• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Better think of other RB. Hakimi's on everyone's lips, yet the guy just won Scudetto in his first season in Italy and is one of 5 cornerstone players they build the team around. Why torture yourself.

The rest I agree. Arteta was always clear about the way he wants to build his team

Mmm that's where I'm stumped. There's 2 or 3 in Ligue 1 I think but not 100%.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Loool Arsenal in may is the funniest thing in football. The month of pr trying to get fans excited. 200 million kronors more likely lool

ChefMan21

I think the £200m ballpark figure is perhaps real, but I think we need to be careful with what that means. Firstly, I think part of that is potentially from our previous sales/wage savings - players like Özil. Secondly, some of it might come from additional sales like Bellerin. Thirdly, since we're out of Europe, we may occasionally have to pay overs in terms of wages, so while £200m is the figure, it might come down to £170m in actual fees (or something like that). I think Kroenke will perhaps tick off on that quantum of spending by the club (£200m), but I don't necessarily think it's £200m in additional investment - maybe close to £120m by the time we account for everything.

Just guessing on all this mind you - I hope it's actually the complete opposite.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think the £200m ballpark figure is perhaps real, but I think we need to be careful with what that means. Firstly, I think part of that is potentially from our previous sales/wage savings - players like Özil. Secondly, some of it might come from additional sales like Bellerin. Thirdly, since we're out of Europe, we may occasionally have to pay overs in terms of wages, so while £200m is the figure, it might come down to £170m in actual fees (or something like that). I think Kroenke will perhaps tick off on that quantum of spending by the club (£200m), but I don't necessarily think it's £200m in additional investment - maybe close to £120m by the time we account for everything.

Just guessing on all this mind you - I hope it's actually the complete opposite.
I'm thinking something similar. They will upfront money knowing a ballpark on how much can be recouped on sales, even including getting in a Mavro fee next summer. It will therefore be good, but they will know they will be getting the money back., a bit like helping pay for Partey, but in the long run not really from their pockets. In the end they could put a bit in like 50m on top of incomings expected, which would look good as top line advertised number of 150-160m. We just don't know, but it would be right to be sceptical and have a posture where they have to go out of their comfort zone to impress us. There were club loyalist journos spinning the facilitation of the Partey transfer as more than what it was, so we will have to be beady eyed, not gullible fools who never learn our lesson.

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
We haven't been here where the manager has openly backed it as well though. Huge difference.

"We have funds and are looking for top, top qualitee players who can improve us" was heard a couple of times. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong on this, but I am not holding my breath.

Have your fun with the transfer window, but actually buying into this like it's a fact is setting yourself up for dispointment.

It not like we've heard this for the past 5 summers in a row and after some juicy rumours, it all died down.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
"We have funds and are looking for top, top qualitee players who can improve us" was heard a couple of times. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong on this, but I am not holding my breath.

Have your fun with the transfer window, but actually buying into this like it's a fact is setting yourself up for dispointment.

It not like we've heard this for the past 5 summers in a row and after some juicy rumours, it all died down.

Yes but at the time we did have funds. They were funds that had been accumulated over time. This is a little different, we actually don't have any funds due to the pandemic. So any signings we make before sales will be down to KSE.

Arteta's words are far more exciting than "we have funds". He said hes excited about the resources that are being made available by KSE. For him to say that it has to be north of £150M.

As for linked players I think we should all know by now it doesn't mean too much. Agents talk a lot.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Yes but at the time we did have funds. They were funds that had been accumulated over time. This is a little different, we actually don't have any funds due to the pandemic. So any signings we make before sales will be down to KSE.

Arteta's words are far more exciting than "we have funds". He said hes excited about the resources that are being made available by KSE. For him to say that it has to be north of £150M.

As for linked players I think we should all know by now it doesn't mean too much. Agents talk a lot.

There's a lot of optimism there, as well as conjecture. The context of the Super league and how fans are on the brink when it comes to Kroenke and the team, doesn't really fill me with confidence this is anything but PT. Guess we'll see it soon.

History has not been kind like that.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
There's a lot of optimism there, as well as conjecture. The context of the Super league and how fans are on the brink when it comes to Kroenke and the team, doesn't really fill me with confidence this is anything but PT. Guess we'll see it soon.

History has not been kind like that.

We'll know very soon. If KSE are true to their word and they are making a lot of funds available then we should expect our main business to be done before the Euros. (RB, CM, Creative attacker)

We would've studied our main targets for months now. We know if we can get them, if the moneys available then there's no excuses to wait. The likes of Bissouma and Grealish are quite simply put the money in front of their clubs and sign them players.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'll be honest if we don't sign Grealish this summer I'll be stupidly disappointed. There's nobody else in world football right now who brings what he does from the left. He is exactly what we need.

There's actually no excuses not to do it. If he's top of the managers list then you go and get him.

The rest of the positions you have a lot of options out there. But for this role there isn't many at the moment. Also get him before the Euros because you can slap a good 20M on the fee after the euros as he will be a key figure for England.

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006

We will get money via sales. Why do you think the club has leaked a list of players that are for sale? Why do you think we are trying to sign a soon to be 32 year old free agent rather than a player that isnt coming here to get some more cash before he retire? If you have a brain i think you should use it. Arteta is a Kroenke propagandist and for most of us that is obvious by now.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Bentancur is in the market and he fits well to replace Xhaka and it is a good player too.

Buendia is a bit obvious too and he is a AM/RW (yes Arsenal should sell Pepe)

Arsenal can get both if they want.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Bentancur is in the market and he fits well to replace Xhaka and it is a good player too.

Buendia is a bit obvious too and he is a AM/RW (yes Arsenal should sell Pepe)

Arsenal can get both if they want.
If Bentancur really is in the market (source?) then that's who we should try to get imo. Would be a perfect upgrade on Xhaka and while he isn't quite as powerful as Bissouma he's a much better passer. Complements Partey better than Bissouma as well. Would work very well in both a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Did a search for statistically similar players to Toni Kroos and Bentancur was one of the few that showed up. Say what you want about stats but if we could get someone close to Kroos mk 2 it could be a game changer.

Doubt he'd come here though, but you never know. He's reportedly on £79k per week so could give a decent bump, especially if Xhaka and Willian leaves. Worth a shot

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

Bentancur actually on the market? Would be a really good signing at number 6 for us. Could be our Rodri.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We will get money via sales. Why do you think the club has leaked a list of players that are for sale? Why do you think we are trying to sign a soon to be 32 year old free agent rather than a player that isnt coming here to get some more cash before he retire? If you have a brain i think you should use it. Arteta is a Kroenke propagandist and for most of us that is obvious by now.

Those sales are likely to take the entire window to make. You're gonna look like a right pillock when we are given money. We are signing Bertrand AS A BACKUP. He played 3000 minutes in the league in the past two seasons ffs. Its an astute signing.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If Bentancur really is in the market (source?) then that's who we should try to get imo. Would be a perfect upgrade on Xhaka and while he isn't quite as powerful as Bissouma he's a much better passer. Complements Partey better than Bissouma as well. Would work very well in both a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Did a search for statistically similar players to Toni Kroos and Bentancur was one of the few that showed up. Say what you want about stats but if we could get someone close to Kroos mk 2 it could be a game changer.

Doubt he'd come here though, but you never know. He's reportedly on £79k per week so could give a decent bump, especially if Xhaka and Willian leaves. Worth a shot

There are a few tall, elegant deep-lying CMs who'd be good options to replace Xhaka: Bentancur, Locatelli, Joan Jordan and Fabian Ruiz all come to mind.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

There are a few tall, elegant deep-lying CMs who'd be good options to replace Xhaka: Bentancur, Locatelli, Joan Jordan and Fabian Ruiz all come to mind.
Yeah, but I have some reservations to all of the others, mainly around pace.

Locatelli is the best of the lot when it comes to vision and passing from what I've seen , but he lacks both pace and physicality and I think he'd struggle a lot with PL intensity.

Fabian Ruiz is very similar to Locatelli in what he offers, but also in what he lacks. For these two the story and shortcomings of Xhaka and Ceballos is just to present/recent and I definitely don't want to go down that route again.

Bentancur and Jordan are also quite similar in their profile, but I just feel that Bentancur is the better player today, has better potential and is younger. Don't know if Joan Jordan has enough pace and power to thrive in the PL - could well be so though and wouldn't be against him.

Bentancur > Bissouma > Jordan imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom