• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2023

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,523
  • Views 724,059
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
My perception of Xhaka's season was that he did remarkably well in that role even though it wasnt a 100% fit. I feel like some people think that Xhaka is a great fit for that position, but have this opinion more because he was the first to do it for us and did a ****ing great job.

Although it will be hard to place the leadership he brought, as well as some extremely intelligent marking and positioning he did, we can 100% improve on other aspects which are just as important for that role. These are things such as dribbling in tight areas, speed, athleticism, ability to take on players etc. Xhaka was a no.6/8 hybrid playing number 8, but if we got the right no.8, they could take the position to the next level.

Paqueta is a great example of pairing aspects from a no.6 - no.8 and no.10. Has the physical presence and aggression you need from a no.6, has the engine and ability to play both ways of the pitch like a no.8, then he has the flair and, before joining west ham, end product of a no.10. There are other iterations of 8s who would have been a fit too, Mount being more like a 8/10 hybrid. Theres the Viega guy too who apparently plays LCM and scores lots of goals.

On the topic of Rice, I believe he can do a similar role to what Xhaka did as a no.6/8 hybrid at number 8. So he will do the positional things, pressing, passing, game management well. He won't have the advantage of being able to do cut backs like Xhaka did a lot as he won't be playing on his strong side... but will provide much better athleticism and ball carrying. But Rice has shown he can score goals in an even more withdrawn position at West Ham this season. I dont think output would be an issue. He would have some of the same deficiencies as Xhaka just because he is innately a CM playing in an advanced CM position.

However, maybe Arteta wants this kind of profile for the role, as getting someone too attacking there tips the balance and makes our midfield less consistent or resilient in the tougher games- I see his point if thats the case, but it would be nice to have an attacking no.8 option too.

Yeah i agree, Xhaka done well, but there were certain situations in and around the box when i thought to myself what if, what if we had someone a little more mobile or nimble. But i guess what you gain there you'll lose in other areas. Rice would probably be a good replacement, and he has shown goal scoring ability this season, but i do fear we'll get moments where we think 'what if...' just like Xhaka.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Yeah i agree, Xhaka done well, but there were certain situations in and around the box when i thought to myself what if, what if we had someone a little more mobile or nimble. But i guess what you gain there you'll lose in other areas. Rice would probably be a good replacement, and he has shown goal scoring ability this season, but i do fear we'll get moments where we think 'what if...' just like Xhaka.
Thats why I think Rice is fine just because he can play that 8 role and the no.6 role. He could end up being our next no.6 eventually IMO while being a great Xhaka replacement in the medium term. If you sign an advanced no.8 on top of Rice then you are sorted.

Can do:

Partey
Ødegaard Rice

^In big games

Rice
Ødegaard New Number 8

^In home games vs lesser opposition.

What I dont understand is the fact people say Caicedo can play as a number 8. I've seen a few people say it but I dont get how he plays anywhere but the no.6 role in our system if he comes here. In a double pivot he could be the more advanced CM but certainly not a left sided no.8 in a 433. He does not have the flair or end product for that.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'd love both Rice and Caicedo, but i'm still not sure it would work.

This was essentially us in attack last season.

View attachment 15641

Are we sure Rice can play that advanced role? Or would we be spending 90m on a player who can play well there but is not playing in his best position? a deeper midfield role?

That Xhaka role is so important, as we say last year, 14 goal contribution in the league, this from a player not known for goals or assists. We need to replace this, can either Rice or Caicedo do this?

I think we missed out with Paqueta last summer. Think he's the ideal player for that LCM position. An all rounder, can defend, good size, can attack, has some flair, can work in tight spaces high up the pitch, can create, can score. This is the profile we need for that position, not easy.
What if Arteta changes tactics due to new players? I know he is extremely rigid like Conte, but maybe he has another tactics? Rice so high up is waste and never ever 100 million

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Thats why I think Rice is fine just because he can play that 8 role and the no.6 role. He could end up being our next no.6 eventually IMO while being a great Xhaka replacement in the medium term. If you sign an advanced no.8 on top of Rice then you are sorted.

Can do:

Partey
Ødegaard Rice

^In big games

Rice
Ødegaard New Number 8

^In home games vs lesser opposition.

What I dont understand is the fact people say Caicedo can play as a number 8. I've seen a few people say it but I dont get how he plays anywhere but the no.6 role in our system if he comes here. In a double pivot he could be the more advanced CM but certainly not a left sided no.8 in a 433. He does not have the flair or end product for that.

Yeah, i guess Caicedo would be effective as an 8 in terms of counter pressing and winning the ball high up. Its just what he can do with the ball in between the lines and in the box that i would question.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
What if Arteta changes tactics due to new players? I know he is extremely rigid like Conte, but maybe he has another tactics? Rice so high up is waste and never ever 100 million

I think there will be tweaks, but i can't see us straying from the 433. I wouldn't want us to either.

CannonBals

If we do sign both then I have a feeling that Rice could play a Stones kind of role while defending (my pick) or Caicedo can play RB while defending but otherwise it would be a 3-2-4-1 role basically box midfield with two 6s and two 8s with one of the 6s or even white joining the attack very late.
ESR/Zinchenko/Trossard can play that Left 8 role.

But very very high chance we dont sign both.
(With Edu decent chance we get neither)

Tom349

I think this is why we want Rice and Mount/Simmons/Viega/Maddison type of 8. That way depending on match ups we will have different options. Some games Rice will play the b2b role that will mean he will find himself as advanced 8 at times, other games he might be the one sitting and we have a more attacking threat playing there instead.

We need to stop looking at signings as a one size fits all and rather look at the what each profile gives us for different set ups. Rice at home to Nottingham Forrest would be limited playing high up (these types of games he could play deeper or get a needed rest), where as at home to United he could thrive there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom