• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If what you say is true then it says Man City to me since they want a bit of a rebuild. Silva, Sterling, Cancelo, Foden are the names that pop to mind. Would be happy with any of them.

Not quite sure what they'd all cost. Silva probably £50M. Sterling a similar fee, Cancelo lord knows but they will struggle getting mega fees in this market. Might have to settle with loans.

Over our record is £72M so i was more thinking Maddison or Grealish. Can't think of anyone else who would be worth that kind of fee.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If I had the same trust I had in the recruitment team during prime Wenger days, I couldn't even care less whether the guy's coming from 4th tier in Australia or the PL in England, he was probably a gem and good enough.

The reason I've been so obsessed with Buendia was because I've seen him a perfect fit for many things we lack and you describe.
Similarly to Kounde, to Bissouma, even Saliba if he ever was to be played.

Arteta mentioned a physically montrous side as a key goal for the Premier league, just as well as he recently talked about 443.
I want an all-action 11 with players in a similar manner to Klopp's teams.
Also think it's the most enjoyable football to watch.

Buendia-Bissouma-Partey with a crazy fast and strong RB addition like Tierney on as LB, Gabriel+Saliba.. that's power, power and power everywhere.
We'd be winning most games just like that.
The easiest way to get in the top four is to beat all the teams below 6th. You do not beat all of these teams by having a high ceiling. You beat them by having a high floor.

It is harder to raise your floor by building a team that is focused on technicality. In the league, only City have been able to do this. It requires a lot of investment. Teams lower down the table cannot afford this or attract it, so they build based on physcaility.

So the best way to raise your floor is to make sure your team, on a day where your technical level happens to be lower, when it isn't clicking, you still have the superior physicality to overcome the lower teams. If you have a blend of both, the quality will always overcome the opposition. That's why when you look at United. The common consensus is that they don't usually play well, but they have the physicality to stay in the game and not be overwhelmed and then they may have 3 or 4 moments of quality due to their players. It is enough.

Currently if you look at the favoured line up:

ESR-------Auba/Laca------Saka
----------------Ødegaard
----------Xhaka----Partey
Tierney-Mari-Holding--Chambers

Out of 10 players

4 players have the physicality
4 players have both
3 have technical qualities with no physicality to match.

What happens when you meet a team like Villa who have physicality in all 10 positions? You simply can't live with it. Teams like Leeds, can work us off the pitch if we are not at the technical level.

The pace and power of our line up needs to be increased. People worry too much about having passers and creators.

The team you laid out had 7 players with the physicality needed. Add Saka pepe or ESR to that and you have 9. That team simply does not get run off the pitch.

Replace Xhaka with Neves, bring Ødegaard in and continue to play Holding or Mari, but some right back who can play dm,cm and RB, but is slow and you don't go anywhere. The needle doesn't move.we will struggle in games where we simply aren't at it. We all know those games. I can tell in the first 5 mins of an Arsenal match if they are at it. Based on their pace of pass and if they win their 50 50s. That shouldn't be the case. We should always have the physicality to compete. Ødegaard gets an ankle injury and it's like he can't move for 3 games.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The easiest way to get in the top four is to beat all the teams below 6th. You do not beat all of these teams by having a high ceiling. You beat them by having a high floor.

It is harder to raise your floor by building a team that is focused on technicality. In the league, only City have been able to do this. It requires a lot of investment. Teams lower down the table cannot afford this or attract it, so they build based on physcaility.

So the best way to raise your floor is to make sure your team, on a day where your technical level happens to be lower, when it isn't clicking, you still have the superior physicality to overcome the lower teams. If you have a blend of both, the quality will always overcome the opposition. That's why when you look at United. The common consensus is that they don't usually play well, but they have the physicality to stay in the game and not be overwhelmed and then they may have 3 or 4 moments of quality due to their players. It is enough.

----------------Ødegaard

Out of 10 players

4 players have both

What happens when you meet a team like Villa who have physicality in all 10 positions? You simply can't live with it. Teams like Leeds, can work us off the pitch if we are not at the technical level.

The pace and power of our line up needs to be increased. People worry too much about having passers and creators.

The team you laid out had 7 players with the physicality needed. Add Saka pepe or ESR to that and you have 9. That team simply does not get run off the pitch.

Replace Xhaka with Neves, bring Ødegaard in and continue to play Holding or Mari, but some right back who can play dm,cm and RB, but is slow and you don't go anywhere. The needle doesn't move.we will struggle in games where we simply aren't at it. We all know those games. I can tell in the first 5 mins of an Arsenal match if they are at it. Based on their pace of pass and if they win their 50 50s. That shouldn't be the case. We should always have the physicality to compete. Ødegaard gets an ankle injury and it's like he can't move for 3 games.

The main reason why we wasn't winning certain games was because we didn't put it in the back of the bloody net.

The cycle of last season was - miss key chances/not create chances, be at 0-0 for a while, incident happens like a red card or VAR decision against us, other team scores, back foot.

Happened a stupid amount of times. We didn't move the ball quick enough out from the back, hence why Onana, White and Neves are being looked at.

Biggest problem is still goals from midfield and chances created. Ødegaard and ESR helped, and Ødegaard is a lovely player but I'd prefer someone with a bit more bite. One thing I would agree with is that Ødegaard's lack of overall physicality whilst not scoring like Bruno is detrimental.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

----------------Ødegaard

Out of 10 players

4 players have both

Some of this I do agree with, but think someone can probably argue it better than I could with better knowledge of the game.

I know you'll disagree but I think Neves, White & Onana move the needle in this team. We fininshed 8th and looked utter dogsh*t, our aim isn't top 4 anymore. I want to see us build a good squad and actually make improvements and I believe they help us do exactly that.

Just my opinion though.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The main reason why we wasn't winning certain games was because we didn't put it in the back of the bloody net.

The cycle of last season was - miss key chances/not create chances, be at 0-0 for a while, incident happens like a red card or VAR decision against us, other team scores, back foot.

Happened a stupid amount of times. We didn't move the ball quick enough out from the back, hence why Onana, White and Neves are being looked at.

Biggest problem is still goals from midfield and chances created. Ødegaard and ESR helped, and Ødegaard is a lovely player but I'd prefer someone with a bit more bite. One thing I would agree with is that Ødegaard's lack of overall physicality whilst not scoring like Bruno is detrimental.
It's not solely about last season. It like you forgot how bad our away record was. Fans will come back. Away matches will feel like away matches again. Games will not he coach led, but they will be dependant on problem solving by players and if we do not have the level of physicality needed to compete for 90 mins. We will suffer with small margin football, which is what Arteta creates. Bemoaning losses and draws because we didn't create enough or we didn't take our 2 chances.

In England, unless you are City, you need to have the physicality to create chances. Saka statistically doesn't actually look spectacular. 5 goals, 3 assists, and when you look at fbref, it's not greened off the max like other players. However if you use your eyes you see a player with physical intensity every single game. The willingness to hurt and beat the opposition. Capable of beating a man and also recovering. Not being dribbled past. Strong enough to hold the ball under pressure. We need players with that capability all over the pitch. If they lack a little technicality they still need everything else.

We are not in a position where we can afford a squad full of incredibly technical players. We can however have around 4 in a team and surround them with physicality.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Some of this I do agree with, but think someone can probably argue it better than I could with better knowledge of the game.

I know you'll disagree but I think Neves, White & Onana move the needle in this team. We fininshed 8th and looked utter dogsh*t, our aim isn't top 4 anymore. I want to see us build a good squad and actually make improvements and I believe they help us do exactly that.

Just my opinion though.
I like Neves. Put him with Bissouma and Partey and you have a midfield.

Put him with Ødegaard and Partey and you have 1 player trying to make up for the other 2. White is good, but I don't think he moves the needle more than say a Saliba would in possession.

Onana is good. He wouldn't be available till November though?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

It's pretty similar arguments, really.
Our biggest issue is chance creation, which you get with sheer brilliance from a technically wordclass team or good basic technical ability paired with insane power and speed to break the defensive structures.

Other teams did make the same mistakes as we did for large parts, but they scored many goals to make up for it and created chances in abundance.

We've been rock bottom in chance creation and obviously, in the same breath, goals scored for 2 seasons.

Liverpool got a CL and PL title with not that much better technical ability, but rather similar, maybe slightly better technical ability and twice as good speed, athletism etc.

Power them down to the ground and you'll have half the trouble.

You CAN still do it with a less athletic team, but you'll have it hard in the Premier League with that approach and you gotta pay insane money for top quality.

Actually, not even City does it really, the athletism in his teams, at least fullbacks and some key positions, has been elite level.

Pep got found out initially without that physicality and he adapted shortly afterwards, adding it to his team.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I like Neves. Put him with Bissouma and Partey and you have a midfield.

Put him with Ødegaard and Partey and you have 1 player trying to make up for the other 2. White is good, but I don't think he moves the needle more than say a Saliba would in possession.

Onana is good. He wouldn't be available till November though?

Yeah Neves and Partey midfield is nice and I think you need a bit more than Ødegaard as you say. Issue with Saliba is we just haven't seen him in the PL and as much as I believe he'd slot in fine if he doesn't then White is that guy who's quality on the ball. I think he's a great addition albeit an expensive one.

Those 3 as signings should improve our ability on the ball tenfold.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Just seeing the links to DVB. Not a bad link. I've missed naming players by initials.

There is an abundance of good players we are being linked to. It is comforting after the season we've had.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Please, are we talking about football or the olympics? This physicality meme has gone overboard.
So when we played the highest pressing team at the Emirates who have physicality all over the pitch with them absolutely destroying us. Were you sitting back thinking we didn't create enough chances?

It wasn't the old days where we keep the ball and have chance after chance and then get caught by one counter and lose the game. We got destroyed.

That team have now added Buendia, where we look like losing our starting central midfielder.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Please, are we talking about football or the olympics? This physicality meme has gone overboard.

We ain't talking about immobile trucks here, actually the exact opposite, and paired with great technical ability and vision.

There's not a single team in the Premier league that is successfull without it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So when we played the highest pressing team at the Emirates who have physicality all over the pitch with them absolutely destroying us. Were you sitting back thinking we didn't create enough chances?

It wasn't the old days where we keep the ball and have chance after chance and then get caught by one counter and lose the game. We got destroyed.

That team have now added Buendia, where we look like losing our starting central midfielder.

You're basing this on one or two games.

I'd say Leeds are one of the best pressing sides in the league. Away from home, despite having 10 men we got a draw. At home we absolutely battered them.

The home game against Villa was just a shambles. We played a 343 with Elneny next to Partey and Partey got injured way before half time. I remember the game very well, he ran through on goal and over stretched.

We dominated the possession in that game, but after Partey went off we crumbled with Ceballos and Elneny as the midfield pairing. So you can't really base anything off that game, no ESR, no Ødegaard, injured Partey etc.

Second game against Villa was simply typical Arsenal of last season, dominated possession but could not break them down after they scored a 2nd minute goal. Hence why we need better quality on the ball.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
@The_Playmaker my take on things is we have good shape defensively, other than individual brain farts we look decent despite not having the best of defenders across the board. Tierney is a juggernaut at left back, he also links excellently with Saka. For Pepe to excel we need the same at right back. Chambers has been good but he's not explosive enough, Pepe has already looked better whenever Chambers plays.

We have a lot of the ball but don't move it quick enough, Onana, White and Neves instantly improve that. Are they world class? No, but they fit what we want to do perfectly. I think you need a good spread of physical beasts and technically gifted players.

Onana - Technical and a beast.
Right back signing needs to be physically dominant and similar to Tierney. Vanderson from what I've seen is what I'd like to see in a right back, even if he's a little raw.
Gabirel/Saliba are physical beasts
White isn't as physical, not slow by any means but with a physically good right back and Gabriel/Saliba next to him its a nice balance
Tierney is an animal
Partey is a physical beast
New CM next to him needs to be technically gifted
Pepe has pace, not really strong but he's a winger, he's what I'd like in a winger, same with Saka on the left
Striker must be a physical beast. I'm talking Calvert Lewin/Isak style for our system. Right now we have the inbetween of that with Auba/Laca. But for next season it'll have to do.
The guy in the 10 or the third attacking CM needs to be technically beautiful, don't care if they aren't physical with pace/power as long as they work hard.

The above for me is the most balanced squad we could assemble.
Onana​
Vanderson - White - Gabriel/Saliba - Tierney​
Partey - Neves​
Pepe - Maddison - Saka​
Isak​
Forget about the names and look at the profile of player I've chosen. This is the most balanced side we can build, names wise you can replace them like for like with more realistic players if need be. But for me this is the goal, this is the plan.​

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
@The_Playmaker my take on things is we have good shape defensively, other than individual brain farts we look decent despite not having the best of defenders across the board. Tierney is a juggernaut at left back, he also links excellently with Saka. For Pepe to excel we need the same at right back. Chambers has been good but he's not explosive enough, Pepe has already looked better whenever Chambers plays.

We have a lot of the ball but don't move it quick enough, Onana, White and Neves instantly improve that. Are they world class? No, but they fit what we want to do perfectly. I think you need a good spread of physical beasts and technically gifted players.

Onana - Technical and a beast.
Right back signing needs to be physically dominant and similar to Tierney. Vanderson from what I've seen is what I'd like to see in a right back, even if he's a little raw.
Gabirel/Saliba are physical beasts
White isn't as physical, not slow by any means but with a physically good right back and Gabriel/Saliba next to him its a nice balance
Tierney is an animal
Partey is a physical beast
New CM next to him needs to be technically gifted
Pepe has pace, not really strong but he's a winger, he's what I'd like in a winger, same with Saka on the left
Striker must be a physical beast. I'm talking Calvert Lewin/Isak style for our system. Right now we have the inbetween of that with Auba/Laca. But for next season it'll have to do.
The guy in the 10 or the third attacking CM needs to be technically beautiful, don't care if they aren't physical with pace/power as long as they work hard.

The above for me is the most balanced squad we could assemble.

Onana​
Vanderson - White - Gabriel/Saliba - Tierney​
Partey - Neves​
Pepe - Maddison - Saka​
Isak​

Forget about the names and look at the profile of player I've chosen. This is the most balanced side we can build, names wise you can replace them like for like with more realistic players if need be. But for me this is the goal, this is the plan.​

The word 'Beast' blown out of proportions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom