• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu Gaspar

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Well Edu is going to be here in the summer and he's going to have to get Rice or whatever big money signing we go for over the line.

So I guess we'll see how he does.
The point is exactly that next summer we can only make a judgement. The earlier big targets all have many factors that explain why they didn't happen. And I have full confidence that it will be a huge summer for Arsenal.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I came reading this thread and saw a Trusted member saying Edu should be sacked next summer. That's what "triggered" me.

It's totally ridiculous, there's not much more stupid thing you could do. It's similar to me as to saying Arteta should have been sacked for finishing 5th last year by 2 points, with the trajectory that he had achieved.
Why does it matter that he’s trusted? :lol:

Secondly being sacked doesn’t = doing a bad job.

Newcastle would ‘sack’ Eddie Howe for Guardiola if they could. Is Howe doing a bad job?

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz

drippin

Saying he's bad at big money/complex signings (like you did) surely means he's bad at his job?
Yep, they said that it's his job to do big signings and that he can't. Anyone could do what Boehly has done if they are willing to spend the money. It's not a skill to throw money.

It's amazing to see this kind of criticism from Arsenal fans. Did Wenger splash the cash non-stop like Boehly? Would he?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Saying he's bad at big money/complex signings (like you did) surely means he's bad at his job?
Nope because his job is getting Arsenal back into Europe’s elite and you don’t really need to pull off big deals for that as we and Liverpool have shown in the past.

His job is going to change very soon though to keeping Arsenal in Europe’s elite. A big part of that is big money/complex deals because improving and maintaining a team at our current level isn’t easy or cheap.

That’s when Liverpool had to start signing the VVDs, Allison’s and Fabinhos of the world. All 50M+, in high demand and/or already playing for relatively big clubs. Completely different game and I haven’t seen much to suggest he’s good at it.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Eyeroll all you want, but you saying edu should be fired after getting us all this way with great signings, if we miss our main targets, is such a **** take man.
Sigh. That is not what I said. Follow the post I quoted… or you know. Learn to read. Etc.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Tbf @Blood on the Tracks came out swinging and saying he wanted him fired already. Might have to cut him loose. Wild cannon.

It's not that I think Edu is woeful, I just think there are more qualified and better experienced people for the job.

I honestly don't know why it's seen as such an outrageous opinion. He's going to be here for the foreseeable anyway :lol:

drippin

Nope because his job is getting Arsenal back into Europe’s elite and you don’t really need to pull off big deals for that as we and Liverpool have shown in the past.

His job is going to change very soon though to keeping Arsenal in Europe’s elite. A big part of that is big money/complex deals because improving and maintaining a team at our current level isn’t easy or cheap.

That’s when Liverpool had to start signing the VVDs, Allison’s and Fabinhos of the world. All 50M+, in high demand and/or already playing for relatively big clubs. Completely different game and I haven’t seen much to suggest he’s good at it.
Edu knows all this, he is not an idiot like many here think. Arteta knows this. Even Kroenke's knows this, they have many successful sports teams, eventhough football is a bit different.

This was the first time in Edu's reign this January when Arsenal had huge pull, but it was a January window with Boehly going crazy.

You know, Edu and Arteta might plan for future too, with not overpaying. They might have a plan you can't see. They might be able to do big deals when Arsenal has similar attraction as other top clubs, which has been only now.

You will see.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

The one major thing in Edu’s defence for me is the role the board are playing, which is abstracted away from us. We have no idea what’s going on there.

Didn't mean to leave you out :lol:

But yeah exactly. Arteta we see everything and it's easy to see what he's doing, point fingers at players etc. Edu and executive level who knows.

I wouldn't say that's the only defence Edu has though but ask me again in September.

drippin

It's not that I think Edu is woeful, I just think there are more qualified and better experienced people for the job.

I honestly don't know why it's seen as such an outrageous opinion. He's going to be here for the foreseeable anyway :lol:
Because you don't change a very good thing for the hope of better things. Imagine where we would be if those who wanted Arteta out got their wish when he finished 5th last season? The project would have been ruined.

Imagine if Edu built the youngest team in EPL, challenging for the title when no one expected it. Then you fire him. The whole sports world would laugh at Arsenal, and it would even affect getting new DoF's if that's the thank you for this kind of success.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

It's about as outrageous as me screaming Arteta is sh*t and doesn't know what he's doing when we finished 8th and look how many till this day took that personally.

Except, Edu's strategy has worked and you guys can't even say what he's done wrong other than not secure Mudryk or the other lad for 80-100 mil each. Players most of the forum have never watched before this season.

drippin

How's Edu now being defined as a 'very good thing'?

9/10 anyone in Arteta's situation after the first 1.5 years fails. You play the percentages not bank on a freakish turnaround. We lucked into it with Arteta.
I edited this in the last post: Imagine if Edu built the youngest team in EPL, challenging for the title when no one expected it. Then you fire him. The whole sports world would laugh at Arsenal, and it would even affect getting new DoF's if that's the thank you for this kind of success.

This conversation is useless if you can't see what he has done with Arteta. It's not hard to see, maybe you see it some day. Maybe next summer. Maybe not even then, if it's all Arteta for you.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I edited this in the last post: Imagine if Edu built the youngest team in EPL, challenging for the title when no one expected it. Then you fire him. The whole sports world would laugh at Arsenal, and it would even affect getting new DoF's if that's the thank you for this kind of success.

This conversation is useless if you can't see what he has done with Arteta. It's not hard to see, maybe you see it some day. Maybe next summer. Maybe not even then, if it's all Arteta for you.

I'll join you on the Edu train but not until he's capable of closing the big deals and I haven't seen it yet because he hasn't done it.

If you want to be a top, top side consistently you need to bring in top, top players and they cost top, top money.

When I see him signing our version of VVD or Alisson or whoever I'll pat him on the back but not until then.

IrishGooner93

The fact is Edu (with Arteta obviously) has essentially rebuilt this squad, a squad now challenging for the title. And this is with a somewhat limited budget to your man utds , boehly Chelsea, City etc. And also without CL football and even at times no European football at all. Smart acquisitions, convincing players like Ødegaard and others. In many of the high profile deals that didn't go our way there's reasons behind them that would be quite unfair to blame on Edu. It's ultimately comes down to your budget, of which ours is limited and attracting players, which Edu and Arteta have done really well.
Look at this summer and January and Arsenal have done the best business in England. Only other is Chelsea who have much more money to throw away than Arsenal. That's not Edus fault. Even then I think arsenal have recruited smarter than Chelseas insane scatter gun approach.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
It's about as outrageous as me screaming Arteta is sh*t and doesn't know what he's doing when we finished 8th

Correct me if I’m wrong but were you not in the majority at the time? Blood is dancing out here all on his own. He definitely wins the outrageousness stakes…

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

This was the first time in Edu's reign this January when Arsenal had huge pull, but it was a January window with Boehly going crazy.

You know, Edu and Arteta might plan for future too, with not overpaying. They might have a plan you can't see. They might be able to do big deals when Arsenal has similar attraction as other top clubs, which has been only now.

You will see.
We both admit that we don’t know how it will go.

We both acknowledge that this January was his ‘trial run’ of getting the big deals in and he didn’t do great.

I guess where we differ is using Chelsea as an excuse. I agree that Todd was moving like a mad man but in summer there’s going to be like five other clubs moving like mad men too. 🤣

If we can’t beat a 10th place Chelsea to players I’m genuinely worried about how he’ll do when we’re looking at players that all the big clubs are interested in. But let’s wait and see eh

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom