much better shape this year.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Lets be real Edu has made a name for himself in this market by getting Partey on deadline day in the manor he did. An elite move that Wenger and Gazidis wouldn't even dream of making. A ruthless move announcing himself as DOF of this club.

I personally don't think Aouar is a £57M footballer in any market yet. That's what Aulas wanted (£47M + £10M add ons). He could blow up at Madrid/PSG or wherever he moves next, but there will be other opportunities next summer to sign a creative player. Especially once Özil is gone and hopefully with CL football.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Exactly. ****ing keyboard warriors talking about live beheading of a man over some goddamn transfers. I mean surely he'd deserve criticism, but this has gone way too far.

Problem is, what can you do about it? Besides maybe publicly naming and shaming.
you can do the only thing that can truly be done with effect; don't read them

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I personally don't think Aouar is a £57M footballer in any market yet. That's what Aulas wanted (£47M + £10M add ons). He could blow up at Madrid/PSG or wherever he moves next, but there will be other opportunities next summer to sign a creative player.
You and I have been consistent on this all along. He’s clearly good, but 22 years old, shy temperament and Lyon all his life there was only so much he was realistically going to do.

I liked the way we approached the signing for Aouar, atleast we tested them and saw what was possible without overpaying. Aouar was just far too hot this summer for it to come off unfortunately and I’m fine with it.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Think once the buzz of the Partey signing has worn off a little people will look at this a bit more objectively.

Still massive question marks over the likes of Edu, Huss and Vinai for me. Don't want to be a downer, but we failed in most of the business we wanted to do. Particularly outgoings. One great marquee signing on deadline day shouldn't blind us to that fact . We were fortunate Partey had that RC otherwise we'd have been in trouble.

Last edited:

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Any hope we will look at some championship talent? Buendia / Benrahma?
Been really quiet around championship players not? Not following it specific but can't recall any major rumors around those?

According to AM homepage we are still in for Benrahma though!

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You and I have been consistent on this all along. He’s clearly good, but 22 years old, shy temperament and Lyon all his life there was only so much he was realistically going to do.
I liked the way we approached the signing for Aouar, atleast we tested them and saw what was possible without overpaying. Aouar was just far too hot this summer for it to come off.

Yeah I don't think it would've been an astute signing at all for that fee. Liverpool signed a similar player 2 years ago from Leipzig for around the same fee in Keita. It hasn't worked out just yet for him in this league but he's almost an identical profile to Aouar.

Partey was always the signing with no risk attached which is what we need right now.

If we want to be astute we can still sign Buendia. Its clear Arteta wants that sort of player. Or we can wait until next summer, hopefully make CL football and see whats in the market. I think we'll go for the latter option.

Ultimately Aubameyang will move centrally over time. Next summer our team will evolve even further and we'll start moving to a 433 more permanently. Lacazette will only have a year left as well, think he's done here long term.

Leno
Bellerin - Saliba - Gabriel - Tierney
Xhaka
Partey - ?
Pepe - Auba - Saka
Sign a new forward as well. Sancho2021 ;)

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I hope all those who were abusing Edu’s 15 year old son on twitter and instagram feel good about themselves.

I reckon in their heads, they will have convinced themselves that they actually pushed the club on to sign Partey and co this window...****ing gimps that they are :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
As a fan you’re greedy and always want new toys without knowing the mechanics of how things work, I still wanted more, but Gabriel/Partey is a nice solid 7/10 - it’s gives us a shot a top 4.

Utd can’t be taken serious with Ole, but Sp**s look strong - Liverpool, City, Chelsea and then Arsenal or Sp**s.

say yes

forum master baiter
Think @say yes is rather harsh, calling Edu a fraud, if you consider the environment - his first summer in charge, the affect of Covid, less money than previous years, yet we’ve made two signings we’ve been asking for the last 20 years in a CB and CM of stature and quality.
That was me raging when it looked like we weren't going to sign anyone.

I do have some concerns but am going to hold off judging him properly until next summer when the conditions are more normal and he's had more time in the job.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Ejo6DmrXYAAhcpe

Breaking it down we actually spent a lot of money considering we're in a pandemic and considering we also gave huge wages to Auba/Partey.

Chelsea - Rolled two summers into one and actually didn't spend much overall after Hazard/Morata sales.
City - Usual spend from City even a pandemic won't change that.
Leeds - Promotion money.
Villa - Supposedly spent promotion money/money for staying up.
Wolves - Made sales to offset what they spent.
Liverpool - just won the title and spent peanuts up front for their signings

So in fairness we pushed the boat out considering the times and situation we're in. CL football is absolutely needed to go big next summer.

GunnerShy

Happy with the window. Wanted more (I always will..)

It's a crazy month that last month of the window. You start convincing yourself that players you'd never watched play before will come into your team, adapt instantly and be the missing piece that unlocks the team.

To be fair, Gabriel has shown himself to be the sort of centreback we need! I'm not sure there's a more difficult spot to recruit for in the PL than centreback.

Partey is definitely the midfielder we needed out of him and Aouar. I've said it in other threads, Saka can play that Aouar role far better than any of our players can play the Partey role.

We will still play plenty of 3-4-3 this season so frankly the value wasn't there for Aouar with what they apparently wanted, and it seems like he wasn't convinced about joining the Arsenal. If that's the case, I'm glad we didn't buy him.

Final thoughts:
My concern was that a deadline day RC move for Partey would fail due to the complexity and unforseen issues. We've not done it before so fair play to the team that executed it. Absolutely brilliant really and not something I've associated with Arsenal.

I think Arsenal play their transfer cards particularly close to their chest. Absolutely none of the journalists covering Arsenal know any information Arsenal don't want them to know until the moment they decide to release it. And indeed they'll brief them whichever way they think is best for managing expectations and negotiations. We should keep that in mind.

Is there any other club with our sort of twitter following? And if not, how did it develop?

We have moles, horses, a Reiss Nelson burner account, Eddie Longbridge and his legion of international tribute accounts and for a brief moment a gerbil.

And now, to top it off, a big portion of our Twitter fanbase have been radicalised by an Arabic speaking Bell.

Wife had a go at me for being on my phone all day yesterday, how could I ever try to explain it? If she spent an hour looking at my twitter feed I think she'd divorce me.

In any case bring on Man City

Top Bottom