• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Considering Transfer Targets: Summer 2022 🛒

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 14,044
  • Views 968,005

If we only make one more signing, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Not sure how else you can explain the support for such a destructive and incompetent manager.

If you'd take a look at my post history, you'd find none despise Tets more than I do.

I will joyfully weep the day his coiffed mug has departed Arsenal. Until then, I'll simply support the club & ignore the cameras once they zoom in on the bench :lol:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Xhaka isn’t a weak link, it’s time to stop this nonsense.
He's been one of the weak links since he signed but still he persists. He's the reason we went to 3/5 at the back under Wenger. Through his involvement as Captain (disaster) and senior ever present CM we have not once been able to qualify for the CL.

Is it all his fault? No. Has he had a major part to play? Absolutely.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
When he picks ups his customary back breaking red card at the most inopportune time it will be fun to revisit this.

He picked those up last season and was still one of our best players

Arsenal have declined a lot under Arteta, now Xhaka is basically the second name in the teamsheet.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

He picked those up last season and was still one of our best players

Arsenal have declined a lot under Arteta, now Xhaka is basically the second name in the teamsheet.
What I find interesting about Xhaka's cult following is that they could never name a club that relies upon a player as limited and ill disciplined as he is that wins the things we want to win. You look at every club in Europe that's competing for the biggest prizes domestically and continentally every year and you cannot find one that has a player like Xhaka as a nailed on starter. The way they speak about him you would swear he was Zidane yet anyone who has been following this club knows that when we actually have players good enough for other clubs to want, every summer there are rumors of interested suitors. This guy couldn't get dusty Roma to pay for him after he twerked for them all summer but he's some elite player we can't upgrade on?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
What I find interesting about Xhaka's cult following is that they could never name a club that relies upon a player as limited and ill disciplined as he is that wins the things we want to win. You look at every club in Europe that's competing for the biggest prizes domestically and continentally every year and you cannot find one that has a player like Xhaka as a nailed on starter. The way they speak about him you would swear he was Zidane yet anyone who has been following this club knows that when we actually have players good enough for other clubs to want, every summer there are rumors of interested suitors. This guy couldn't get dusty Roma to pay for him after he twerked for them all summer but he's some elite player we can't upgrade on?
Same old strawman binary argument nonsense.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks he's an elite player that can't be upgraded. It's just is difficult to upgrade on his balance and tactical influence because there aren't that many experienced, professional left footed central midfielders who can fulfill the roles he does, and even fewer that might be available at a fee we can meet.

There just aren't that many experienced 2 way central midfielders that are within our grasp at the moment, meaning you either need someone young, or someone who is more of a one way player. I'd say that given the balance of the squad, he remains a vital piece for at least this coming season - we just don't have that many players that bring his best qualities.

We all know he's not a player at our aspirational level, but the improvements and maturity in his performances over the last season show his determination to evolve with the team.

Of course could we get a Camavinga level prospect, we wouldn't be as fussed about experience etc.

Until someone suggests an alternative that is both within our grasp and doesn't negatively affect the balance of the tam, its something of a moot point. Its not as if there are Vieira level kids knocking about.

This can all change quickly though depending on what happens with the number 6 position.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

I don't think anyone seriously thinks he's an elite player that can't be upgraded. It's just is difficult to upgrade on his balance and tactical influence because there aren't that many experienced, professional left footed central midfielders who can fulfill the roles he does, and even fewer that might be available at a fee we can meet.

There just aren't that many experienced 2 way central midfielders that are within our grasp at the moment, meaning you either need someone young, or someone who is more of a one way player. I'd say that given the balance of the squad, he remains a vital piece for at least this coming season - we just don't have that many players that bring his best qualities.

We all know he's not a player at our aspirational level, but the improvements and maturity in his performances over the last season show his determination to evolve with the team.

Of course could we get a Camavinga level prospect, we wouldn't be as fussed about experience etc.

Until someone suggests an alternative that is both within our grasp and doesn't negatively affect the balance of the tam, its something of a moot point. Its not as if there are Vieira level kids knocking about.

This can all change quickly though depending on what happens with the number 6 position.
martin freeman yawn GIF

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka

They seem to be mostly joking around now, you certainly didn't have them back then gushing so much over his social media or saying his performances for Switzerland were better than Zidane's or whatever.

But also, thanks to having such a young side and not really playing good football for such a long time some of Xhaka's attributes get to shine more I guess, his leadership of course, but also his natural fitness when you compare him to Partey's recurring injuries and his mental resilience, probably the reason his level didn't drop while the likes of Laca and Auba became shadows of what they were.

Beyond Xhaka I find interesting just how much we neglect the whole midfield in general. If yellow box guy gets charged according to most people here we'll be in huge trouble, yet we apparently don't care.

Leo_ense_

AnthonyG Survivor
They seem to be mostly joking around now, you certainly didn't have them back then gushing so much over his social media or saying his performances for Switzerland were better than Zidane's or whatever.

But also, thanks to having such a young side and not really playing good football for such a long time some of Xhaka's attributes get to shine more I guess, his leadership of course, but also his natural fitness when you compare him to Partey's recurring injuries and his mental resilience, probably the reason his level didn't drop while the likes of Laca and Auba became shadows of what they were.

Beyond Xhaka I find interesting just how much we neglect the whole midfield in general. If yellow box guy gets charged according to most people here we'll be in huge trouble, yet we apparently don't care.

Either the club have some confidence that yellow box guy won’t get charged or they are banking on Zinny to step up in midfield.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

Even if you swapped out Camavinga for Xhaka you would have a playmaking issue because he can't pass nearly as well as Xhaka. There's no one in our team who has deep lying playmaking and passing between like Xhaka. And there's few players that we can get who can offer that while offering the defensive contribution while keeping possession that Xhaka offers.

To all the Xhaka haters, which deep lying playmaker is an upgrade that we can realistically get? We could get Neves or Tielemans but I'm not surely they're definite upgrades. Who's definitely better that we can get who has the range of passing, the progressive passes, the creativity alongside the defensive workrate?

RacingPhoton

Established Member
As always, if Xhaka didn't make a mistake in a game, it means he had a great game. He was a serious liability when he was played deep in front of defense. Then he was moved forward, a role which requires you to contribute in creating goal scoring chances. Most good players in that role get plenty of assists and rack up statistics on through balls and big chances created. Those numbers are absolutely abysmal for him last season. He walked through most of the games, passing the ball to the player to his left. Had about 2/3 good games where he genuinely contributed. People are already considering giving him player of the season award.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

To all the Xhaka haters, which deep lying playmaker is an upgrade that we can realistically get? We could get Neves or Tielemans but I'm not surely they're definite upgrades. Who's definitely better that we can get who has the range of passing, the progressive passes, the creativity alongside the defensive workrate?
For me it has always been obvious that a club like Arsenal needs to have Xhaka in a rotational role, not a clear starter when the next player in line is Elneny. That's absolutely ridiculous.

So even if Tielemans is similar level, he is 4,5 years younger, so he has potential to get better and costs only like 25-30 million.

Him and Xhaka can rotate and the better performing one can play more than the other. And we can sell Xhaka in a year or two, and even upgrade the bench. Or buy someone like Bellingham or similar level.

It's not about either or, we need quality depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom