• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Part 3 said:

Gabriel Menino​

Club: Palmeiras

One of the regions in which Arsenal may have a competitive advantage over some of their rivals is South America. Technical director Edu knows the market well, and since 2019, Arsenal have moved to sign Gabriel Martinelli and Pablo Mari from Brazilian clubs.

Gabriel Menino has enjoyed a rapid rise to the top. He made his professional debut in a 4-0 win over Martinelli’s former team, Ituano, in January 2020. Since then he has triumphed in a Copa Libertadores final and received his first call-up to the Brazilian national squad. He doesn’t even turn 21 until September.

positions_gabriel_menino_2020-1.png

Much of Menino’s football has been played in holding midfield, but he is equally adept at full-back. He is an extremely versatile player, and profiles more like a winger when operating at full-back. A lack of defensive intensity suggests he’s not especially quick to work back when he is caught upfield.

pizza_gabriel_menino_RB_2020-1.png

He retains possession moderately well and his intelligent movement enables him to receive the ball in threatening areas. A rating of 94/99 for xG from shot creation is the pick of the bunch.
He is a decent tackler (66/99), and the strongest dribbler among this selection (83/99). At 20, he is certainly an attractive prospect — but it remains to be seen how he might adapt to the demands of European football.

Max Aarons​

Club: Norwich

Norwich full-back Max Aarons jumps out of the data set as a good match for Bellerin’s profile.

pizza_max_aarons_RB_2020-21-1.png

Playing in the Championship, he has been liberated from a lot of defensive responsibility. He is comfortable dribbling with the ball and linking play on the right-hand side with Emi Buendia ahead of him. Given Arsenal’s long-standing interest in the Argentinian, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that they could seek to reunite Norwich’s right side in north London.

Aarons has just one goal and no assists this season — a slight surprise given his solid ball progression and shot creation figures. He’s a decent tackler (58/99) but struggles in the air (3/99). This was one of the reasons Arsenal previously chose not to target Aarons — they feel he lacks height and an ability to play long crossfield passes./quote]

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@say yes

Backs up a lot of the eye test with Aarons. Looks great flying forwards with the ball but there’s little end product over his career apart from one season.

He gets bullied in the air a lot if the opposing teams hit long balls to the right flank. Also compared to Bogle and Roberts he’s a really poor tackler.

Gets shrugged off way too easily.

say yes

forum master baiter
@say yes

Backs up a lot of the eye test with Aarons. Looks great flying forwards with the ball but there’s little end product over his career apart from one season.

He gets bullied in the air a lot if the opposing teams hit long balls to the right flank. Also compared to Bogle and Roberts he’s a really poor tackler.

Gets shrugged off way too easily.
Yeah, his profile doesn't jump out.

To be honest, I'm really not sure Bellerin is as much of a problem as is often made out. He's not spectacular, but is a solid, well-rounded player at this level. I can understand us selling him if he wants a new opportunity given the contract situation, but tbh I'm hardly enthused by many of the names mentioned as his replacement.

The only guy in that article who looks like they'd be a clear upgrade on Hector is Mukiele, who is presumably unobtainable. Dumfries looks good too, but you never know with players from the Eredivisie. Lamptey, Merino and Aarons all look like intriguing talents, but none is a sure-fire success.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

To be honest, I'm really not sure Bellerin is as much of a problem as is often made out. He's not spectacular, but is a solid, well-rounded player at this level. I can understand us selling him if he wants a new opportunity given the contract situation, but tbh I'm hardly enthused by many of the names mentioned as his replacement.

The only guy in that article who looks like they'd be a clear upgrade on Hector is Mukiele, who is presumably unobtainable. Dumfries looks good too, but you never know with players from the Eredivisie. Lamptey, Merino and Aarons all look like intriguing talents, but none is a sure-fire success.

Yeah unless we end up going big for Hakimi or something these names aren’t moving the needle I reckon.

I’d take Bogle or Roberts because they’re going to be cheap and even if they’re not first choice there’ll be plenty of games for them.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Nope. Poor on the ball and a little braindead. Very good physical qualities, though, so defensively quite good. Not at all who we should be looking for. I'd much rather Mazraoui, who can hold his own defensively and is very good on the ball (used to be a C(A)M in the Ajax youth ranks, so he can dribble, pass and shoot).

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Yh Mukiele looks a definite upgrade, mainly cos of the defensive stuff and his better athleticism. I was kinda surprised by how good Bellerin's radar was though. If you saw those stats for a 25 year old fullback at another club you'd be looking at them as a target. Maybe Bellerin's just one of those players that often fails the eye test but isn't as bad as he looks.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That Gabriel Menino guy looks pretty interesting though, could maybe do the Cancelo inverted fullback/playmaker thing, or the Kimmich RB/DM thing. Looks very skilful on the ball and he seems to be a possible Dani Alves successor in Tite's team. He might have to improve his defensive intensity though, 0 is taking the p*ss a bit.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I think the carry & dribble volume & progressive passing stats reflect what we see in the eyetest. He gets in dangerous positions and contributes to our attack, but he doesn't contribute to the build-up because he needs too much time and too many touches to control the ball, which results in lost time/space to get the ball forward. How many times do we see him fumble his first touch only to be forced to pass backwards to Luiz/Holding, instead of having an open posture that allows him to turn forwards and pass in the channel or to a CM.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Think it'll be an interesting summer. Reckon PL clubs will feel emboldened given how well vaccine rollout is going and potentially will have fans for last game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom