• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 723,922
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Kvara is the truth, he’s a level above Martinelli for sure. But De Laurentiis would demand at least 150m from a PL club in this market. Maybe City pay that but he’ll probably stay at Napoli another year. Which isn’t a bad thing, all the talent shouldn’t be in one league.

And lol there’s absolutely no way Rice is going for a British transfer record. He’ll go for like 80m, anything more than that is nonsensical.

Not if the demand is there. If Chelsea and Liverpool are sniffing around and are willing to offer that then West Ham will demand more. I think 100m is probably the max but it could be close to that.

Only thing I can think of is if it maybe comes down to respect for Rice on West Ham's part. But more and more clubs are simply not willing to part unless they get what they want.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Not if the demand is there. If Chelsea and Liverpool are sniffing around and are willing to offer that then West Ham will demand more. I think 100m is probably the max but it could be close to that.

Only thing I can think of is if it maybe comes down to respect for Rice on West Ham's part. But more and more clubs are simply not willing to part unless they get what they want.

Anything is possible in the market now. But as you say I definitely think there’s an acceptance there that Rice wants to leave and that wish should be respected. Apart from Chelsea no club is going to go up to 100m for him, Arsenal and Liverpool would just walk away.

Our opening bid will probably be 65 + 5 and eventually we’ll go to 75+5 or something.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
He is a DM though, there seems to be a lot of assumption that he can play as an 8 as Xhaka is doing, but I’ve not seen him play that role. Bit weird to spend 80m on someone to play a role they don’t usually play.

As @Trilly has said if you want to upgrade Xhaka you might be better off putting the big bucks down for Bellingham cos that’s a role he actually plays on a weekly basis.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He is a DM though, there seems to be a lot of assumption that he can play as an 8 as Xhaka is doing, but I’ve not seen him play that role. Bit weird to spend 80m on someone to play a role they don’t usually play.

As @Trilly has said if you want to upgrade Xhaka you might be better off putting the big bucks down for Bellingham cos that’s a role he actually plays on a weekly basis.

Only have to look at Xhaka to realise Rice can do what he does as well, and probably better. Xhaka doesn't do anything special in this team, but his value defensively and in attack is I think why Arteta may want Rice there.

Bellingham will pick and choose his club and will go for 100+ we aren't that club yet.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Anything is possible in the market now. But as you say I definitely think there’s an acceptance there that Rice wants to leave and that wish should be respected. Apart from Chelsea no club is going to go up to 100m for him, Arsenal and Liverpool would just walk away.

Our opening bid will probably be 65 + 5 and eventually we’ll go to 75+5 or something.

Liverpool have paid 100 million for Nunez and have broken records in the past, if they believed Rice was their guy I think they'd do it or at least close to it. I think it'll be north of 80m, I don't think Moyes can say what he said yesterday and then them accepting much less, it'd be a bad look.

He plays in a double pivot so it's a bit different. You watch his highlights vs Newcastle and there's a lot of times he occupies that half-space which Xhaka does. He also has all the right attributes to do it. I don't think with Partey, Jorginho and Elneny still at the club we'd be signing Rice to just use him as a 6. He carries the ball excellently, great pass selection and physical attributes and bursts into the box, I think he has everything needed to play that 8 role.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Us being in CL and Chelsea/Liverpool missing out might be the deciding factor, we can match wages for a player like this if we really want and I'd like to think Rice has a good head on his shoulders and the fact he's been banging on about CL past few years that'll massively influence his decision.

You only have to look at United/Arsenal and see how long it's taken us to get back to CL that Rice might see the same in Liverpool & Chelsea. They show no signs of getting back anytime soon.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Us being in CL and Chelsea/Liverpool missing out might be the deciding factor, we can match wages for a player like this if we really want and I'd like to think Rice has a good head on his shoulders and the fact he's been banging on about CL past few years that'll massively influence his decision.

You only have to look at United/Arsenal and see how long it's taken us to get back to CL that Rice might see the same in Liverpool & Chelsea. They show no signs of getting back anytime soon.

Thing is I don’t think CL status is a stable thing anymore. There are 7 clubs financially aiming for CL and only 4 spots. Only one of the 7 teams, City, regularly finish in the top 4. Any of the other 6 can make it or drop out. Chelsea will definitely expect to make it next season.

This is actually a huge problem for the PL because it’s just not sustainable to have 7 clubs fighting for 4 places. If you pay CL wages and then drop out for a year it messes your accounting up.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Thing is I don’t think CL status is a stable thing anymore. There are 7 clubs financially aiming for CL and only 4 spots. Only one of the 7 teams, City, regularly finish in the top 4. Any of the other 6 can make it or drop out. Chelsea will definitely expect to make it next season.

This is actually a huge problem for the PL because it’s just not sustainable to have 7 clubs fighting for 4 places. If you pay CL wages and then drop out for a year it messes your accounting up.

Well exactly, so the one year we make it it'll have to count to sign players like Rice.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It's likely that England has five UCL places from 2024 onwards, but not a certainty. Of course there is Newcastle which looks like another competitor.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Like who?
Depends what we would be after....a 6 or an 8.

I was talking about Onana before the transfer window...he would be perfect.

Without wanting to get wishlisty, Caicedo, Amrabat, Bellingham would all offer more.

Caicedo might be difficult now & Bellingham will likely be going to Madrid. I think the only way we could turn his head is by winning both PL & EL.

Patino probably has more to his overall game, just needs to develop a bit more.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Depends what we would be after....a 6 or an 8.

I was talking about Onana before the transfer window...he would be perfect.

Without wanting to get wishlisty, Caicedo, Amrabat, Bellingham would all offer more.

Caicedo might be difficult now & Bellingham will likely be going to Madrid. I think the only way we could turn his head is by winning both PL & EL.

Patino probably has more to his overall game, just needs to develop a bit more.

Disagree with all of this bar Bellingham who is too expensive.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

We definitely need a RW more than left now we have Trossard.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Actually watched Rice play yesterday and like @OnlyOne and @Tir Na Nog have said he was actually occupying the spaces that Xhaka does but the guys engine and athleticism is crazy because he’s back in the defensive third in the blink of an eye.

Thing is, Xhaka actually has a wand of a left foot and we’ve seen him put in some amazing crosses/shots and some cute passes. Yet we all agree that we could do with a more attacking CM in his potion.

Yet with Rice we don’t really have proof that he can do that. Good all rounder but what’s his offensive skill set? Having him in makes us really hard to beat and our transition defence would be world class but what does he add going forwards?

Bloodbather

Established Member

If we sign Rice, it should be for the DM position. He can do CM in the Xhaka role, but he wouldn't be world class there. It's DM where he's potentially world class. Good thing for the short-term is that Rice, Partey and Xhaka are versatile enough that you can use any two of them in a pivot together and have it working well.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

If we sign Rice, it should be for the DM position. He can do CM in the Xhaka role, but he wouldn't be world class there. It's DM where he's potentially world class.
This is what I think. It reminds me of when everyone thought Partey could be a top class no8 for us and it just didn’t go well.

Rice is similar, a great squad building signing, potentially world class no6 but able to give you a 7/10 in any midfield role but in games like yesterday Rice in Xhaka’s position doesn’t help us score a goal.

Xhaka is very underrated going forward, he’s a great ball striker and has an eye for a through ball. A Xhaka upgrade is a Bellingham, Pogba or Gundogan type of player. A box to box CM that slightly favours the attacking side of the game, for me Rice is a B2B CM that slightly favours the defensive side.

Still a very solid signing and I won’t complain if we do get him in but I’m not sure what the plan is.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Should have signed Onana
I think this would have been a really good January transfer you know. Especially if signing Caicedo wouldn’t have effected plans to sign a CM in summer.

Guy is a monster physically and can play too. Only 21 years old which is like a teenager in CM terms. I think Mikel could have worked wonders with him.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
This is what I think. It reminds me of when everyone thought Partey could be a top class no8 for us and it just didn’t go well.

Rice is similar, a great squad building signing, potentially world class no6 but able to give you a 7/10 in any midfield role but in games like yesterday Rice in Xhaka’s position doesn’t help us score a goal.

Xhaka is very underrated going forward, he’s a great ball striker and has an eye for a through ball. A Xhaka upgrade is a Bellingham, Pogba or Gundogan type of player. A box to box CM that slightly favours the attacking side of the game, for me Rice is a B2B CM that slightly favours the defensive side.

Still a very solid signing and I won’t complain if we do get him in.

It’s hard to gauge exactly what Arteta’s perfect midfield is. It’s easy to presume he wants the City midfield of KDB-Rodri-Gundogan. Ødegaard is a clear KDB type, Partey the same for Rodri. But Xhaka isn’t a clear Gundogan type.

You wonder if we’ve stumbled upon this midfield set up a bit by accident and it’s working well, but long term he’d want something a bit different.

I’m very sure I know what Arteta wants from his 6, it’s a press resistant distributor, obviously why he likes Jorginho. If we’re talking about that, Zubimendi is more that guy than Rice. But if you’re going to buy Rice, you surely play him at 6 rather than 8.

Really curious to know who Arteta wants as a long term Xhaka replacement at LCM, but I’d be surprised if it’s Rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom