• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Release Clause Targets: January 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,770
  • Views 285,867

Which CF would you sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I see people are starting to come around to Gouiri :lol::lol:

I really think he’s the pick of the bunch. I’d take him over all of Isak, Vlahovic and David. Even with price being equal tbh. He’s far more technical than any of those three and I want Arsenal to have technically gifted players. He’s not one to spam crosses to, but long term that’s not what the club should look to do anyways. Perfect as a second striker in our current setup and I believe he’d work very well as kind of a cf/false 9 or LW in a 4-3-3 l, should we ever get as far as utilizing that.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

I really think he’s the pick of the bunch. I’d take him over all of Isak, Vlahovic and David. Even with price being equal tbh. He’s far more technical than any of those three and I want Arsenal to have technically gifted players. He’s not one to spam crosses to, but long term that’s not what the club should look to do anyways. Perfect as a second striker in our current setup and I believe he’d work very well as kind of a cf/false 9 or LW in a 4-3-3 l, should we ever get as far as utilizing that.
I've been a Gouiri fan since someone on here pointed him out last season. Like @drippin said he passes the eye test as well as having good numbers. Think there's question marks over all of the striker options but the fact that this guy is an athletic baller makes him stand out for me. He'd be useful even if the goals dry up.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think it is really difficult to measure whether a striker who really thrive in England. However, I think what we need to look at in terms of the eye test is the types of goals and types of assists they get, but also do they bring something different? Something devastating. I don't think Gouri or David bring that. I think Vlahovic brings the physicality, but I don't think he would ever surpass Giroud level production.

Isak on the other hand. The similarities to Henry are apparent. Pace, height, dribbling. It is potentially devastating. It's the dribbling for me. I think having a cf that does that with the potential to become good in the air is a game changer.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I think it is really difficult to measure whether a striker who really thrive in England. However, I think what we need to look at in terms of the eye test is the types of goals and types of assists they get, but also do they bring something different? Something devastating. I don't think Gouri or David bring that. I think Vlahovic brings the physicality, but I don't think he would ever surpass Giroud level production.

Isak on the other hand. The similarities to Henry are apparent. Pace, height, dribbling. It is potentially devastating. It's the dribbling for me. I think having a cf that does that with the potential to become good in the air is a game changer.
I agree on Isak, but as a Swede, following him in NT and Sociedad he’s so inconsistent when it comes to his touch. I honestly think Pépé is more consistent on the ball. Isak is the type of player that can, and will dribble/stumble the ball pass the extended goal line even when not being under immense pressure. That’s what puts him off for me. The technique is there, but he’s been consistently inconsistent. He has all the traits of a class striker and if he fixes his touch, concentration or whatever is failing him, he’ll be a monster.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Problem with Isak is his contract until 2026, so he will cost his release clause 77 million pounds, which is 90 million euros.

That's at least 40 million euros more than Gouiri. He is 180 cm tall.

We need a great midfielder next summer, or even two if we let go of many, so it all depends on our funds of course.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

You pay the money for Isak its a no brainer, cheap cf's will not do. Cf plus 2 cm's and were good to go, lets see if KSG pay up?!

drippin

You pay the money for Isak its a no brainer, cheap cf's will not do. Cf plus 2 cm's and were good to go, lets see if KSG pay up?!
50 million euros is not exactly cheap. Last leason GFFN rated Gouiri as the 3rd biggest transfer target in Ligue 1, Jonathan David who is more expensive, was like 16th or something.

Gouiri has continued his performances to this season. It's not always about the price, but the opportunity to sign a very good player for cheaper because of their contract situation.

Gouiri is a possible bargain, especially if getting him for like 30-40 million euros, Isak not so much.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree on Isak, but as a Swede, following him in NT and Sociedad he’s so inconsistent when it comes to his touch. I honestly think Pépé is more consistent on the ball. Isak is the type of player that can, and will dribble/stumble the ball pass the extended goal line even when not being under immense pressure. That’s what puts him off for me. The technique is there, but he’s been consistently inconsistent. He has all the traits of a class striker and if he fixes his touch, concentration or whatever is failing him, he’ll be a monster.
Watching him in the euros. I can't say I saw any massive inconsistencies touch wise. Decision making yes. However, the inconsistency of a cf is going to be higher than that of a winger. Also watching him as you do, the judgment is going to be harsher. Just like we see our players differently to other supporters.

Based on who scored, unsuccessful touches and fbref miscontrols and dispossessed.

Vlahovic - 3.9 , fbref 3.12, 2.76 dispossessed
Gouri - 1.8 , fbref 2.11, 2.8 dispossessed
David - 2.3, fbref 2.87, 1.95 dispossessed
Isak - 1.6 , fbref 2.21, 1.77 dispossessed

Vlahovic and David lose the ball more than Isak and Gouiri. However, Vlahovic and Isak play as a lone front man. It's a vital point. It's how we would look to play.

There is no way Gouiri and David come into England and lead the line. Isak is the best fit for it and has the highest ceiling in terms of development for a lone striker as well.

drippin

Watching him in the euros. I can't say I saw any massive inconsistencies touch wise. Decision making yes. However, the inconsistency of a cf is going to be higher than that of a winger. Also watching him as you do, the judgment is going to be harsher. Just like we see our players differently to other supporters.

Based on who scored, unsuccessful touches and fbref miscontrols and dispossessed.

Vlahovic and David lose the ball more than Isak and Gouiri. However, Vlahovic and Isak play as a lone front man. It's a vital point. It's how we would look to play.

There is no way Gouiri and David come into England and lead the line. Isak is the best fit for it and has the highest ceiling in terms of development for a lone striker as well.
The point is that Nice want 50 million euros for Gouiri, but with 2 years in contract, they might sell him for 40-45 million euros.

Looking at those stats, is Isak 2x better/more potential player than Gouiri?

Like I said, it depends on our funds. I see our midfield the biggest area to improve, but there are good bargains in the summer in that position too. Buying two good midfield players might cost like 100 million.

The idea behind getting Gouiri as a bargain next summer, is to replace Lacazette. The season after that we need to replace Auba.

So there is space for Gouiri, who can also play LW in a similar role as ESR. He did play half of his games as LW in his first season, and got good numbers there.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Sign me up! Would you take Sterling and Gouiri? It’s become my wish list in the last couple days.

Saka ESR Sterling
Gouiri

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The point is that Nice want 50 million euros for Gouiri, but with 2 years in contract, they might sell him for 40-45 million euros.

Looking at those stats, is Isak 2x better/more potential player than Gouiri?

Like I said, it depends on our funds. I see our midfield the biggest area to improve, but there are good bargains in the summer in that position too. Buying two good midfield players might cost like 100 million.

The idea behind getting Gouiri as a bargain next summer, is to replace Lacazette. The season after that we need to replace Auba.

So there is space for Gouiri, who can also play LW in a similar role as ESR. He did play half of his games as LW in his first season, and got good numbers there.
We have replaced Lacazette with Ødegaard. We are buying Isak to replace Auba.

Isak and Ødegaard have played and trained with each other for a year.

The question isn't whether Isak is twice as good as Gouiri, it is whether Gouiri is better than Lacazette. I don't think he athletically has that high of a ceiling. I don't think he will mirror his goal contribution. Where as Isak to me, has elite physicality. He can beat 2 players on the dribble and still accelerate away. I would rather pay 70 million for someone who has at least one elite attribute than 50 million to save 20 million because they are a younger than Lacazette and can play more than one position.

If we are able to spend 150 million again this summer. Then buying De Jong and Isak for 150 makes sense when you look at who is up for sale.

Leno, Torreira, Pepe, Guendouzi, AMN, Chambers, Elneny, Xhaka all likely on the market.

We could be smart and pick up Zakaria on free and have Partey, Zakaria, De Jong and Lokonga as midfield options.

We would still have enough to buy a back up rb, rw and gk.

drippin

The question isn't whether Isak is twice as good as Gouiri, it is whether Gouiri is better than Lacazette. I don't think he athletically has that high of a ceiling. I don't think he will mirror his goal contribution. Where as Isak to me, has elite physicality. He can beat 2 players on the dribble and still accelerate away. I would rather pay 70 million for someone who has at least one elite attribute than 50 million to save 20 million because they are a younger than Lacazette and can play more than one position.

If we are able to spend 150 million again this summer. Then buying De Jong and Isak for 150 makes sense when you look at who is up for sale.

Leno, Torreira, Pepe, Guendouzi, AMN, Chambers, Elneny, Xhaka all likely on the market.

We could be smart and pick up Zakaria on free and have Partey, Zakaria, De Jong and Lokonga as midfield options.

We would still have enough to buy a back up rb, rw and gk.
Good points. I don't think either are bad plans.

The point for me is do we go big on a midfielder next window or a striker.

For me midfield is the bigger area to improve, even with two great players. As Auba still has contract and has been better this season again.

Because we could sell/let go of Xhaka, Elneny and AMN. That would leave us with Partey and Sambi only.

But there are many great midfielders in the market next summer with under 2 years in contract. So 100 million should be enough there (I'm not thinking of Bellingham, it's not realistic at all. Or even De Jong.)

Tchouameni, Guimaraes and Gravenberch are some of those. Who else with under 2 years in contract? Aouar of course, but he's not what we likely need anymore.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

50 million euros is not exactly cheap. Last leason GFFN rated Gouiri as the 3rd biggest transfer target in Ligue 1, Jonathan David who is more expensive, was like 16th or something.

Gouiri has continued his performances to this season. It's not always about the price, but the opportunity to sign a very good player for cheaper because of their contract situation.

Gouiri is a possible bargain, especially if getting him for like 30-40 million euros, Isak not so much.
Value for money should not be our priority right now, moving up the league and making cl will pay the extra.

drippin

Value for money should not be our priority right now, moving up the league and making cl will pay the extra.
Value for money should always be a priority, especially when we have been out of UCL for along time and now without Europe at all.

But one of the points is that people want to upgrade Xhaka, and if we use 90 million euros for Isak, we might not have money to upgrade him.

So somethings gotta give. Like I said, there are some nice bargains on the midfielder market, so we might be able to spend more on the striker in the summer.

drippin

So the important point is also Auba, who can still be our 1st/2nd striker next season, with Gouiri coming to compete similar to Laca.

Buying someone like Isak the season after (I wonder if his release clause lessens or stays the same through the contract?) to replace Auba, would leave us with EPL adjusted Gouiri and newcomer Isak as our strikers, who has also matured more. That's very young though...

I think our whole play would improve more with focusing more on the midfield next. And to take away the need to play Partey all the time is important.

It's interesting to see what happens, but we are in a good position in the sense that great CMF & ST bargains are on the market next summer, which are exactly our positions in need. If we could get UCL...

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Value for money should always be a priority, especially when we have been out of UCL for along time and now without Europe at all.

But one of the points is that people want to upgrade Xhaka, and if we use 90 million euros for Isak, we might not have money to upgrade him.

So somethings gotta give. Like I said, there are some nice bargains on the midfielder market, so we might be able to spend more on the striker in the summer.
Penny pinching has got us nowhere, if a player is available on the cheap then fine do it. The cf market is limited in the quality department and if we have to overpay then so be it. That said getting 2 cms should be the priority!

drippin

Penny pinching has got us nowhere, if a player is available on the cheap then fine do it. The cf market is limited in the quality department and if we have to overpay then so be it. That said getting 2 cms should be the priority!
Yeah, I think we all here agree mostly. Good conversation.

Now let's get UCL, starting today! ;)

(I'm still interested in DMF/CMF names who have under 2 years in contract next summer. Zakaria was one mentioned too. Caqueret will have a year left also.

2 years left: Tchouameni, Guimaraes,
1 year left: Caqueret, Gravenberch
0 years left: Zakaria

Pogba will likely leave for free so United will be sure competition.)

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I’ve been thinking about whether it’s some sort of reverse confirmation bias on my part, but I genuinely don’t think so. I’d love having a Swede with world class potential playing for Arsenal, but imho he’s not there yet.

I don’t think Gouiri is either tbf, but we need someone to replace Laca and Isak’s not it.
Let’s be clear on one thing. We did NOT buy Ødegaard to replace Laca :lol:
We bought him because we desperately needed an AM. Saying we brought in Ødegaard to replace Laca is twisting the truth in hindsight and it’s still a stretch.

This is a very good point. An important note to make is that MØ played as RW and RM in a 4-3-3 though.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Good points. I don't think either are bad plans.

The point for me is do we go big on a midfielder next window or a striker.

For me midfield is the bigger area to improve, even with two great players. As Auba still has contract and has been better this season again.

Because we could sell/let go of Xhaka, Elneny and AMN. That would leave us with Partey and Sambi only.

But there are many great midfielders in the market next summer with under 2 years in contract. So 100 million should be enough there (I'm not thinking of Bellingham, it's not realistic at all. Or even De Jong.

Tchouameni, Guimaraes and Gravenberch are some of those. Who else with under 2 years in contract? Aouar of course, but he's not what we likely need anymore.
Franck Kessié’s contract expires in June 2022. I’d put forward Bennacer as well. He’s contracted until 2024 iirc, but should be gettable at a decent fee

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Sign me up! Would you take Sterling and Gouiri? It’s become my wish list in the last couple days.

Saka ESR Sterling
Gouiri
I don’t know tbh. Like I think it’s down right stupid to say no to Sterling, but I’m unsure about playing a 4231. Would rather have a 433 with Sterling LW and Gouiri playing a bit like Firmino (a player he has a similar statistical profile too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom