• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Whilst i'm pleased he got the number, I really don't like all the noise about ESR being given the No.10 role. He's just not good enough there, as a winger, he has fantastic potential. Play him as a LW and that left hand side of Tierney and ESR will bring back memories of the good old days. We need a better CAM.
This reminds me of the time when there were a load of people arguing Saka could be a world class left back but only an okay winger (not that crazy obviously). We've maybe not seen ESR as much centrally as we should have but he looked great when he played there, at least imo.

Edit: a number doesnt lock you down to the position either

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I am one of the first to call the club incompetent.

However, at this moment in time they have done well. I think they have done all they can do. I doubt we bid for Locatelli. Sassuolo used us like Norwich did. We liked Ødegaard and wanted him, but I don't think 10 is the priority. CM should be.

Replacement for Luiz? Ben White.
Back up left back? Tavares
Someone who can develop and back up Partey? Lokonga.

Now is the serious test as to whether they have a plan.

Bellerin needs to be moved on and if he does go the rb needs to come in.

Lacazette and Eddie need to go, and Abraham can come in. A striker with a different profile. That is good squad building.

Most importantly. As soon as Xhaka leaves, which looks like soon, we need to bring in that CM so they are ready to start tur season. Whether it is Neves, Sanches, Camavinga, Koopmeiners, Henderson. It needs to happen.

Cm, Rb and CF need to be done before the first game of the season. The 10 and Gk can wait.

-----------------------------Leno
Adams------White--------Mari---------Tierney
---------------Partey----Renato Sanches
---Pepe--------------ESR----------------Auba
----------------------Abraham

That is how I would hope we line up for Brentford.
That frontline is horrendous. You are literally relying on Partey to pass the ball.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
This reminds me of the time when there were a load of people arguing Saka could be a world class left back but only an okay winger (not that crazy obviously). We've maybe not seen ESR as much centrally as we should have but he looked great when he played there, at least imo.

Edit: a number doesnt lock you down to the position either
He's looked much better on the left for me, where he can use his dribbling ability to isolate the full back 1v1. Most of his good work came from going down the wing and playing a cut back.

At the moment, he doesn't have enough passing range or tempo to play the CAM role consistently imo.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
He's looked much better on the left for me, where he can use his dribbling ability to isolate the full back 1v1. Most of his good work came from going down the wing and playing a cut back.

At the moment, he doesn't have enough passing range or tempo to play the CAM role consistently imo.
Maybe, I've definitely seen him cause serious problems with his touch and ability to turn and beat players facing him. He also had the ability to support the attack on both flanks, if we sign another attacking midfielder I wouldnt mind him playing on the left but Id expect him to play narrow and interchange with whoever is central. Like a Dani Olmo and Saka on the other side and defences wouldn't know what to do.

Rattata

Can't agree with this at all. It's like we watched a different player last season.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Maybe, I've definitely seen him cause serious problems with his touch and ability to turn and beat players facing him. He also had the ability to support the attack on both flanks, if we sign another attacking midfielder I wouldnt mind him playing on the left but Id expect him to play narrow and interchange with whoever is central. Like a Dani Olmo and Saka on the other side and defences wouldn't know what to do.
Thats why i'd like Aouar. They could interchange.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Can't agree with this at all. It's like we watched a different player last season.
Assist vs Newcastle - down the wing, cut back

Assist vs WBA, down the wing, cut back.

Best performance - Sp**s LW.

He was at his best when he had Ødegaard to play off. Smith Rowe is a mover, he's always looking to pass and move, limited touches, he doesn't really want the ball, a playmaker wants the ball.

It might be a lazy comparison but it reminds me of the Grealish situation, most people think he's a CAM, but all his best performances come as a LW, why? Because they are both ball carriers and neither are what i'd class as natural playmakers, ones who understand tempo and have elite vision and execution of a pass.

Last edited:

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
It might be a lazy comparison but it reminds me of the Grealish situation, most people think he's a CAM, but all his best performances come as a LW, why? Because they are both ball carriers and neither are what i'd class as natural playmakers, ones who understand tempo and have elite vision and execution of a pass.
I need to setup a reminder for this or something, while I wouldnt say Grealish is a central attacking midfielder his passing is absolutely brilliant, his shooting is great but its his ability to put someone through while dribbling past players at speed that makes him truly dangerous.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That frontline is horrendous. You are literally relying on Partey to pass the ball.
Partey, White and Sanches actually. Sanches is a progressive passer. How many passers do you want?

---------------------White-----Mari
---------------Adams-Partey-Sanches
----------Pepe--ESR--------------------------Tierney
----------------------Abraham-Auba

That is our shape with the ball. It goes to a 2-3 with Pepe and ESR leaning to the right, Tierney on the left, Auba moving infield and Abraham cf.

That is literally how Arteta has plays. Adams, Partey, Sanches will prevent transitions and win second balls allowing us to keep pressure. Whites ability on the ball allows us to play higher up the pitch, ESR's ability to run off the ball will allow him to move outside Pepe, making Pepe drive in field closer to goal and Abraham is the target for Tierneys crosses.

Yet all you think about is having a specific player to pass the ball.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Partey, White and Sanches actually. Sanches is a progressive passer. How many passers do you want?

That is our shape with the ball. It goes to a 2-3 with Pepe and ESR leaning to the right, Tierney on the left, Auba moving infield and Abraham cf.

That is literally how Arteta has plays. Adams, Partey, Sanches will prevent transitions and win second balls allowing us to keep pressure. Whites ability on the ball allows us to play higher up the pitch, ESR's ability to run off the ball will allow him to move outside Pepe, making Pepe drive in field closer to goal and Abraham is the target for Tierneys crosses.

Trust me, this would not work. We aren't a counter attacking team, according to OPTA, Pepe created 3 big chances last season, Auba created 1, Tammy has a pass success rate in the 70% range.

You need players who can keep the ball. Its why we played better when a fit Ødegaard was in the side. The frontline lacks balance.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

I swear last season we played with the left DM in the LCB role when Tierney pushed forward and RB mainly bombed past Pepe?

Not sure where people are getting the whole inverted RB from.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I swear last season we played with the left DM in the LCB role when Tierney pushed forward and RB mainly bombed past Pepe?

Not sure where people are getting the whole inverted RB from.
Left dm dropped in to fill the lcb role as that is all Xhaka could do. If you played Xhaka higher up he would get exposed.

Inverted rb comes from our RBS inverting all season. Making runs inside the wide player leaving our wide player stuck on the touchline.

With Tierney being so attacking, the rb tucks in to become a 3rd midfielder.

Ideally the left sided midfielder needs to be more athletic than Xhaka allowing us to have a 2- 3 instead or a 3-2.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Trust me, this would not work. We aren't a counter attacking team, according to OPTA, Pepe created 3 big chances last season, Auba created 1, Tammy has a pass success rate in the 70% range.

You need players who can keep the ball. Its why we played better when a fit Ødegaard was in the side. The frontline lacks balance.
Auba is a player who cant hold the ball as a centre forward as he doesn't like contact. He needs to ghost into the back post and he does that best from lw. The problem is that when he has played there, he has been doing doggies up and down the touchline because the left sided central midfielder is Xhaka.

Now you are talking about getting to the final third and keeping the ball there. Our problem has been progressing the ball to the final third and the inability to create chances.

I don't see chance creation as something that one or two players should he delivering. I see it as a systemic issue.

What we haven't been able to do is win the ball back in a proactive manner, sustain attacks and also move up the pitch. It literally doesn't matter if you have players who lose the ball in the final third if you can 1) consistently get there 2) win it back when you lose it.

Adams- Partey and Renato Sanches can all win the ball, dribble and carry. They can also pass. However it is the movement that will be the problem for the defence.

Currently, if Laca plays cf, he drops deep. So you either follow him and kick him or you let him drop deep. Either way. He isn't getting back to the box and he isn't a threat with his movement or aerially. Auba isn't a threat if you can see him coming and if the ball is in the air. Pepe isn't a threat on the touchline.

What makes us offensively difficult to handle is if your cf can run in behind, play back to ball, but also attack the ball in the air. It means that player occupies 2 CBS. Auba ghosting off the left exploits the space between the CB and full back. The full back would be busy with Tierney.

On the right you have ESR overlapping Pepe who then moves infield. All this happening at the same time with repeated decoy runs and behind that you have Partey, Adams and Sanches recovering the ball. That's how you pose a problem for a team. Not with Ødegaard blocking the entire right half space with his one footedness and inability to win 50/50s when we lose the ball.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Left dm dropped in to fill the lcb role as that is all Xhaka could do. If you played Xhaka higher up he would get exposed.

Inverted rb comes from our RBS inverting all season. Making runs inside the wide player leaving our wide player stuck on the touchline.

With Tierney being so attacking, the rb tucks in to become a 3rd midfielder.

Ideally the left sided midfielder needs to be more athletic than Xhaka allowing us to have a 2- 3 instead or a 3-2.

I'm not sure about that. I swear it was pretty regular with the right back overlapping either Saka or Pepe who constantly cut in. Seldom did I see Bellerin coming inside as he's terrible with the ball anyway.

I personally think the system is similar to Liverpools. Full backs overlap forwards come inside.

SK___

I wish we could buy before we sell like everbody else because this is a load of s***... imagine starting the season with a squad full of dead guys, all because other clubs had the intelligence not to bother with any of them, what happens then? wait for january then summer then the following january to be 💩 free? get a new dof because edu is making me sick...
donny should be learning his trade in the brazilian second division, not here...

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm not sure about that. I swear it was pretty regular with the right back overlapping either Saka or Pepe who constantly cut in. Seldom did I see Bellerin coming inside as he's terrible with the ball anyway.

I personally think the system is similar to Liverpools. Full backs overlap forwards come inside.
Tierney overlaps, Auba moves infield. Pepe stays wide, Bellerin underlaps.

We have been inverting our right back consistently. Kind of strange that you think we push both full backs outside our wingers, considering it is a common consensus on this forum that Pepe is also on the touch line.

Its 5 up in attack and 5 back.

Pushing both full backs would leave 4 back.

We don't leave 4 back.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Auba is a player who cant hold the ball as a centre forward as he doesn't like contact. He needs to ghost into the back post and he does that best from lw. The problem is that when he has played there, he has been doing doggies up and down the touchline because the left sided central midfielder is Xhaka.

Now you are talking about getting to the final third and keeping the ball there. Our problem has been progressing the ball to the final third and the inability to create chances.

I don't see chance creation as something that one or two players should he delivering. I see it as a systemic issue.

What we haven't been able to do is win the ball back in a proactive manner, sustain attacks and also move up the pitch. It literally doesn't matter if you have players who lose the ball in the final third if you can 1) consistently get there 2) win it back when you lose it.

Adams- Partey and Renato Sanches can all win the ball, dribble and carry. They can also pass. However it is the movement that will be the problem for the defence.

Currently, if Laca plays cf, he drops deep. So you either follow him and kick him or you let him drop deep. Either way. He isn't getting back to the box and he isn't a threat with his movement or aerially. Auba isn't a threat if you can see him coming and if the ball is in the air. Pepe isn't a threat on the touchline.

What makes us offensively difficult to handle is if your cf can run in behind, play back to ball, but also attack the ball in the air. It means that player occupies 2 CBS. Auba ghosting off the left exploits the space between the CB and full back. The full back would be busy with Tierney.

On the right you have ESR overlapping Pepe who then moves infield. All this happening at the same time with repeated decoy runs and behind that you have Partey, Adams and Sanches recovering the ball. That's how you pose a problem for a team. Not with Ødegaard blocking the entire right half space with his one footedness and inability to win 50/50s when we lose the ball.
Abraham isn't great at holding the ball either. So in your frontline, you have Pepe, Auba, Abraham, none of who hold the ball well, none of who create chances.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Abraham isn't great at holding the ball either. So in your frontline, you have Pepe, Auba, Abraham, none of who hold the ball well, none of who create chances.
Since when does Pepe not retain the ball well?

All the ball retention comes from Partey, Sanches, ESR, Adams and Tierney. The entire team would be in the opposition half pinning the opposition back.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Since when does Pepe not retain the ball well?

All the ball retention comes from Partey, Sanches, ESR, Adams and Tierney. The entire team would be in the opposition half pinning the opposition back.
As much as we love Pepe and want to see him have a big season, no Arsenal fan can sit here and say he doesn't lose the ball carelessly. It happens all the time.

You are overcomplicating it with your team. It has no balance and no creativity. Its set up to counter attack, which we don't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom