• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 734,435
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
These cancelo links i hope are BS the money he earn should stop us get near him. Also man city will ask for like at least 50m this deal will more expensive than Zinchenko and G.Jesus combined. Stay away no matter if he talented fullback who can give you 20 assists a season

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Sky on about Cancelo and Gundogan ffs.

I think they’re 2 weeks behind.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Dharmesh

go away GIF

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I'd love both Rice and Caicedo, but i'm still not sure it would work.

This was essentially us in attack last season.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 19.30.01.png

Are we sure Rice can play that advanced role? Or would we be spending 90m on a player who can play well there but is not playing in his best position? a deeper midfield role?

That Xhaka role is so important, as we say last year, 14 goal contribution in the league, this from a player not known for goals or assists. We need to replace this, can either Rice or Caicedo do this?

I think we missed out with Paqueta last summer. Think he's the ideal player for that LCM position. An all rounder, can defend, good size, can attack, has some flair, can work in tight spaces high up the pitch, can create, can score. This is the profile we need for that position, not easy.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

View attachment 15641

Are we sure Rice can play that advanced role? Or would we be spending 90m on a player who can play well there but is not playing in his best position? a deeper midfield role?

That Xhaka role is so important, as we say last year, 14 goal contribution in the league, this from a player not known for goals or assists. We need to replace this, can either Rice or Caicedo do this?

I think we missed out with Paqueta last summer. Think he's the ideal player for that LCM position. An all rounder, can defend, good size, can attack, has some flair, can work in tight spaces high up the pitch, can create, can score. This is the profile we need for that position, not easy.
My perception of Xhaka's season was that he did remarkably well in that role even though it wasnt a 100% fit. I feel like some people think that Xhaka is a great fit for that position, but have this opinion more because he was the first to do it for us and did a ****ing great job.

Although it will be hard to place the leadership he brought, as well as some extremely intelligent marking and positioning he did, we can 100% improve on other aspects which are just as important for that role. These are things such as dribbling in tight areas, speed, athleticism, ability to take on players etc. Xhaka was a no.6/8 hybrid playing number 8, but if we got the right no.8, they could take the position to the next level.

Paqueta is a great example of pairing aspects from a no.6 - no.8 and no.10. Has the physical presence and aggression you need from a no.6, has the engine and ability to play both ways of the pitch like a no.8, then he has the flair and, before joining west ham, end product of a no.10. There are other iterations of 8s who would have been a fit too, Mount being more like a 8/10 hybrid. Theres the Viega guy too who apparently plays LCM and scores lots of goals.

On the topic of Rice, I believe he can do a similar role to what Xhaka did as a no.6/8 hybrid at number 8. So he will do the positional things, pressing, passing, game management well. He won't have the advantage of being able to do cut backs like Xhaka did a lot as he won't be playing on his strong side... but will provide much better athleticism and ball carrying. But Rice has shown he can score goals in an even more withdrawn position at West Ham this season. I dont think output would be an issue. He would have some of the same deficiencies as Xhaka just because he is innately a CM playing in an advanced CM position.

However, maybe Arteta wants this kind of profile for the role, as getting someone too attacking there tips the balance and makes our midfield less consistent or resilient in the tougher games- I see his point if thats the case, but it would be nice to have an attacking no.8 option too.

DuBB

View attachment 15641

I think there's going to be some variance to how we play next season.

Not a tear down and start again formation, but certainly tweaks to our play, build up, and positioning.

Really smart Arsenal fans have been able to illustrate the way we play for like 6 months, if not a year (going all the way back to the 2-1 January loss to City last year)

Even the average fan now has an understanding of our play and build up. It took a while, but we're finally getting to the point where even the average fan has stopped called Ødegaard a "10" and calling him an "8" and talking about "double pivots"

So if we've figured that out, imagine the levels to which coaches and analysts of rival teams have figured us out.

I think there is going to be a lot of what we saw this season in the next, but there will be changes and evolution that we don't expect too, in order to not be as predictable to our opponents.

And when you have players like Rice and Caicedo (not just them exactly, but players like them) who can play naturally in about 2-3 areas of the pitch each, you not only have variation and evolution from kick-off, you get it in-game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom