• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 šŸ›’

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 963,582

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperino

Itā€™s Timo Time

If we're bringing in two more I can imagine one of those being a loan player, probably with option to buy.

I'd sign the midfielder and loan a striker. Winger can wait. A loan for Malen, Ekitike, Isak or someone else young would be my approach.

Ekitike joined PSG recently. Isak is not a winger.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
martin freeman yawn GIF
Bless. The mature response of someone who's been caught talking out of their arse

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Even if you swapped out Camavinga for Xhaka you would have a playmaking issue because he can't pass nearly as well as Xhaka. There's no one in our team who has deep lying playmaking and passing between like Xhaka. And there's few players that we can get who can offer that while offering the defensive contribution while keeping possession that Xhaka offers.

To all the Xhaka haters, which deep lying playmaker is an upgrade that we can realistically get? We could get Neves or Tielemans but I'm not surely they're definite upgrades. Who's definitely better that we can get who has the range of passing, the progressive passes, the creativity alongside the defensive workrate?

Ish. Because while his passing isn't as good, Camavinga is a brilliant ball carrier, and is so good getting back he can wander out of his hole more. He wouldn't be better for the team TODAY, but his ceiling is so high, you would still prioritise him.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ā­

Player:Saliba
Vieira competition? He needs to recover from injuries, train and get in form because he has no preseason and settle first. Then we can start talking about competition. I don't expect anything from his first year here.

He's in full training now. Deffo is a shame he didn't have a pre-season but think he can contribute and if not "compete" at least relieve burden on Ƙdegaard and provide similar player for the second XI

To me ideal is we can keep playing style as similar as possible between first XI and EL/Cup the so interchanging due to injury is more seamless.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Even if you swapped out Camavinga for Xhaka you would have a playmaking issue because he can't pass nearly as well as Xhaka. There's no one in our team who has deep lying playmaking and passing between like Xhaka. And there's few players that we can get who can offer that while offering the defensive contribution while keeping possession that Xhaka offers.

To all the Xhaka haters, which deep lying playmaker is an upgrade that we can realistically get? We could get Neves or Tielemans but I'm not surely they're definite upgrades. Who's definitely better that we can get who has the range of passing, the progressive passes, the creativity alongside the defensive workrate?
Camavinga is a better passer than Xhaka man. Come on dawg, delete this.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
He's in full training now. Deffo is a shame he didn't have a pre-season but think he can contribute and if not "compete" at least relieve burden on Ƙdegaard and provide similar player for the second XI

To me ideal is we can keep playing style as similar as possible between first XI and EL/Cup the so interchanging due to injury is more seamless.
I agree on this, but I'll keep saying it... People should keep expectations low for the first year at least. He is young and we need to see him first. Vitinha was the main prospect on that team, not him. He was a sub and not regular player so there are some red flags on him. So let's see how this turns, it could be very well but there are some chances of him not being regular, flopping and not having a great attitude.

Regista21

In my opinion, there's one signing left - A left center midfielder. Arsenal needs someone with the profile of Thiago.
Now, I believe Arteta might be inclined to use Vieira and Ƙdegaard together upfront, inverting Zinchenko to be this creative midfielder and finally use Martinelli/Smith-Rowe on the left more as a winger. I think this is not the better option.
In my opinion, the best scenario would be to sign a LCM, allow Tierney/Zinchenko to operate upfront and left Martinelli/Smith-Rowe more centralized alongside Ƙdegaard. I would 100% bring Tielemans, he would make Arsenal way better on the buildup.

ChefMan21

So is the club thinking Martinelli is the second/third striker option? I know he's bloody brilliant and super talented, but it just feels to me like we'd be short on the dedicated striker front...

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone šŸ“²
I agree on this, but I'll keep saying it... People should keep expectations low for the first year at least. He is young and we need to see him first. Vitinha was the main prospect on that team, not him. He was a sub and not regular player so there are some red flags on him. So let's see how this turns, it could be very well but there are some chances of him not being regular, flopping and not having a great attitude.
Fabio won't play that's for sure. 0 experience here, he will get smoked.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
We don't play with 2 DPL anymore... The only doing that role and sitting deep in the middle is Partey. Get that idea out of your mind. He has been played very high.

What it really makes funny to me.is the idea being critic is same to being "xHaKa HaTEeR"... That's a modern way to say, don't be objective because I get hurt about it.

The man is slow to play that high on the pitch and literally no can't dribble. He hasn't good enough assists nor key passes and big chances created. That role it's one of the most creatives in football and we have him.

His best position is DPL in a slow pace league. In PL he can't deal with the pace and pressing. So the problem is if we play him deep in Partey role he can't stop losing balls and if we play him high to minimize his errors on the exit then we lose a lot of creativity and we got dependant of Ƙdegaard creating like he were prime Ɩzil.

While Xhaka does play higher, he's still responsible for our passing and distribution. Partey can't do that, he can beat a player and pass it 10 yards. Xhaka is the 1 giving us the 50 yard passes that no one else in the team can provide. Who do you suggest we replace Xhaka's passing range with?

A question was asked, you avoided it

Also the idea that we lose creativity in our current system is BS, it's the most creative we've been under Teta

6666Louis

Sorry to tagteam,

Xhakas passing range!? Main thing is that he is too slow in brain and body. Which mean his passing only turns good when he is allowed a lot of time on the ball

Z is a better passer.

He has been decent recently, but purposely has neither vital defensive nor offensive responsibly

If we should take our starting eleven up a level, this is a good position too start. Or where? Homeboy

Halcyon Daze

Exactly. He's such a damn bonehead that the rare mostly blemish free game is treated like something that would get a 10 in L'Equipe. Even against Palace when he easily could have been sent off for sheer stupidity you have people acting like it was some kind of virtuoso performance. It's impossible to take that kind of delusion seriously. Last year apparently he was more mature despite the usual sloppy play leading to goals conceded and being sent off when the team absolutely couldn't afford it. It's a joke. He's an alleged professional nearing 30, not a child. We don't need to hype up mediocrity because his usual level is below that.
Wait, youā€™re not allowed to criticise him on here. If you do, you ā€œdonā€™t watch footballā€. FFS.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
The issue isn't so much that Xhaka shouldn't be someone we are looking to upgrade from, but rather who are the realistic attainable upgrades that fit our needs?

Tielemans is a more creative passer, more two footed and a goal threat from distance. He's also worse positionally, lacks physical strength, seldom covers for teammates effectively and has none of the tactical flexibility. He'd be lovely as another option so we could 'horses for courses', but he doesn't replace Xhaka.

Who is out there that people think is a better player, as good a fit tactically, is oven ready, is a senior pro and is someone we can obtain?

Like I love Paqueta, but at LCM he changes the balance of the team in a way that may or may not work

Similar difficulty with a TP option, where no-one who can do what he does will come here to sit on the bench - which is presumably why we are waiting to see what happens with the legal situation.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

We've provided competition for Tierney and Ƙdegaard in Zinchenko and Vieira
And Saliba is in a sense improvement on Cedric, because White is better RB than Cedric.

Saliba coming in also can be seen as freeing Tomiyasu to play any position in defence as backup. So it's also an improvement on Tavares (Tomi was better as LB, because he is solid), which can free Zinchenko to midfield if needed.

Funny that some people keep suggesting Saliba isn't like a new signing who improves our team a lot this season. He is the epitome of LANS, having never played for us yet.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
The issue isn't so much that Xhaka shouldn't be someone we are looking to upgrade from, but rather who are the realistic attainable upgrades that fit our needs?

Tielemans is a more creative passer, more two footed and a goal threat from distance. He's also worse positionally, lacks physical strength, seldom covers for teammates effectively and has none of the tactical flexibility. He'd be lovely as another option so we could 'horses for courses', but he doesn't replace Xhaka.

Who is out there that people think is a better player, as good a fit tactically, is oven ready, is a senior pro and is someone we can obtain?

Like I love Paqueta, but at LCM he changes the balance of the team in a way that may or may not work

Similar difficulty with a TP option, where no-one who can do what he does will come here to sit on the bench - which is presumably why we are waiting to see what happens with the legal situation.

SMS
Barella
Soler
Mikel Merino
Kessie
Marcos Llorente
Matheus Nunes
McGinn
JWP
Caqueret
Seko Fofana
Gerson