• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Replacing Xhaka with a proper CM would improve us massively. White is an upgrade on Luiz. We had NO backup for Tierney which we do now. Ødegaard doesn’t necessarily need replacing considering his limited impact.

In short:
- CM and GK are a must.
- RB, CAM and CF will only be signed if there are outgoings in those positions (Bellerin, Chambers, AMN, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah).

PS: why is Kolasinac still here?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I do find it suspicious that we are now going the 'Brexit' route when so many European clubs are under financial duress. Personally, I don't think the Brexit recruitment is intentional. I think our stock is so low that many of the big European names are not enticed by us. It's easier for Arsenal to convince a CB from Brighton to come to us than a CB from Leverkusen or Sevilla for example. I mean Aouar is dirt cheap and the club wants Maddison who will be at least 3 times as expensive. Or the Onana deal. He's available for like 10 million euros and we are twerking for Ramsdale. It doesn't make sense, but it does when you look at how little our clout is.
Look at it like this. Aouar, Camavinga, Onana, Tapsoba or Maddison, Neves, Ramsdale, White. You know if Arsenal were attractive we would be going for the former.

Newchange

Replacing Xhaka is the key signing this summer . Get it right and it will improve our play massively. Get it wrong and it will all come crashing down on Arteta very quickly! Personally I would go with Miralem Pjanić. Experienced and technical qualities could work well with Partey. Ward Prowse could be a Milner like signing also. Stay away from Neves he’s slower the Granit and goes missing. Moutinho could also be a shout be age is against him

TheDrunkenMaster

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I do find it suspicious that we are now going the 'Brexit' route when so many European clubs are under financial duress. Personally, I don't think the Brexit recruitment is intentional. I think our stock is so low that many of the big European names are not enticed by us. It's easier for Arsenal to convince a CB from Brighton to come to us than a CB from Leverkusen or Sevilla for example. I mean Aouar is dirt cheap and the club wants Maddison who will be at least 3 times as expensive. Or the Onana deal. He's available for like 10 million euros and we are twerking for Ramsdale. It doesn't make sense, but it does when you look at how little our clout is.
Look at it like this. Aouar, Camavinga, Onana, Tapsoba or Maddison, Neves, Ramsdale, White. You know if Arsenal were attractive we would be going for the former.
Its because arteta, vinai and edu need the short term results. Its irresponsible of the kroenke‘s letting them waste the money on the players we have been linked to. I doubt the Club will recover from this Summer

Tom349

Anyone else kind of underwhelmed with the players we’re being linked with?

Ben white is exciting for a CB. And Sambi could be a shrewd long term prospect.

But aside from that, I’m not hearing solid links with anyone else that excites me.
James Maddison.... a backup keeper.... a backup striker. Underwhelming, especially consider how much of a gap we have to make up to get back to top 4.

I don't understand this attitude. We have signed guys like Pepe in the past who at the time was super exciting yet his performances have rarely matched what we were expecting from him. We should be judging players on how they're going to fit into the team and improve us with their particular skill set, not based solely on their talents which may or may not improve us.

Maddison for example I don't this is a massively talented player and there are plenty of 10's out there who are a similar level overall but his particular strengths are areas where we are lacking. Our crossing and shooting from dead ball situations is dire, Maddison is very strong in this area. Our goal threat from outside the box is lacking, Maddison again is strong in this area. He may not unlock opposition defence or carry the ball as well as other options out there but we have the likes of Saka and ESR who can. There are obviously more areas to his game that he is both weak and strong in but I think the strong interest stems from how he fits with our existing options. Sadly 50-60m doesn't buy you a complete player like it did 5-10 years ago.

The CM situation is anyone best guess at this stage.

I feel like Ramsdale is being judged too harshly based on a few people watching a few of his earlier games and then pretending to watch Sheffield run home. If you watched his later games then 20-30m for a young english GK who has already spent two seasons in the PL and has plenty more growth ahead of him is no where near of a disaster as some have made out. Doesn't help with all the revisionism around Martinez either. Im not necessarily advocating for him but I do see some of the appeal.

Abraham is an opportunity buy. At the very least he is good back up which with Lacazette and Eddie likely leaving will be needed. Ticks a number of boxes and as a fan base we need to stop comparing every striker to the likes of RvP and Henry. We were incredibly blessed with the run of elite strikers we had from wright through to RvP but how many up and coming strikers on the market now can put in the same conversation as those guys. The likes of Mpabbe and Haaland yes and are way out of our league at present, then there is a massive drop off. Abraham actually stacks up favourably to nearly every other up and coming striker, which speaks more for the lack of quality than it does his talent, but until such time as the next wave of elite strikers come through we are going to need players like him. Even if that player ends up being Balogun who realistically is going to need a loan or two before he is ready for that responsibility.

Rightly or wrongly our ability to bridge the gap to the top 4 is going to fall at the feet of the likes of Saka and ESR mostly. We are banking on their development to take us back to the top and their ceilings will ultimately decide how far we go not so much for this season but future seasons. I don't think you can question the players we are bringing in based on their age and the timeline being in sync with these two and their qualities are ones we are lacking and complement our existing players. Hopefully they are good enough overall and do provide the support to bring us closer to the top.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Not long left in the window, sure would love to see that plan they've had for the last few months being put in to action. Seriously concerned that they are actually as incompetent as they have appeared until now.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not long left in the window, sure would love to see that plan they've had for the last few months being put in to action. Seriously concerned that they are actually as incompetent as they have appeared until now.

There's 6 weeks. There's loads of time left, problem is there isn't long until the season starts.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
There's 6 weeks. There's loads of time left, problem is there isn't long until the season starts.
Exactly and we seem to have spent all our time bringing in reserve players, chasing players for positions we dont need, look to spend massive amounts of money on positions we dont need. Meanwhile we cant play the ball through the centre of midfield but we couldnt possibly stretch to buy a Beundia or now Maddison. Better spend more time chasing Ødegaard and Locatelli who dont even want to be here, m aking Arteta saying he wants 100% committed players only a bit of a joke.

Theres a basic test that gets you to set priorities if you crash landed in the arctic in a lake beside the shore. Most people would try and get matches and something to burn to stay warm, Arteta and Edu would be trying to find a colouring book in case they got bored.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Exactly and we seem to have spent all our time bringing in reserve players, chasing players for positions we dont need, look to spend massive amounts of money on positions we dont need. Meanwhile we cant play the ball through the centre of midfield but we couldnt possibly stretch to buy a Beundia or now Maddison. Better spend more time chasing Ødegaard and Locatelli who dont even want to be here, m aking Arteta saying he wants 100% committed players only a bit of a joke.

Theres a basic test that gets you to set priorities if you crash landed in the arctic in a lake beside the shore. Most people would try and get matches and something to burn to stay warm, Arteta and Edu would be trying to find a colouring book in case they got bored.
I am one of the first to call the club incompetent.

However, at this moment in time they have done well. I think they have done all they can do. I doubt we bid for Locatelli. Sassuolo used us like Norwich did. We liked Ødegaard and wanted him, but I don't think 10 is the priority. CM should be.

Replacement for Luiz? Ben White.
Back up left back? Tavares
Someone who can develop and back up Partey? Lokonga.

Now is the serious test as to whether they have a plan.

Bellerin needs to be moved on and if he does go the rb needs to come in.

Lacazette and Eddie need to go, and Abraham can come in. A striker with a different profile. That is good squad building.

Most importantly. As soon as Xhaka leaves, which looks like soon, we need to bring in that CM so they are ready to start tur season. Whether it is Neves, Sanches, Camavinga, Koopmeiners, Henderson. It needs to happen.

Cm, Rb and CF need to be done before the first game of the season. The 10 and Gk can wait.

-----------------------------Leno
Adams------White--------Mari---------Tierney
---------------Partey----Renato Sanches
---Pepe--------------ESR----------------Auba
----------------------Abraham

That is how I would hope we line up for Brentford.

benjamin86

Established Member

However, at this moment in time they have done well. I think they have done all they can do. I doubt we bid for Locatelli. Sassuolo used us like Norwich did. We liked Ødegaard and wanted him, but I don't think 10 is the priority. CM should be.

Lacazette and Eddie need to go, and Abraham can come in. A striker with a different profile. That is good squad building.

Most importantly. As soon as Xhaka leaves, which looks like soon, we need to bring in that CM so they are ready to start tur season. Whether it is Neves, Sanches, Camavinga, Koopmeiners, Henderson. It needs to happen.

Cm, Rb and CF need to be done before the first game of the season. The 10 and Gk can wait.

Tchouameni for me, we desperately need someone that can recover the ball, press and pass it. Partey as our top tackler with 1.8 ranked 55th in the premiership.

bonzka

I think he has all the skills to play centrally. I remember him playing centrally for City as well, but you're right he mostly plays on the right.
If there’s any chance you bite their hand off. He’s a very intelligent player and a move into the middle might be a draw.

Arteta must have a in if there’s any possibility.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member

If we sell Xhaka and only bring in one central midfielder we will be playing Elneny at some point, we have a serious depth problem there. We essentially have 3 midfielders for 2 positions including Lokonga... after that we have Elneny.

We also have question marks about Partey and ESRs fitness from last year. With ESR while you hope for the best but we will essentially have to play him every single game or not have an attacking midfielder - which means we adjust our entire style based on one players fitness.

I do like what we've done so far, think Lokonga and White will be good additions but we really need to prioritise. If we're waiting to sell Xhaka before buying someone it could be end of the window stuff or not at all. Im being a bit cynical but our hopes were raised massively and there was several mentions of a plan and big summers and Im yet to see anything that would suggest it.

Fair enough if they push the boat out in the next few weeks but Ornstein already sounding the notes of Maddison being out of reach etc. isn't filling me with optimism.

(thats one hell of a counter attaccking team to play against Brentford and should show how much we are dependent upon Saka + ESR right now)

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Whilst i'm pleased he got the number, I really don't like all the noise about ESR being given the No.10 role. He's just not good enough there, as a winger, he has fantastic potential. Play him as a LW and that left hand side of Tierney and ESR will bring back memories of the good old days. We need a better CAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom