• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 734,274
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ljonin

Personally, I’d take Rice as our only CM and then go into the season with Xhaka, Rice, Partey and Jorginho.

Then let’s see what happens at Madrid, if they sign Jude one of Camavinga or Tchouameni might be available the summer after.
That’s a very old midfield tho. Doesn’t fit with the current model at all. But Jorginho didn’t sign on to never play so we’re obviously not signing anyone else for the Partey role anytime soon.

It’s going to be Rice, or more likely whoever they target as an alternative when he signs for Chelsea.

My money is on Zubimendi.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Personally, I’d take Rice as our only CM and then go into the season with Xhaka, Rice, Partey and Jorginho.

Then let’s see what happens at Madrid, if they sign Jude one of Camavinga or Tchouameni might be available the summer after.
I still love the idea of Zubimendi and Rice. But with Jorginho, it seems unlikely we’ll get two in the summer.

I’m with you, Rice will hopefully be the one.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
That’s a very old midfield tho. Doesn’t fit with the current model at all. But Jorginho didn’t sign on to never play so we’re obviously not signing anyone else for the Partey role anytime soon.

It’s going to be Rice, or more likely whoever they target as an alternative when he signs for Chelsea.

You need experience in midfield imo. Wouldn’t call Partey or Xhaka old, they are probably in their prime. They have at least another season or two at this level.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Pretty much what @Heavy Duty Rom said, these guys have one or two seasons left and we need an area of the pitch which has vast experience, our defence and attack are still quite young.

Unless Xhaka leaves, which I think is possible or we move Jorginho on quickly then I can't see us signing two midfielders.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think of it a bit like this, next summer you bring in the player that will compete with Xhaka. In my opinion that will be Rice. We have Jorginho for Partey. The summer after (2024) Jorginho's contract expires, you can then bring in Partey's competitor and replacement.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
1f3bbe44-e5af-41a9-877d-b81a4be84a51_text.gif

ef90543d-2f1d-42e8-8cba-cac4d2d2f4b0_text.gif
No, No No. Total trash they bought i think for 50 millionish years ago. I would take James and as a stop gap if we need to depending on our situation at midfield Kovacic might not be bad. Point is they have no choice but to sell tons of players at a loss. They have no roster spots. Koulibaly as 3rd choice CB is someone else we can have to

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I think Brighton made a mistake in not selling him, he doesn’t look like a 70 million + player to me and I doubt either we or Chelsea will be back for him in the summer.
We should never buy a player from Bloom again. Just cut out the middle man and buy direct from South America, dutch, and Germans. Brighton isn’t doing rocket science if we wanted to we can do what they do much better

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Out of curiosity. Why do we treat Partey like he is 35? Yeah he has had two injuries but I think it's more down to mismanagement than him.

Also, there will be another Caicedo on the market in the summer of 2024
I think it is partially due to the injury record, but also due to wanting competition in all positions. As it is now, your heart is in your throat everytime he has a slight limp.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I still love the idea of Zubimendi and Rice. But with Jorginho, it seems unlikely we’ll get two in the summer.

I’m with you, Rice will hopefully be the one.
I don't think Jorginho affects the summer plans at all. He was cheap and he'll have only a year left on his contract come summer. If they want 2 midfielders, he won't impede that. He'll just become an expensive upgrade on Elnenny and allow us to actually truly rotate in the early stages of Europe and the Cups.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
I don't think Jorginho affects the summer plans at all. He was cheap and he'll have only a year left on his contract come summer. If they want 2 midfielders, he won't impede that. He'll just become an expensive upgrade on Elnenny and allow us to actually truly rotate in the early stages of Europe and the Cups.

Think we as Arsenal fans can demand two CM signings this summer, no question about it. As you pointed out, Jorginho is a Elneny replacement, Lokonga is gone in the summer, and I don't really think Patino is ready. As a CL team, we need more players capable of being starters, we don't need more players that are comfortable being backups.

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
I think Brighton made a mistake in not selling him, he doesn’t look like a 70 million + player to me and I doubt either we or Chelsea will be back for him in the summer.
we never come back for the target that we missed. We have more choices better than him in the summer. If we win the title,we can convince the top player to join us like Rice. And I think with Partey,Jorginho, Xhaka, and Patino, we just need add one more top CM.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Think we as Arsenal fans can demand two CM signings this summer, no question about it. As you pointed out, Jorginho is a Elneny replacement, Lokonga is gone in the summer, and I don't really think Patino is ready. As a CL team, we need more players capable of being starters, we don't need more players that are comfortable being backups.
I think a lot depends on Smith-Rowe, some people are forgetting how good he is. If he can stay fit I can see him taking Xhakas place in the team. I think his skillset is far more suited to one of the 8 roles than a wide player in the system we play.

For example Partey, Xhaka, Rice (maybe), ESR, Jorginho, Ødegaard and Vieira is plenty, 7 players for 3 positions and a good balance between youth and experience.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
I think a lot depends on Smith-Rowe, some people are forgetting how good he is. If he can stay fit I can see him taking Xhakas place in the team. I think his skillset is far more suited to one of the 8 roles than a wide player in the system we play.

For example Partey, Xhaka, Rice (maybe), ESR, Jorginho, Ødegaard and Vieira is plenty, 7 players for 3 positions and a good balance between youth and experience.

That's the problem though, I rate ESR, love him and think he can be a world class midfielder, but the only problem is his fitness issues.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

The thing is Rice isn't even the ideal midfielder for us, it would be someone in the Bellingham or Gundogan mould if we’re talking the ideal Xhaka replacement.

I understand why Rice makes sense though, he can give you a 7/10 in both Xhaka and Partey’s roles and if you played him with either of them you become very hard to beat.

I truly think Rice can get to another level with us and the coaching staff here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom