• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Relentless Transfer Targets: January 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 7,563
  • Views 512,895
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If Xhaka can be great at #8, I don't have much doubts that Rice can't. Also take into account that Partey surely can play #8? Also take into account that Partey surely can play #8?
One thing Xhaka has always had, even at his worst is a sweet left foot. He can make the ball do exactly what he wants and I'm really not surprised he's doing well in this attacking role where the quality of your final ball/shot is very important. I don't know if rice has that but again, football circles suggest he has (Wilshere saying he was the best finisher at West Ham etc.)

We saw Partey at #8 and he really wasn't good. I don't know if you remember me saying that what makes Partey a top DM is that he's very very good on the ball for a DM but as an attacking CM he's kind of average. Same way that good on the ball for a CB is very different to good on the ball for a DM. @2Smokeyy and I were maybe the only two people calling for Partey to be pushed further back and now he's excelling. I wouldn't want him anywhere the 8 role except in emergency.
But it looks like they rate Danilo very much. He is also the easiest addition to make this January. He is only 21,5 years old which is nothing for a DMF.

It's interesting to observe what they will do. Danilo in January for 25 million, and Tielemans for free in the summer would be quite nice. But this would block any other top midfielders from coming.

The other side of the coin is that it would enable possibly getting something like a 100 million top winger.

Honestly wouldn't mind that strategy. At the end of the day attacking signings usually have the greatest impact. I'd rather spend 100M on the next great forward or attacking mid than 70M on Rice for example.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Not reading the last paragraph as there are loads of numbers and it looks mathematical.

That being said we've seen guys like Aouar dominate City on more than one occasion, same with Juventus. Lots of guys have looked bright in the CL only to not really go the places many thought so I am not sure how much of a measure that is, I think the best measure is consistency across multiple seasons at a high level. I think with Jude, I'd need to see maybe one, or two more seasons, especially when you look at Haaland and how he's done. My fear is it's too soon for him, but how long can you leave it? He probably leaves this season.
You defo read it. Agree but I think performances against pressing sides weighs a bit more heavily for teams that play our kind of football. Aouar could dominate city but if he goes to a team that doesn't dominate the ball then one of his key strenghths vanishes and he suddenly looks ordinary. Good point though.

With Jude we literally can't afford to wait one of two seasons and that's the problem really. We might already be ruled out tbh but I'm hoping us having such a good season, our upwards trajectory and being in London can turn his head.

It is a risky-ass transfer though and if we miss out on him I'll only be mildly annoyed. It's not like missing out on Mbappe or anything like that.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
]

As a younger brother myself I disagree.
So many things make sense now that we know you were a bullied younger brother. Your username, general bitterness, trying too hard to prove yourself…

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

You defo read it. Agree but I think performances against pressing sides weighs a bit more heavily for teams that play our kind of football. Aouar could dominate city but if he goes to a team that doesn't dominate the ball then one of his key strenghths vanishes and he suddenly looks ordinary. Good point though.

With Jude we literally can't afford to wait one of two seasons and that's the problem really. We might already be ruled out tbh but I'm hoping us having such a good season, our upwards trajectory and being in London can turn his head.

It is a risky-ass transfer though and if we miss out on him I'll only be mildly annoyed. It's not like missing out on Mbappe or anything like that.

I didn't. It'll be an interesting one for sure, I think in CM you can say Rice, De Jong, Neves & Jude are all top players who will move this summer and we should be in for at least one.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

One thing Xhaka has always had, even at his worst is a sweet left foot. He can make the ball do exactly what he wants and I'm really not surprised he's doing well in this attacking role where the quality of your final ball/shot is very important. I don't know if rice has that but again, football circles suggest he has (Wilshere saying he was the best finisher at West Ham etc.)

We saw Partey at #8, I don't know if you remember me saying what makes Partey a top DM is that he's very very good on the ball for a DM but as an attacking CM he's kind of average. Same way that good on the ball for a CB is very different to good on the ball for a DM. @2Smokeyy and I were maybe the only two people calling for Partey to be pushed further back. I wouldn't want him anywhere the 8 role except in emergency.
Partey is a great player overall, now without injuries in this tactic, I assume he would be better at #8. The comparison was anyway for Rice, if he can't do it, then Partey can.

Honestly wouldn't mind that strategy. At the end of the day attacking signings usually have the greatest impact. I'd rather spend 100M on the next great forward or attacking mid than 70M on Rice for example.
People doubt Tielemans, but for free you can't find a better deal anywhere, not even close. He should be very good for the Xhaka role.

Xhaka/Tielemans-Ødegaard/Vieira
Partey/Danilo

I think this is very very realistic, also in the sense that Danilo is happy to come to Arsenal, even if he doesn't play so much. I don't assume that we can get City-like depth at this point.

The question is that do you rather choose a 100 million midfielder instead of free Tielemans, or choose Tielemans + 90 million winger.

For me the choise is pretty obvious, because no matter what people say here, Tielemans is similar level to Xhaka in my opinion. And before this & last season, very few would have said that Xhaka is better in his current more attacking role than Tielemans.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The question is that do you rather choose a 100 million midfielder instead of free Tielemans, or choose Tielemans + 100 million winger.
Issue is I know which midfielders I'd spend 100M on but I don't know which winger I'd comfortably spend that on.

People are saying Leao is the guy but idk, his numbers are good but they don't scream 100M to me.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
@OnlyOne is right though for a club that’s actually in a position to finish in CL and kick on targeting players like Danilo and Mudryk is suspect cos of their age and inexperience.

They may both be good players but the chances of taking two young players from Brazilian league and Ukrainian league and them having an immediate impact is pretty low. We’re already the youngest team in the league btw!

Take your point but they're currently top of the league by 5 points so I'm not sure kicking on is the objective. Bringing in good options who have the potential to be very good is probably what they're going for, especially considering the starting lineup is pretty much set in stone for the next couple of years.

drippin

While Tielemans on a free seems compelling. He's not fired on all cylinders for awhile now, and he looked woeful for Belgium against the Canadians.

I'm not convinced he's Arteta's man.
Well it's good that at this point Arsenal doesn't have many needs. So they can opt for another player if they think he fits the team better, even if it costs a lot.

It just takes money away from the winger if they do that. But maybe they have some winger who is cheaper and their top target.

Pretty sure Arteta & Arsenal will motivate Tielemans. I think the Xhaka position fits him perfectly.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Well it's good that at this point Arsenal doesn't have many needs. So they can opt for another player if they think he fits the team better, even if it costs a lot.

It just takes money away from the winger if they do that. But maybe they have some winger who is cheaper and their top target.

Pretty sure Arteta & Arsenal will motivate Tielemans. I think the Xhaka position fits him perfectly.
We'll see. I'm not sure we'll wait till the summer, so he's not really on a free in January either. My biggest worry is that we do not strengthen at all. I think that is more likely than people like to think.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Take your point but they're currently top of the league by 5 points so I'm not sure kicking on is the objective. Bringing in good options who have the potential to be very good is probably what they're going for, especially considering the starting lineup is pretty much set in stone for the next couple of years.

Disagree really. Next season if we're in the CL we NEED rotation options that can stand up for themselves, and we need that in CM and on the wing/striker. Can't be playing group stages with Elneny/Sambi/Danilo. I also don't think Xhaka needs to be a starter next season.

I trust Muddy more than Danilo.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I think it’s important to get some players to phase out Elneny and Sambi. Danilo is a bit of an unknown but he could prove much more useful than those two.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Disagree really. Next season if we're in the CL we NEED rotation options that can stand up for themselves, and we need that in CM and on the wing/striker. Can't be playing group stages with Elneny/Sambi/Danilo. I also don't think Xhaka needs to be a starter next season.

I trust Muddy more than Danilo.

How are you going to drop Xhaka when has has been one of the best midfielders in the league? It's just not going to happen. Danilo is a risk I'll grant you that but they obviously see something in him. Also I don't see why we can't have someone like Danilo as a backup option when Real did it with Vinicius and Rodrygo and have been winning the CL regularly.

drippin

We'll see. I'm not sure we'll wait till the summer, so he's not really on a free in January either. My biggest worry is that we do not strengthen at all. I think that is more likely than people like to think.
Well they won't buy two midfielders in January. Danilo looks like the option to reinforce, and he will adjust to the team, England and EPL for next season. I assume Leicester still demands too much for Tielemans.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

How are you going to drop Xhaka when has has been one of the best midfielders in the league? It's just not going to happen. Danilo is a risk I'll grant you that but they obviously see something in him. Also I don't see why we can't have someone like Danilo as a backup option when Real did it with Vinicius and Rodrygo and have been winning the CL regularly.

Personally, I still see Xhaka as a placeholder albeit he's doing great this season. I think he will be the one rotated next season provided we bring in a top midfielder.

I don't see what Danilo adds, if he's another Sambi we're asking questions what happens if Xhaka or Partey get injured?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Issue is I know which midfielders I'd spend 100M on but I don't know which winger I'd comfortably spend that on.

People are saying Leao is the guy but idk, his numbers are good but they don't scream 100M to me.

I agree, there aren’t any standout wingers for those sort of sums being quoted. Always said I’d take Kvaratskhelia over Mudryk and even Leao, Kvara seems more my type of player than the other two tbf. He’s got that fast dribbling style in the mould of Hleb whereby it’s hard to stop them without committing a foul:

100m is wild though since all three are unproven.

drippin

I don't see what Danilo adds, if he's another Sambi we're asking questions what happens if Xhaka or Partey get injured?
Danilo is a DMF, Sambi was planned as a CMF. He has won two Copa Libertadores already as 21,5 years old DMF.

Elneny is okay, but Danilo could be better. It's more depth in case Partey gets injured, while Elneny just had a long injury.

I assume the point is also to let him adjust to everything for next season and be ready. There's not many better midfielders you can get for this sum this January. Getting one from Brazil you won't have to overpay as their season is over.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Danilo is a DMF, Sambi was planned as a CMF. He has won two Copa Libertadores already as 21,5 years old DMF.

Elneny is okay, but Danilo could be better. It's more depth in case Partey gets injured, while Elneny just had a long injury.

I assume the point is also to let him adjust to everything for next season and be ready. There's not many better midfielders you can get for this sum this January. Getting one from Brazil you won't have to overpay as their season is over.

The position in midfield they play is irrelevant. They are both very young and inexperienced players who are coming into the toughest league in the world and a team gunning for the title.

This statement in your last post is rubbish, you have no idea about the player.

I am cool with Danilo provided we get rid of Elneny, loan Sambi and bring in a top CM in the summer. But I think we'll have the same problem if he's our only midfield signing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom