• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
This is a big issue with this fanbase. Incredibly reactionary. We do not need to get a new CM. We get a new CM and suddenly Lokonga is 4th choice?! Why should we drop £40M on a new mid when Lokonga was purchased to be Parteys backup.

The only reason or time we should be getting a new CM is if Xhaka leaves. Even Willock is staying so you gonna push him down to like 5th choice now!?
Agree with this.

mpower2540

You've nailed it right there. In his time with us we've seen loads of different players be in and out of favour then even back in again.

I don't even think it's a case of him not rating some of these guys but more that he can't decide who to use. One of these coaches who likes a huge squad.
Look, I actually have a modicum of sympathy for him. Can’t be easy managing this **** show especially when you’re surrounded by people with almost as little experience as you have. Seems to me like we’ve given him far too much influence and he’s struggling with it. Funnily enough we did the exact same with Wenger till the pressure became too great. Maddening we’ve done the same with Mikel.

He’s desperate to rush us towards this technical, possession based, high press, play out from the back team when we’re not close to being capable of it. Personally, over time I’ve really grown a bit tired of him and his big brain imbalanced line ups, his lack of trust in talents while trusting the ones who are good lads but are taking us nowhere.

He’s young enough and dare I say intelligent enough to turn it around but my fear is his own ego is going to cost him big time here, yet the people around him don’t seem to have the ability to help. Problem is it’ll probably have to get really bad before our owners actually do anything about it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If they're not gonna buy another CM, then surely they have to give Willock chances, but he would suit 4-3-3 better.

I would love to get Elneny replaced as soon as possible, and get a starting quality player ahead of Xhaka.

But maybe the club doesn't want to do that when we have Azeez and Patino coming up. We check Willock's current level and fit for tactics, Elneny gone next summer and Azeez taking his place.

GLITCH

It's interesting hearing someone go into bat for Edu because it's so rare. Unlike Arteta he basically has no defenders. I'd like to know why Fabrizio thinks he's one of the best. What does he base that on because we've seen very little to show he has a convincing technical vision for the club.
Both frauds.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

This is a big issue with this fanbase. Incredibly reactionary. We do not need to get a new CM. We get a new CM and suddenly Lokonga is 4th choice?! Why should we drop £40M on a new mid when Lokonga was purchased to be Parteys backup.

The only reason or time we should be getting a new CM is if Xhaka leaves. Even Willock is staying so you gonna push him down to like 5th choice now!?
Is it really reactionary though? Midfield was the main thing we needed to address going into the window. Lokonga has looked sharp but ideally we would’ve gotten a new starting mid to at least compete with Xhaka imo as the main priority and then another to replace Xhaka would he move. For me Lokonga as 3rd choice is a bit thin and I was expecting someone more ready made.

Partey, New CM, Xhaka, Lokonga is what I feel we need for the double pivot.
I agree on Willock though if he stays, that’d be a bit weird with a new signing. Elneny as 5th for depth, or best case get rid of him and have Azeez as 5th.

blrgooner

Established Member

Well again, as Elneny got over 1500 minutes last season. If Lokonga replaces Elneny, he is likely to get atleast 1000+ minutes this season which is good enough for a youngster playing his first season in EPL. So it makes sense for us to get two midfielders to replace Elneny and Ceballos. Nothing reactionary about it IMO.
For me, we wouldn`t have improved on the CM positions(which were the weakest area last season IMO) if we had only replaced Xhaka because all the players we were linked with were similar ability wise. Willock will anyway be more of a 4 3 3 midfielder anyway so his competetion is with a new AM rather than CM.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

If they're not gonna buy another CM, then surely they have to give Willock chances, but he would suit 4-3-3 better.

I would love to get Elneny replaced as soon as possible, and get a starting quality player ahead of Xhaka.
💯

But maybe the club doesn't want to do that when we have Azeez and Patino coming up. We check Willock's current level and fit for tactics, Elneny gone next summer and Azeez taking his place.
This could very much be the case, but while it’s probably good for the long term it’s not good enough for this season imo.

Add that with Azeez and Patino it’s realistically another 3+ years until they’re really ready to be starters and then we’d be moving people on anyways so don’t really see how a new signing blocks them

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Well again, as Elneny got over 1500 minutes last season. If Lokonga replaces Elneny, he is likely to get atleast 1000+ minutes this season which is good enough for a youngster playing his first season in EPL. So it makes sense for us to get two midfielders to replace Elneny and Ceballos. Nothing reactionary about it IMO.
For me, we wouldn`t have improved on the CM positions(which were the weakest area last season IMO) if we had only replaced Xhaka because all the players we were linked with were similar ability wise. Willock will anyway be more of a 4 3 3 midfielder anyway so his competetion is with a new AM rather than CM.

You're forgetting we don't have any European football this season. How do you expect Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Willock, Elneny to get enough minutes between them if a new starting CM is signed? It makes 0 sense.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

You're forgetting we don't have any European football this season. How do you expect Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Willock, Elneny to get enough minutes between them if a new starting CM is signed? It makes 0 sense.
Agree it doesn’t, but are you fine with 2 of Lokonga, Willock, Elneny starting any game for us? A knock or red card for Xhaka and that’s what’s happening.

blrgooner

Established Member
I am not saying Elneny should get minutes at all. I am saying we should replace Elneny.
Elneny got 1500+ minutes only in EPL last season. What I am saying is Lokonga should be Elneny replacement.
We should bring in another midfielder so that we have 4 players for 2 positions.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Is it really reactionary though? Midfield was the main thing we needed to address going into the window. Lokonga has looked sharp but ideally we would’ve gotten a new starting mid to at least compete with Xhaka imo as the main priority and then another to replace Xhaka would he move. For me Lokonga as 3rd choice is a bit thin and I was expecting someone more ready made.

Partey, New CM, Xhaka, Lokonga is what I feel we need for the double pivot.
I agree on Willock though if he stays, that’d be a bit weird with a new signing. Elneny as 5th for depth, or best case get rid of him and have Azeez as 5th.
I think we've both said this before, but Sabitzer is the obvious addition. Covers both ESR and Xhaka/Partey. Maybe doesn't take us up a level in attack though, but would work well with someone like Martinez coming in.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade

Ah yes it’s reactionary to want a new midfielder when it’s clearly the weakest position in the squad & the only good one we have got injured, will also leave for AFCON.

Btw weren’t you shouting for months that we'll spend 250m. How's that going so far?

• Funny
Reactions: Kav

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I think we've both said this before, but Sabitzer is the obvious addition. Covers both ESR and Xhaka/Partey. Maybe doesn't take us up a level in attack though, but would work well with someone like Martinez coming in.
Yeah, he’s the obvious one for me. Would bring him in to primarily compete for a spot in the pivot but he can cover ESR as well. I’d actually want him even if we got one of Ødegaard or Maddison. He’s versatile enough (imo) to complement either Xhaka or Partey. Him, Xhaka and Lokonga would be good enough cover for AFCON as well.

I just don’t get why we’re not in for him

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

tumbleweed GIF

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Ah yes it’s reactionary to want a new midfielder when it’s clearly the weakest position in the squad & the only good one we have got injured, will also leave for AFCON.

Btw weren’t you shouting for months that we'll spend 250m. How's that going so far?

Xhaka, Partey and Lokonga will all share the 2 spots over the season.

We haven't shifted xhaka. You wouldn't be screaming for another CM signing if we sold Xhaka and signed a replacement so why you flapping now? This fan base is full of absolute penguins just flapping left right and centre.

Goonger

I think what everyone is fearing in midfield this season is Elneny getting significant minutes. Lokonga on his limited showings look good. I think if people were confident that Lokonga & even Willock would play ahead of Elneny, then they would be a bit more content to not sign anyone else.

However, it's the expectation that Arteta is going to choose Elneny ahead of these 2 that is most worrying for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom