• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Im sorry why the hell do we need a LW THIS summer? For this window we only need AM, CM, DM and backup LB to improve on last season. A CB and CF would be a nice plus.

Getting a starting RB should wait for next season, its just not really a requirement as we have players that can play there already and they are half decent.
We defo need a decent RB.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's the typical attitude that Arsenal have had this past few years. "We can do without X", "We'll be fine with Y for this season". The attitude which has got us back to back 8th place finishes.

If we're doing another season of average players in the starting roles, players that'll let you down and neglecting key positions, we're in for another season like the previous two. I don't think people realise how far we are away from the top 4. We need to serious improve this summer. Cedric/Chambers starting at RB and a player out of position at LW isn't the way to catching up on the teams ahead.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Imagine if Liverpool had to go a season without Mane and resorted to playing the likes of Origi, Minamino, etc as their LW. It'd take away a dimension of their attacking game. At some point we need a proper LW who can play the role. Auba and Martinelli are limited because their strikers, ESR is a midfielder, Saka and Pepe are both better on the right coming in onto their right foot. An actually LW adds another dimension to our attack.

This will be our third season without an LW, When does it become a priority? Maybe 8th isn't enough of a wakeup call. You can't just leave a key position vacant.

I'm sorry but why do you keep saying without a LW. What the hell do you think Saka is? What do you think Martinelli is? They're both going to be LW's... its not hard to see. You're just jumping over the facts being given to you.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
LW isn’t an issue this summer. People are sleeping on Saka at LW. If we sign a creative midfielder then ESR will sometimes play LW and operates well there. We also have Martinelli ofc who imo is doing perfectly well at LW and we don’t need to rush into playing at ST.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

LW isn’t an issue this summer. People are sleeping on Saka at LW. If we sign a creative midfielder then ESR will sometimes play LW and operates well there. We also have Martinelli ofc who imo is doing perfectly well at LW and we don’t need to rush into playing at ST.

Don't worry @Tir Na Nog is just trying to make an issue out of nothing.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We could cop a LW amongst all the actual problem areas, but all of the signings will be bums, and we will hear the same complaints.

Even city or Chelsea wouldn’t sign enough players for that. RB CB CMx2 AM ST backup LB are above LW for me.
I'd even add GK to that. Martinelli, Saka, Pepe, ESR all good at LWF. The only player who looks awkward there is Auba.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm sorry but why do you keep saying without a LW. What the hell do you think Saka is? What do you think Martinelli is? They're both going to be LW's... its not hard to see. You're just jumping over the facts being given to you.

Martinelli isn't a proper LW, and Saka is better on the right. Also Tierney would work far better with a Mane/Sterling/Son type LW than with a left-footed one that isn't really a traditional winger anyways.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Caqueret and Renato Sanches both needed along with Maddison. It also would have been nice if Raphinha was a LW, could have stuck him on the left with Pepe/Saka on the right.

That’s 250m right there.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Martinelli isn't a proper LW, and Saka is better on the right. Also Tierney would work far better with a Mane/Sterling/Son type LW than with a left-footed one that isn't really a traditional winger anyways.

Tierney works wonderfully with Saka down the left. Who are you dropping if we sign a AM and LW then? You're gonna keep ESR and Pepe on the bench for the foreseeable?

blrgooner

Established Member
Imagine if Liverpool had to go a season without Mane and resorted to playing the likes of Origi, Minamino, etc as their LW. It'd take away a dimension of their attacking game. At some point we need a proper LW who can play the role. Auba and Martinelli are limited because their strikers, ESR is a midfielder, Saka and Pepe are both better on the right coming in onto their right foot. An actually LW adds another dimension to our attack.

This will be our third season without an LW, When does it become a priority? Maybe 8th isn't enough of a wakeup call. You can't just leave a key position vacant.
I agree with this in general. I definitely think Martinelli and Auba are not answers for LW. Saka and Pepe are pretty good there but they are both better on the right hand side. I do think that we should play with a Midfielder LW and from that point of view, I think ESR is a very good option there. I think liverpool system works because of their system and their brilliant pressing levels and speed and range of passing skills they have from defense. At the moment, we don`t have a method of play where we can remove both the wingers from the build up phase and have them involved at the attacking phase(Which is where LWF/RWFs excel IMO).
I think the point which most people are making is that the level of performance which we get from ESR/Pepe/Saka at LW position is much better than the level of performance we get in other positions (CM/No10 etc.) So in terms on incremental improvements, other positions need strengthening more. I do think that many people here overrate our attacking squad strength though. I see many people saying that we are top 4 level in attack which I don`t agree with.

ScotsGooner89

Tierney works unbelievably well with Robertson for Scotland which is actually 2 out and out left footed wingbacks. Of course he’d do great with a prolonged run with saka is front of him.

Gn1212

everything @Red London said +
I think Saka's best position already is LW, and it's also where he feels most comfortable
I think Saka's at his best when he is rotating in a tripletta behind the striker. ESR and Pepe too.
It's why they work so well together, those 3 are so dynamic it makes them very unpredictable. That game against Slavia was the best example.

Hinderz

Not sure about this Newcastle source but Woodman plus cash (£20m?) for Willock would probably make a lot of sense for both parties. We get a good enough homegrown backup keeper, Newcastle get to save some cash using a player that’s not in their squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom