• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
These save percentage stats are absolutely meaningless unless every shot faced by every goalkeeper is identical.
Goalkeepers from sides which defend deep in numbers, forcing teams to try from distance are going to have higher percentage than ones playing for teams which commit lots of players forwards and concede clear chances from counter attacks.
They don’t really prove anything.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
These save percentage stats are absolutely meaningless unless every shot faced by every goalkeeper is identical.
Goalkeepers from sides which defend deep in numbers, forcing teams to try from distance are going to have higher percentage than ones playing for teams which commit lots of players forwards and concede clear chances from counter attacks.
If we think like that every stat in the world is meaningless because nothing in the world is ever identical. One can have similar arguments for count of goals scored too. That's why we compare it with what we see with our own eyes.

Let's play Aubamawang

Martinez was literally just better at claiming high balls than Leno that is it. Leno is an elite shot stopper.

And let's face it, there's been a fair few more examples of Leno ****ing up. He's got at least one screw up in him every game. While we still play him, our defenders will always be on edge.

I have to wonder how we never went after Tielemens before he joined Leicester. He was already a classy player, two-footed, and judging by 2 years of Ceballos loans, a CM has been a need for some time.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
And to answer your question on quality of shots faced, the same link also has PsXg+/-.
This takes into account the difficulty of shots faced. It is (Post shot expected goals - goals allowed):
Martinez at 7.5 and Leno at 3.7

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Anyway, the thread has been derailed into Leno vs Martinez thread. The original point I was trying to make is that we have been making some terrible decisions when it comes to GKs for quite sometime.
* Cech
* Keeping Emi out of the team for so long
* Selling him away and preferring Leno
* And to cap it all, buying Runnarson

My question is who makes these decisions? Is it the manager? Have all our managers throughout this time been so bad in judging GKs? Or do we have a goalkeeping coach who is being consulted on these decisions? How can a club be so consistently wrong in this matter?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Anyway, the thread has been derailed into Leno vs Martinez thread. The original point I was trying to make is that we have been making some terrible decisions when it comes to GKs for quite sometime.
* Cech
* Keeping Emi out of the team for so long
* Selling him away and preferring Leno
* And to cap it all, buying Runnarson

My question is who makes these decisions? Is it the manager? Have all our managers throughout this time been so bad in judging GKs? Or do we have a goalkeeping coach who is being consulted on these decisions? How can a club be so consistently wrong in this matter?

I think its easy to focus on the mistakes. But signing Leno was brilliant and also Ryan is a fantastic backup signing. We need to remember that Leno is an excellent goalkeeper.

We are linked with Onana who is also an excellent goalkeeper.

Of course the stat is useless if it shows some player is better than an Arsenal player!

Luiz and Xhaka are the two players who often cost us games on their own. Getting them two out probably saves us 5-10pts a season alone.

I rate neither of them but its actually crazy how defender with most errors leading to goals and most red cards last season is our best defender and absolutely loser of captain being Xhaka is our best midfielder.

Cant wait to see back od them but also hopefully we replace them well!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I rate neither of them but its actually crazy how defender with most errors leading to goals and most red cards last season is our best defender and absolutely loser of captain being Xhaka is our best midfielder.

Cant wait to see back od them but also hopefully we replace them well!
I’m gonna miss your superb posting mate, hope to see you in Iceland some day. My hero.

balthazar

And let's face it, there's been a fair few more examples of Leno ****ing up. He's got at least one screw up in him every game. While we still play him, our defenders will always be on edge.

I have to wonder how we never went after Tielemens before he joined Leicester. He was already a classy player, two-footed, and judging by 2 years of Ceballos loans, a CM has been a need for some time.
come on! less than a minute of failure for over 4242 minutes played this season. Good percentage it seems. :fibs:

Farrell_afc

My take on what we need done. Will be long I think.
- Restructure the dressing room mentality
- Remove error prone from the roster
- Add experience to the side
- Sign young players to build our squad around

The Invincibles were fearless, Messi even said he wouldn’t look at Henry because of how scary he was. Now we have our impressionable young players looking up to the likes of Aubameyang who runs around the dressing room in his boxers screaming “Sweg sweg”. We need winners in this team, not players like Auba.

David Luiz, Granit Xhaka, Bernd Leno, Rob Holding and Hector Bellerin have to be let go this summer. That group by themselves have cost us 10+ points this season and moving them on is a priority.

Experienced players like Chiellini could be good options for us on short term deals just to help mentor our younger players.

Michael Olise, Sander Berge, Matheus Pereira and Noussair Mazraoui are no brainers for us. Young players with buckets of quality and potential to improve every aspect of their game. Mazraoui especially is one guy that I think could transform our team. Some players like Robert Sanchez of Brighton and Breel Embolo of Gladbach could be alternate options for us too as replacements for Leno and Lacazette should they leave.

I don’t believe we are in a position to make signings at the calibre of Grealish. While he is a terrific player, signing him could affect the greater overhaul of the squad and leave us lacking in several positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury
Top Bottom