• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

6666Louis

A quick note on Sterling: he’s a great runner without the ball, extremely dangerous, but he loses the ball too often.

Consequently, he should never play with aubamayang and not even Pepe.

And Pepe and Aubamayang should never play together, obviously.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yes I think we'd need a striker who can properly hold the ball up (DCL/Isak) for Sterling to be really good here and also a player who can pick out his runs. Either from deep (White/Partey/Neves) or further forward (Top AM).

So for now, unless the deal presents itself to us I'd probably say no, atm we don't need players who need others around to be top class.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Arteta was always going to want to build HIS team for the long term. And in the starting 11 he has made two cash signings thus far in Gabriel and Partey. This summer he wants White, a right back, CM next to Partey, AM and potentially even a striker.

So if we get everything done this summer that would be 6 of his own players, 7 if we get a striker which would mean no excuses as Saka/Tierney/Leno are givens in the team.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
As said by the above posters you can’t really have Sterling Auba and Pepe as main attacking options. They aren’t similar players but they share one thing. For one reason or another they aren’t the most secure in the possession (either poor on the ball ie Auba or take risks ie Pepe).

Arteta has shown signs of wanting to move towards dominating teams and dominating possession. To do that we need a technical set of players (ESR Saka Ødegaard were the main choice of AMs for this reason). I think Pepe and Martinelli is enough risk taking in the starting lineup personally.

I don’t want Sterling or Maddison at this stage. I don’t think there are players out there this summer we can throw money at due to the fact we are so low down the table (blocks Grealish, we coulda got him back in the top4-5 days imo).

I’m kinda stumped. I think cheap AMs are the best value this summer like Olise Kamada or Aouar. If there is a world class CM to be acquired I think we should go for that over a Sterling or Maddison.

Kysus

Wait a minute, so we are trying to reduce the squad since last summer and the only thing we have managed so far is Sokratis/Mustafi contract termination, selling our top HG keeper and now struggle to replace him?
Nice...

We are just loaning everyone out again aren't we?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
As said by the above posters you can’t really have Sterling Auba and Pepe as main attacking options. They aren’t similar players but they share one thing. For one reason or another they aren’t the most secure in the possession (either poor on the ball ie Auba or take risks ie Pepe).

Arteta has shown signs of wanting to move towards dominating teams and dominating possession. To do that we need a technical set of players (ESR Saka Ødegaard were the main choice of AMs for this reason). I think Pepe and Martinelli is enough risk taking in the starting lineup personally.

I don’t want Sterling or Maddison at this stage. I don’t think there are players out there this summer we can throw money at due to the fact we are so low down the table (blocks Grealish, we coulda got him back in the top4-5 days imo).

I’m kinda stumped. I think cheap AMs are the best value this summer like Olise Kamada or Aouar. If there is a world class CM to be acquired I think we should go for that over a Sterling or Maddison.

Maddison is probably seen as our "Bruno" signing. He's that sort of AM, obviously not as good, but more of a goalscoring attacking mid than a pure playmaking attacking mid.

Maddison worked very well with Vardy (Auba in our case), a speed merchant who loves to run in behind.

I think with Saka, Ødegaard, ESR and Pepe we saw our best football when Lacazette played up front, that's because they play well off the striker. The striker drops deep and those guys play off him and make runs in behind.

With Aubameyang you have this problem where you can't play off of him, his first touch isn't good enough, his hold up play isn't good enough and his passing isn't good enough.

Now having Maddison in the side changes that a bit, because Maddison won't really look to play off of Auba. Which imo would benefit Aubameyang.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Some tenous links to Calvert-Lewin, how would we feel about that?
He signed a new deal quite recently. Everton rejected 90 million for Richarlison. DCL iso ut of our price range.

Isak makes the most sense as an alternative and even he is probably 60 million euros.

Malky

Established Member
Feel like DCL is one worth paying the asking fee for. I don't agree with the fees for Maddison, and especially White, but DCL, for me, feels like a CF on the verge of exploding. Give him guys like Saka, ESR, Pepe (new AM) and he could be our Harry Kane.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He signed a new deal quite recently. Everton rejected 90 million for Richarlison. DCL iso ut of our price range.

Isak makes the most sense as an alternative and even he is probably 60 million euros.

When United were sniffing round him last year the price being branded about was £80M and they said they'd be happy to take that.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yes I think we'd need a striker who can properly hold the ball up (DCL/Isak) for Sterling to be really good here and also a player who can pick out his runs. Either from deep (White/Partey/Neves) or further forward (Top AM).

So for now, unless the deal presents itself to us I'd probably say no, atm we don't need players who need others around to be top class.
Maddison is probably seen as our "Bruno" signing. He's that sort of AM, obviously not as good, but more of a goalscoring attacking mid than a pure playmaking attacking mid.

Maddison worked very well with Vardy (Auba in our case), a speed merchant who loves to run in behind.

I think with Saka, Ødegaard, ESR and Pepe we saw our best football when Lacazette played up front, that's because they play well off the striker. The striker drops deep and those guys play off him and make runs in behind.

With Aubameyang you have this problem where you can't play off of him, his first touch isn't good enough, his hold up play isn't good enough and his passing isn't good enough.

Now having Maddison in the side changes that a bit, because Maddison won't really look to play off of Auba. Which imo would benefit Aubameyang.
Look at that 45 minutes from Saka. This is why i don't want Maddison as a 10. We need a 10 who will attract defenders and release Saka and Pepe.

Maddison as a 10 reminds of a Mount, Eriksen, Sigurdsson type, good technicians, but just not natural dribblers/creators.

Ødegaard or Aouar.
In the purple patch where he registered most of those I still wasn't impressed with his performances. Not all will agree with that, but he was pretty poor for 89 of the 90 minutes and saved himself a with goal contribution. Although knocking the ball two metres to your left and having Harvey Barnes smash one into the top corner from 35 yards, is going to register better on whoscored that in the mind of the fans.

Again, when he's on it he's a great player, need to get that out of him more often. Anyone thinking they are taking our best player or anywhere close, would be greatly mistaken though.

Too much of a poacher. Doubt he'll be worth what Everton ask for. If we're looking at Englishmen then Watkins is the most suitable one as he's more well rounded.
Funnily enough they're both gooners. 😅
Would probably stay away from both, for now.
Sterling is quite a wasteful attacker, though, isn't he? It's not such an issue because City plays such beautiful attacking football, but we barely create chances as stands. Would definitely need more creativity in the side. Also, I agree he probably doesn't work that well with Auba. I would sell Laca regardless, though, because he isn't good enough. It would be interesting to sell Auba & Laca and buy a starting striker who has a complete profile and combine him with Sterling. Not sure who that would be. I like DCL a lot, but surely we can't afford both (would be a great madness summer, though). Perhaps Jesus and do a double at City if they get Kane. I rate him, but he always disappoints in output. Perhaps Isak, who does seem to be able to do a lot with the ball.
Finally!

We have posts that actually make sense.

Our team lack creativity, and we need to sign creative players to fix that.

We can’t have anymore of one-dimensional players/direct players, that will affect our passing game/build up play, reducing our creativity.

FluffyDoozi

Think DCL is a trap tbh, a poacher who mainly scores headers and tap ins, and Everton are going to demand a ridiculous fee for him
I doubt that you've watched him enough basing on that description. He's improved quite a lot on his all round play and has added goals to his game. Everton play with a lot of width so obviously so many of his chances will come from headers but there's just much more to his game.
That said, I'm not sure I'd want him for the money Everton would ask for. Not sure he'll ever be prolific enough and his form is a bit streaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom