• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu & Vinai: The Dream Team

Impact

Established Member

Comes across very well in this interview. Vinai has garnered a solid reputation from supporters with links to the club and in the football world and looks to be very ready for this new role.

Think I also appreciate how much responsibility is being given to Edu and Arteta. Empowering football experts to make football decisions is always a good idea. Let's see who they decide on this summer.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Vinai has made it apparent in the past that communication should be better and he has reiterated that in his interview. Might see AGM back
Lip service. We lost the possibility of that when Kronke became 100% share owner.

The club not addressing the redundancies, or the real reasons behind Raul’s exit are examples of how things are gonna be. They don’t have to tell us sh*t basically.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

“get this football club back to where it needs to be”.

Im tired of hearing/reading this. From our weird signings to ever rotating executives.

They know what it takes, stop flipping shuffling at executive level and sign some f*cking decent players - it’s actually not that hard :lol:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
“get this football club back to where it needs to be”.

Im tired of hearing/reading this. From our weird signings to ever rotating executives.

They know what it takes, stop flipping shuffling at executive level and sign some f*cking decent players - it’s actually not that hard :lol:

I agree. They consistently say we need to be winning Premier league and champions league titles but never deliver a squad worthy of that.

With the players we are linked to so far this window I can see a shift from signing players we dont really need to signing players who vastly improve us and give us a lot in areas we lack.

However the only way we will get back there is if these bids and such come to fruition and the players join.

GunnerShy

Just a thought after watching the events of yesterday unfold and City's glorious exit from the UCL last night.

We aspire to be a well ran club that outsmarts the market to perform at the very top without an outside injection of funds.

Which clubs are we actually referring to and wanting to replicate?

EPL
Liverpool

LaLiga
??

Italy
??

Germany
Dortmund
Bayern (bigger than us, but seem so well organised the benchmark at the moment. I really admire the way they refuse to be rinsed for players. They'd never pay £80m for Maguire, they won't pay Havertz' price. They've got an advantage in that they basically guarantee the league if you move there but I think they're the benchmark at the moment)
RB Leipzig - not sure if they're the club to emulate but they've done a great job in building an impressive sporting project on a short period of time.

France
Lyon? - not withstanding a poor season in the league, do good business in the market.

Misc
Ajax - Built a good project but dismantled it for money. There are elements there that we would aspire to emulate.

There's probably half a dozen clubs that we could look to in Europe as role models. That to me shows its not easy running a football club in Europe.

It would be almost impossible to emulate Bayern as the strangle hold they have on the league gives them some natural advantages. So it's the others.

What I would say, looking at Liverpool, RB Leipzig, Ajax and Munich is the importance of getting the right manager.

They need to be able to implement systems, develop players and have a strong vision to be incorporated into the club strategy.

I think to that extent we have made a very promising (albeit unproven) appointment with MA.

Guys like Vinai, Raul are important but they do not bother me as much.

Edus role is important and I hope he does well, if not he will need to be moved along.

The other critical area is commercial. We have been behind the ball here for years and it is a mark against Vinai and others. We must grow this to support everything Mikel can do on the field!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Just a thought after watching the events of yesterday unfold and City's glorious exit from the UCL last night.

We aspire to be a well ran club that outsmarts the market to perform at the very top without an outside injection of funds.

EPL
Liverpool

LaLiga
??

Italy
??

Germany
Dortmund
Bayern (bigger than us, but seem so well organised the benchmark at the moment. I really admire the way they refuse to be rinsed for players. They'd never pay £80m for Maguire, they won't pay Havertz' price. They've got an advantage in that they basically guarantee the league if you move there but I think they're the benchmark at the moment)
RB Leipzig - not sure if they're the club to emulate but they've done a great job in building an impressive sporting project on a short period of time.

France
Lyon? - not withstanding a poor season in the league, do good business in the market.

Misc
Ajax - Built a good project but dismantled it for money. There are elements there that we would aspire to emulate.

There's probably half a dozen clubs that we could look to in Europe as role models. That to me shows its not easy running a football club in Europe.

It would be almost impossible to emulate Bayern as the strangle hold they have on the league gives them some natural advantages. So it's the others.

What I would say, looking at Liverpool, RB Leipzig, Ajax and Munich is the importance of getting the right manager.

They need to be able to implement systems, develop players and have a strong vision to be incorporated into the club strategy.

I think to that extent we have made a very promising (albeit unproven) appointment with MA.

Edus role is important and I hope he does well, if not he will need to be moved along.

The other critical area is commercial. We have been behind the ball here for years and it is a mark against Vinai and others. We must grow this to support everything Mikel can do on the field!

I remember reading somewhere that they’re trying to replicate the Dortmund model however they identify and sign top talent. More recently Dortmund haven’t even been signing unknown players at a very early stage like they done in the past with Lewandowski, Kagawa, Piszczek, Subotic etc but due to their reputation around Europe as one of the best teams for young players to develop, they’ve been able to secure top talent like Håland, Sancho and Bellingham.

Unfortunately for us, we don’t have that reputation especially around the upcoming talent.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I remember reading somewhere that they’re trying to replicate the Dortmund model however they identify and sign top talent.
Well, we’re making a great start with Willian.

I don’t want to be like Dortmund they aren’t truly trying to win. They are happy to buy a player for 10 mil and sell for 80 mil.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

EPL
Liverpool

LaLiga
??

Italy
??

Germany
Dortmund

France

Misc

For this model to work, we need to be good across many departments.
  • Commercial deals as you mentioned.
  • Good scouting system. Identifying those worthy 20/30M players who can make a difference immediately and those 1/2M teenagers who will make a difference in the future. I think this is a space where we are lagging massively. Our scouting has been utter ****e.
  • Academy - We need players to be developed from academy. Even if they are not playing at Arsenal level, they should be playing at mid table level so that we can make some money by selling them. This is an area where we are doing moderately well compared to other clubs.
  • Good transfer negotiations - We should be able to buy players for cheap and sell players for good money. Gazidis bought players for cheap because we were looking for opportunistic buys even if the said players were not what we needed. But he was so bad at selling. Imagine selling RVP to a rival for 22M. And they were bad in managing contracts too, letting everyone run through their contracts and later bending over for them with huge salaries or letting them go for free. After Gazidis, we actually did some good sales. But we are still overpaying when buying players. This summer will give a good idea on how they handle contracts.
Given the **** we have as owners, this is the only way we can stay competitive. But it is not easy.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Well, we’re making a great start with Willian.

I don’t want to be like Dortmund they aren’t truly trying to win. They are happy to buy a player for 10 mil and sell for 80 mil.

I totally agree but isn’t that the main objective with all this self sustaining model crap?

I think we’re going to have to get lucky in the transfer window like Liverpool did if we’re going to have a chance of competing against the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd who can spend loads every summer.

One issue that we have compared to the likes of Dortmund, Liverpool etc is our judgement when selling players that’s why it’ll be interesting to see if we’ve learnt from our previous mistakes (Alexis Sanchez to City) and we sell Lacazette this summer.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Indeed if we are not looking to renew his contract, then its best we sell this summer tbh.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Never mind replicating other clubs why cant we try to replicate our own club of 97 to 03. Identifying players over looked or under appreciated. Henry and Vieira came from Milan and Juventus respectfully. We identified some smashing talent and were seen as the go to club for players. Dortmund wanted to be us so rather than us wanting to be Dortmund why dont we just be us, the best of us.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Never mind replicating other clubs why cant we try to replicate our own club of 97 to 03. Identifying players over looked or under appreciated.

Already on it, tbf...

Philippe-Coutinho-Barcelona-F365.jpg

GunnerShy

I agree with all your comments.

Re Dortmund: they've really developed this ability to pick up some of the tip top talent cheaply. With a promise for games and CL football. Putting them in the shopfront window for the biggest clubs turning a healthy profit along the way whilst establishing themselves as the 2nd best team in Germany.

They don't necessarily look like winning the big trophies often (stars need to.align) but we should be asking why they're able to get.players like Sancho and Haaland ahead of us (CL excepted).

Otherwise it's really hard to do consistently which was my point. Not many do it well.

But we totally need to improve how we negotiate our contracts to retain value (Sanchez, Ramsey, Özil in recent years).

Getting the right price when selling (linked closely with the above point, "one hand washes the other").

Commercial - linked partly.woth on field success bit it's just not been good enough for far too long.

On the top two points, I think recent developments suggest we've improved this and we may have hit rock bottom and be on the way up. Still a lot of contracts to sort out on the next two years. Important to get the right ones done first.

Commercially I think we remain poor

Latest posts+

Top Bottom