• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatAFC

Every club does it of course. My concern is that we don't seem to have learned our lesson from the last time.

The likes of Mustafi and Sokratis we've rightfully wiped the slate clean with but have replaced them with Willian, Cedric and Mari who we'll face the same situation with over the next 2-3 seasons. There was absolutely no need to give any of those guys the wages they're currently claiming. That's not the players fault either obviously.
No one could have seen willians awful drop in form. He was a consistent performer for Chelsea and you knew what you were getting from him every game. Here he’s just fallen off a cliff.

Unfortunately it happens, you can’t blame the club for bringing him in. The guy has massive experience in big games & the PL. The only thing you can criticise the club for is giving him a 3 year deal. 2+ the option of a 3rd is what should have been on the table. But then Willian wouldn’t have joined.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
No one could have seen willians awful drop in form. He was a consistent performer for Chelsea and you knew what you were getting from him every game. Here he’s just fallen off a cliff.

Unfortunately it happens, you can’t blame the club for bringing him in. The guy has massive experience in big games & the PL. The only thing you can criticise the club for is giving him a 3 year deal. 2+ the option of a 3rd is what should have been on the table. But then Willian wouldn’t have joined.
Of course you can blame the club. We gave him a 3 year contract to take him to 35 years old.
I already knew he would be inconsistent as lots of Chelsea supporters did not like him due to his patchy form.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Of course you can blame the club. We gave him a 3 year contract to take him to 35 years old.
I already knew he would be inconsistent as lots of Chelsea supporters did not like him due to his patchy form.
Absolutely, I was someone who thought Willian would be good here, but even I was nearly getting sick at the idea of a 3 year contract - and that was before the wages and signing on bonus he would get here were mentioned. It was a large chunk of the price of Beundia who was rumoured to be going for 20 million last summer but we waitied until this summer to try and bid 30 for him. 🤞 for the rest of this window

WhatAFC

I take it you didn’t actually read the post you quoted. I said he should have got 2 years with a option of a 3rd, which you can criticise the club for.
The actual signing of him you can’t because on paper, Willian should have been a fairly solid signing.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I take it you didn’t actually read the post you quoted. I said he should have got 2 years with a option of a 3rd, which you can criticise the club for.
The actual signing of him you can’t because on paper, Willian should have been a fairly solid signing.
Yes you can. Even Mourinhio said he was expensive.

He was not a 200K worth player either. At 32, unless you are a superstar like Ronaldo or Messi, you should not be getting a sign on fee of 10 million.

That's crazy.

WhatAFC

Yes you can. Even Mourinhio said he was expensive.

He was not a 200K worth player either. At 32, unless you are a superstar like Ronaldo or Messi, you should not be getting a sign on fee of 10 million.

That's crazy.
You do realise that basically every player gets a singing on fee. When players who are moving on a free, with no transfer fee to be paid they basically get a large portion of what their transfer fee would have been.

The guy was on £140k a week at Chelsea. As if he’s not going to get a bump in wages moving for free.

Hell, Ramsey is on £400k a week at juve. Why? Because he moved for a free.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
You do realise that basically every player gets a singing on fee. When players who are moving on a free, with no transfer fee to be paid they basically get a large portion of what their transfer fee would have been.

The guy was on £140k a week at Chelsea. As if he’s not going to get a bump in wages moving for free.

Hell, Ramsey is on £400k a week at juve. Why? Because he moved for a free.

This makes the obviously poor decision to sign Willian, let alone give him 220k a week, better how?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Do you ever stop trying to argue something that hasnt been mentioned, sick of it. You asked how we ended up with 2 players without scouting them and I pointed out how.

Now you're trying to suggest I said we fired every scout - no we didnt but we fired the vast majority of them. But Id dint say that so I dont know why you brought it up with me.

A lot of people lost their jobs who were very good at them and very loyal to the club that have not been rehired, so no it wasnt just covid. This is where you need to think a little bit more.

I get your whole attitude around the club can do no wrong but this is getting delusional, and very very condescending.

Alright brother calm down. I just remember you saying we've got rid of all our scouts in prior posts. You said we basically signed Lokonga because Kompany recommended him. You don't think we scouted him at all after Kompany recommended the kid? Because that's a bit silly if the club purely go off of recommendations and completely unrealistic. We'll heavily scout players, wether thats through video analysis or actually going to watch them play.

A lot of people lost their jobs because the football club is a business, you can't keep people on the payroll for 2 years who wont have any job at the club for a very long time. Whilst it may seem unethical to some, its just common business sense. The club were streamlining regardless, any big organisation does the same thing. Look at the amount of jobs HSBC had to cut and such. So I don't see this as a wrong move from the club, despite it being horrible for the people who lost jobs. They did however receive nice packages to see them through the worst periods and were getting paid for quite a few months before getting sacked.

I don't think the club can do no wrong, i've openly said multiple times the many things the club got wrong. But thanks for your concern and I hope this clears a lot of things up.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
My friend, didn't you know Barca's middle name was 'horrendous business'? They have completely ignored La Masia in favour of big name transfers and it doesn't look like it will change any time soon.
It has changed. Have you see their signings, THEY'RE ALL FREE LMAO. Except for Emerson which cost 9 million pounds. They're broke, they have no choice but to use La Masia

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Is this guy legit?

Wouldn’t want Bruno Guimarães as we could have got him a lot cheaper before he moved to Lyon. You have to go for Caqueret if we’re keen on someone from there.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Is this guy legit?

Wouldn’t want Bruno Guimarães as we could have got him a lot cheaper before he moved to Lyon. You have to go for Caqueret if we’re keen on someone from there.

I saw this earlier but didn't post it due to it seeming a bit dodgy. He's quality, wouldn't actually mind for that price either.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Don't want to sound like that poster, Football manager, but I really like this dude, Could be the biggest La Masia product in years.
He looks alright, but even in highlights he doesn’t look outstanding and this is for Barca B. He’s 22 and if he was the biggest product from La Masia he’d have more minutes for Barca.

Meanwhile Pedro is starting for Spain NT at 18(?) and Fati is the youngest scorer in Barca history...

WhatAFC

This makes the obviously poor decision to sign Willian, let alone give him 220k a week, better how?
Its obviously poor now, due to his awful performances last season. At the time it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as it currently looks.

What was given to him, in terms of wages and signing on fee, was pretty in line with his experience, quality & the fact he was a free agent. Not to mention he’s on £200k a week, not £220k.

Chelsea offered him very similar wages, but a shorter contract and signing on fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom