• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eduardo Camavinga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
How is this “Arteta doesn’t trust the youth” view still persisting when we played the most youth players in the league last season and are clearly targeting players under the age of 24 this window.
It's clear he wants a balance in his team. I'd like to see him give more chances to Martinelli, Willock and Saliba as well but he hasn't been terrible. Problem is that the players he has prioritised (Mustafi, Kola, Elneny, Willian) have no real future with us as well as no present.

Where I think the attacks on Arteta are unfair are where we give him the impossible problem of starting 4 players for two positions in every match. It's not possible for all of Saka, ESR, Pepe and Martinelli to play in every match so that inevitably means some rotation. Doesn't make him a criminal or vile or some of the other words that get used. He's just managing his squad - a squad we badly need to trim down.

Xanth

I need links to those sources

Pretty sure it was part of an Athletic article but I cannot find it at the moment. Regardless, a cursory glance at the players we've used this season and the ones used by other teams in the league should be enough to give you that impression.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

If we sign this geezer, Lokonga, Maddison, White and Onana. I might even go all @field442 and @OnlyOne and give this window a 10/10.

Any 6th choice Portuguese CM's and it's not going above a 3 tho.

Camavinga & Lokonga get run over in the PL first season, give me Neves alongside Partey so we have a ready-made midfield. None of this adaption rubbish.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Those free range eggs might be premium but there's a really bad egg in there, yolks all smashed up inside already. The other egg could make a stunning omelette but on the flip side it could make a terrible omelette. Nobody knows yet.

We will never know because Arteta is ready to give them to a food bank as their contracts are running down. Oooops, I mean their expiry date is becoming closer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
It's clear he wants a balance in his team. I'd like to see him give more chances to Martinelli, Willock and Saliba as well but he hasn't been terrible. Problem is that the players he has prioritised (Mustafi, Kola, Elneny, Willian) have no real future with us as well as no present.

Where I think the attacks on Arteta are unfair are where we give him the impossible problem of starting 4 players for two positions in every match. It's not possible for all of Saka, ESR, Pepe and Martinelli to play in every match so that inevitably means some rotation. Doesn't make him a criminal or vile or some of the other words that get used. He's just managing his squad - a squad we badly need to trim down.

I get what you say about rotation but for me he rotates too much. I read he only played the same team the following game once all season, that's no way to create a team. I would like to see more of a starting 11, unless we change formation in certain games. Those left out can still come on as subs and he would still need to rotate every 5 games or so, or against a particular opponent. I just dont want him changing every game until we are in the same position as City.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service

If he gave serious thought to Pepe in the middle that could actually be possible, I have a sneaking suspicion Wenger would have successfully converted him. It also has the type of Balance I like- two creators, two finishers. Match up goal scoring potential with creative potential.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I get what you say about rotation but for me he rotates too much. I read he only played the same team the following game once all season, that's no way to create a team. I would like to see more of a starting 11, unless we change formation in certain games. Those left out can still come on as subs and he would still need to rotate every 5 games or so, or against a particular opponent. I just dont want him changing every game until we are in the same position as City.
I agree, Mikel rotated way too much. I really hope that it was down to a shorter season because of Covid and the fact we had a bloated squad with over 30 players. Football is so much about partnerships and understanding between players and we will never get that without a settled side and less rotation.

Hopefully we will go into the season with more like 22-24 players and see far more consistency in selection and as a result consistency in performance.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I highly doubt we sign Lokonga, a young kid new to the PL, and Camavinga in the same window. I think we will go with a PL proven player as the main CM, or a guy a bit more established on the international scene. But who knows.

Barry

If he gave serious thought to Pepe in the middle that could actually be possible, I have a sneaking suspicion Wenger would have successfully converted him. It also has the type of Balance I like- two creators, two finishers. Match up goal scoring potential with creative potential.
It's an interesting idea. Pepe is a bit of an enigma and he can certainly pick a pass. I'm not sure how he'd do at number 10 though. If he carries his form from the back end of last season over he should be one of the first names on the team sheet though, above Saka even when they don't both play.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
It's an interesting idea. Pepe is a bit of an enigma and he can certainly pick a pass. I'm not sure how he'd do at number 10 though. If he carries his form from the back end of last season over he should be one of the first names on the team sheet though, above Saka even when they don't both play.
I actually meant striker/false 9, Esr at 10 and Saka and Martinelli on the wing. Martinelli would hopefully score more, so the two creators would be saka and esr and the finishers would be Pepe and Martinelli.

Barry

I actually meant striker/false 9, Esr at 10 and Saka and Martinelli on the wing. Martinelli would hopefully score more, so the two creators would be saka and esr and the finishers would be Pepe and Martinelli.
Reckon that would be worth a try for sure

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

He just followed David Luiz as well 👀
Eduardo-Cesar-Gaspar-007.jpg

SIUUUUUUUUUU

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Is he that good? Doesn't seem wonder kid levels to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom