• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
On the one hand I wanna see a Saliba-Gabriel pairing, and we've spent enough on CBs recently, we should just stick with what we have. One the other when I think about it Per-Kos is still the last actually good CB pairing we had, and part of me wonders whether Arteta has us playing so defensively cos he doesn't trust the quality of our defenders.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
On the one hand I wanna see a Saliba-Gabriel pairing, and we've spent enough on CBs recently, we should just stick with what we have. One the other when I think about it Per-Kos is still the last actually good CB pairing we had, and part of me wonders whether Arteta has us playing so defensively cos he doesn't trust the quality of our defenders.

Just from the little bits I've seen of him I'm fairly certain Saliba and Gabriel are quite similar no?

I think the actual partnership is more important than what they're like individually, Gabriel for example worked much better next to Luiz. Holding next to Mari.

I cant help but feel that Saliba's best partner here would be Mari.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Just from the little bits I've seen of him I'm fairly certain Saliba and Gabriel are quite similar no?

I think the actual partnership is more important than what they're like individually, Gabriel for example worked much better next to Luiz. Holding next to Mari.

Well from the bits I’ve seen Saliba seems much more capable and confident on the ball than Gabriel. In any case its just a shame we haven’t been able to try it. Especially if Saliba has no intention of staying with us after all the crap Arteta pulled.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

I don't think they're that similar. I'd describe Gabriel as an aggressive front-foot defender, who's ok on the ball but it's not his biggest strength. Saliba is very much a ball-playing defender, who plays a bit less aggressive than Gabriel. I think they have pretty compatible styles.

The issue is whether between them they have enough experience and communication skills to play together at such a young age. Gabriel for example has generally played best with an experienced partner in either Jose Font or David Luiz.

I'd like to see it, but from everything we've learnt about Arteta I'd say he's not gonna go into a PL season with such a young CB pairing.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don't think they're that similar. I'd describe Gabriel as an aggressive front-foot defender, who's ok on the ball but it's not his biggest strength. Saliba is very much a ball-playing defender, who plays a bit less aggressive than Gabriel. I think they have pretty compatible styles.

The issue is whether between them they have enough experience and communication skills to play together at such a young age. Gabriel for example has generally played best with an experienced partner in either Jose Font or David Luiz.

I'd like to see it, but from everything we've learnt about Arteta I'd say he's not gonna go into a PL season with such a young CB pairing.

And in that essence I'd actually stand by Arteta. All the data we have tells us that having an experienced CB in there helps 10 fold. Even if they aren't starting every game for example I believe T Silva has 21 PL appearances this season.

I would be fairly happy seeing Mari and Saliba but I also like Gabriel. Maybe if they have a quality CDM in front of them I'd feel more comfortable with Gabs and Saliba.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I predict we'll spend approx 20m on a RB, 30m on a CM, 40-50m on a AM, and 5-10m combined on a back-up GK and LB. So total around 100m, which is suitable for Arsenal, 200m summers will never happen here. Then I predict we'll hope to raise 50-70m in sales, so net spend around 30-50m.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

With Luiz and Ceballos off, I guess next up are Ryan and Ødegaard - the other two who are out of contract this year. Think we’ll make the Ryan move permanent while I think Madrid will keep Ødegaard - especially if Zidane leaves.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
With Luiz and Ceballos off, I guess next up are Ryan and Ødegaard - the other two who are out of contract this year. Think we’ll make the Ryan move permanent while I think Madrid will keep Ødegaard - especially if Zidane leaves.

Ryan is non-homegrown though, isn't he? He's been adequate, and he's a gooner, but I wonder if they'll go for a HG option. Maybe a cash plus Freddie Woodman in exchange for Willock deal.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I predict we'll spend approx 20m on a RB, 30m on a CM, 40-50m on a AM, and 5-10m combined on a back-up GK and LB. So total around 100m, which is suitable for Arsenal, 200m summers will never happen here. Then I predict we'll hope to raise 50-70m in sales, so net spend around 30-50m.

I think its fairly obvious how our window will go. We'll look to make 5 signings off the bat.

RB
CM
Backup left back
Ryan permanently
Attacking playmaker whether that's a CAM or LW/CAM

Then after that it's down to outgoings. If Xhaka goes another CM will be signed. If Leno goes a GK will be signed. If Holding or another CB leave then a RCB will be signed. If Laca or Auba go the a striker will be signed.

But for now, whilst everyone's here it's just the 5 players. Which like you say @dashsnow17 will probably be around 100-130M spent alone. For me the £200M+ figure comes with sales of those key figures I mentioned.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Ryan is non-homegrown though, isn't he? He's been adequate, and he's a gooner, but I wonder if they'll go for a HG option. Maybe a cash plus Freddie Woodman in exchange for Willock deal.

If Ryan is non-HG I see very little point in signing him permanently.

He's an adequate keeper but we could find a HG one at a similar level for a fairly low price.

Having Ryan and to a larger extent Runarsson taking up two valuable HG spots next season would be awful. I can't see us being able to shift Runarsson on permanently given his relatively high wages either.

If I were Arteta I'd be telling him now he'll not be being registered in the PL or EL squad. Find yourself a loan for next season ( and probably the next 3 seasons 🙄 )

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Interesting.

The Cedric thing is really weird. He performed to a decent level earlier in the season but it seems he's been completely frozen out.

He probably made the mistake of asking Arteta what time of the day it was.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's worth noting

Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, Cedric, Mari, Xhaka, Elneny, Partey, Pepe, Auba, Laca, Willian, Torreira, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Runarsson = 16 non homegrown players.

I think you can say with certainty that Torreira, Mavro and Douzi will not be here next season. Bringing us down to 13. Id even say Runarrson would probs go out on loan. So a foreign right back, Ryan and Bissouma for example wouldn't be a problem.

Bertrand is homegrown, so that one makes sense. And if need be we can sign one more non HG either at AM or CB. So wouldn't worry about Ryan taking a spot at all.

We've been linked with Camavinga who would also not count towards the quota due to age.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I would love to know which genius at the club takes decisions on goalkeepers. Selling Martinez to keep Leno, then buying Runnarson. Now we have two more headaches to solve this window.

Martinez wanted the number one spot, Leno was our number one. Martinez wasn't willing to fight for his place... its not difficult to figure out why we sold Emi.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Wonder if this place will be fooled for the 4th straight summer window like they were for the previous 3.

2018 I was ridiculed because I wasn't salivating over Lichsteiner and Sokratis. While we neglected signing a wide player we were in desperate need of post Alexis with our only wide players being Iwobi and Mkhitaryan both who'd be deemed surplus to requirements not long after. The aforementioned defenders were meant to bring a winning mentality and make us tougher to beat, while Torreira was the DM we'd been crying out for since 2008 or however long its been. While we also were meant to be getting an Aldi Neuer who could play out from the back and was commanding. This transfer window was celebrated as addressing our issues which Wenger neglected for years and anyone who was critical was ridiculed and demoted from their trusted status.

2019, the window which ended with fans on their knees praising Don Raul for his work. Getting in Sporting Gijon level midfielder to replace Ramsey and offer what Özil was apparently no longer offering in the shape of Dani Francoist Ceballos. Luiz was our latest attempt at bringing both defensive solidity and a winning mentality. Spunked 72 million on Pepe who didn't do much to improve our attack in the immediate sense. Tierney came in injured and although has turned out to be a top signing still has injury issues to this day. Decided that having a LW was two mainstream so entered the season without any. Also entered the season with Sokratis still as a starter, no real improvement in terms of midfield for creativity or goals, AMN as our only RB and he was a midfielder and our best striker was our only LW option until the emergence of Saka. But it was apparently a brilliant window which again addressed all our issues. I'm seeing a theme here.

2020. Another supposedly brilliant window which was meant to turn us back into a top 4 side, some even got giddy after our first two wins and talked about title challenging. Oh dear. Willian, once again another signing that was meant to help bring in a winning mentality and was on a free so it was a massive coup. Mari and Cedric both brought in, average players but you know they're decent backups so we shouldn't complain. Gabriel an absolute beast of a defender who Lille have been unable to live without and have fallen down the Ligue 1 table since his departure. While Partey was the game changer, A-M loved the idea of a Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey midfield. Who needs creativity, A-M assured us that Partey offered basically the same as what a 10 could offer so signing a 10 or an attacking midfielder simply wasn't essential at all and we'd fly up the table even without one. Oh and have I mentioned how well we did selling Martinez? Absolutely brilliant business, not as if he went on to be one of the signings of the summer and arguably keeper of the year or anything like that. Another brilliant window which..... addressed all our issues.

Funny how 3 successive windows A-M celebrated, all which addressed our issues, yet here we are after all these windows arguably with more issues than ever.

I'm sure this window will be no different, sure people are all doom and gloom now, but once we get a couple in and someone like Xhaka out the door people will be getting giddy again.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Wonder if this place will be fooled for the 4th straight summer window like they were for the previous 3.

2018 I was ridiculed because I wasn't salivating over Lichsteiner and Sokratis. While we neglected signing a wide player we were in desperate need of post Alexis with our only wide players being Iwobi and Mkhitaryan both who'd be deemed surplus to requirements not long after. The aforementioned defenders were meant to bring a winning mentality and make us tougher to beat, while Torreira was the DM we'd been crying out for since 2008 or however long its been. While we also were meant to be getting an Aldi Neuer who could play out from the back and was commanding. This transfer window was celebrated as addressing our issues which Wenger neglected for years and anyone who was critical was ridiculed and demoted from their trusted status.

2019, the window which ended with fans on their knees praising Don Raul for his work. Getting in Sporting Gijon level midfielder to replace Ramsey and offer what Özil was apparently no longer offering in the shape of Dani Francoist Ceballos. Luiz was our latest attempt at bringing both defensive solidity and a winning mentality. Spunked 72 million on Pepe who didn't do much to improve our attack in the immediate sense. Tierney came in injured and although has turned out to be a top signing still has injury issues to this day. Decided that having a LW was two mainstream so entered the season without any. Also entered the season with Sokratis still as a starter, no real improvement in terms of midfield for creativity or goals, AMN as our only RB and he was a midfielder and our best striker was our only LW option until the emergence of Saka. But it was apparently a brilliant window which again addressed all our issues. I'm seeing a theme here.

2020. Another supposedly brilliant window which was meant to turn us back into a top 4 side, some even got giddy after our first two wins and talked about title challenging. Oh dear. Willian, once again another signing that was meant to help bring in a winning mentality and was on a free so it was a massive coup. Mari and Cedric both brought in, average players but you know they're decent backups so we shouldn't complain. Gabriel an absolute beast of a defender who Lille have been unable to live without and have fallen down the Ligue 1 table since his departure. While Partey was the game changer, A-M loved the idea of a Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey midfield. Who needs creativity, A-M assured us that Partey offered basically the same as what a 10 could offer so signing a 10 or an attacking midfielder simply wasn't essential at all and we'd fly up the table even without one. Oh and have I mentioned how well we did selling Martinez? Absolutely brilliant business, not as if he went on to be one of the signings of the summer and arguably keeper of the year or anything like that. Another brilliant window which..... addressed all our issues.

Funny how 3 successive windows A-M celebrated, all which addressed our issues, yet here we are after all these windows arguably with more issues than ever.

I'm sure this window will be no different, sure people are all doom and gloom now, but once we get a couple in and someone like Xhaka out the door people will be getting giddy again.

This is how it works. Everything you're saying is in hindsight. I am quite sure if we could all go back and change those windows we would. However at the time, most of the windows were seen as successful. It also doesn't help that each window was done under different regimes. With different ideas. This window is the first time that we are going on from a previous window with the same regime which is a good thing.

The funny thing is in every single one of those windows we never signed proven PL footballers. And no matter how much money a player from abroad costs you never know what you'll get when they join the PL. Aside from the supremely talented players who are usually £70M+ or Mbappe/Neymar/Haaland level players.

If anyone thought Partey offered what a 10 could offer then they haven't got a clue about football. In fact I'm quite certain you're talking out your butt on that one mate.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Martinez wanted the number one spot, Leno was our number one. Martinez wasn't willing to fight for his place... its not difficult to figure out why we sold Emi.
He played well enough to prove that he should have been number one. It was clear that he was the better keeper. Yes it's not difficult to figure out why we sold Emi. It's because we have a management that's too stupid to make these decisions. The decision to buy Runnarson just validates my hypothesis.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

:shivering:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He played well enough to prove that he should have been number one. It was clear that he was the better keeper. Yes it's not difficult to figure out why we sold Emi. It's because we have a management that's too stupid to make these decisions. The decision to buy Runnarson just validates my hypothesis.

You dont give someone the number one shirt after 15 games because your number 1 got injured. That is absolutely ridiculous. You continue to fight for the number one shirt until its deemed you're worthy of taking it on. Especially when Leno had the season he had, he was one of our players of the season.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

:shivering:

I was supportive of the signing of Partey. Torreira I did fall for the initial hype tho I admit. Heck I think I even was a fan before he was linked with us. He ended up not suiting the PL at all.

Some things are with the benefit of hindsight like HSG is saying but a lot I wasn't a fan of at the time either, certainly never to an extent that I thought we ever addressed our issues properly. Also what I'm saying is I wonder if we'll all be fooled again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom