• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Lautaro would improve us so much more than Maddison. Actually, Maddison does not really improve our first team, even if maybe now he was, ESR with a way higher ceiling and on the edge to get top 3-4 player on his position in the PL has this covered soon enough.

We should've done the Lauturo thing as fast and determined as Chelsea are now with Lukaku.
We haggled and gonna miss a good opportunity.

The more I've thought about it, since Flo and Nelli wont get the trust we expect, the improvement by getting a new big striker in is absolutely massive.
Would create so much more chances whilst we hardly create any with Auba and Laca.

ESR has improved our horrible creativity in the final third massively as of late. Pepe has improved immensely too.
The biggest leap is the lack in creativity from our number 9, since there's pretty much none.

Ideally would have an Aouar from midfield to add to it as well..

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Looks like a slow transfer day for us after the Lautaro set back and Leicester rejection

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Lautaro would improve us so much more than Maddison. Actually, Maddison does not really improve our first team, even if maybe now he was, ESR with a way higher ceiling and on the edge to get top 3-4 player on his position in the PL has this covered soon enough.

We should've done the Lauturo thing as fast and determined as Chelsea are now with Lukaku.
We haggled and gonna miss a good opportunity.

The more I've thought about it, since Flo and Nelli wont get the trust we expect, the improvement by getting a new big striker in is absolutely massive.
Would create so much more chances whilst we hardly create any with Auba and Laca.

ESR has improved our horrible creativity in the final third massively as of late. Pepe has improved immensely too.
The biggest leap is the lack in creativity from our number 9, since there's pretty much none.

Ideally would have an Aouar from midfield to add to it as well..

I really don't get how Arsenal fans can say this about ESR after 6 months worth of Premier league game time. Yes he can be great but no he's nowhere near Maddison right now.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The notion of ESR being better than Maddison is WILD!!!

I love the kid, think he's our best young player, but he can not talk to Maddison at the moment. He can't even talk to Ødegaard, who I think Maddison is a better signing than.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No one said ESR is better. That's just strawmanning from you guys tbh.

@SingmeasongSong only said ESR has a higher ceiling than maddison, wish I agree with.

Maddison was not as good as ESR at 20.

I'm not particularly thrilled with the notion of signing Maddison tbh for that price. Inability to stay fit plus his stats doesn't scream 70m for me.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
The notion of ESR being better than Maddison is WILD!!!

I love the kid, think he's our best young player, but he can not talk to Maddison at the moment. He can't even talk to Ødegaard, who I think Maddison is a better signing than.
I think ESR will end up on Maddison's level or quite possibly better even though he is a different style of player. Same for Buendia as well who has far better numbers than Mads in the Championship at the same age.

ESR is 3 years younger though and right now though - next season - a fit and firing Maddison would definitely improve us as well as providing depth to the squad. Maddison is really strong at winning fouls in dangerous areas, he scores goals and is dynamic at stretching play. As I've said elsewhere, I think Ødegaard (or Buendia...) are the better options for the fees quoted, but would still be excited by Maddison.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

@SingmeasongSong only said ESR has a higher ceiling than maddison, wish I agree with.

I'm not particularly thrilled with the notion of signing Maddison tbh for that price. Inability to stay fit plus his stats doesn't scream 70m for me.

And he'll play just because, like Auba and Willian did and will. The price tag and age will suffice.

truth_hurts

If you were to create a list of the top attacking midfielders over the past 3 seasons, Maddison features. ESR, Buendia and Ødegaard do not get a mention. Maddisom is streets ahead of all based on what he has done.

Could ESR be as good or better? Absolutely, but we need absolutes not maybes. Some were touting Nelson to be as good as Sancho based on 9 games in the Bundesliga!

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
If you were to create a list of the top attacking midfielders over the past 3 seasons, Maddison features. ESR, Buendia and Ødegaard do not get a mention. Maddisom is streets ahead of all based on what he has done.

Could ESR be as good or better? Absolutely, but we need absolutes not maybes. Some were touting Nelson to be as good as Sancho based on 9 games in the Bundesliga!

Why the feck would you compare ESR with Maddison over a 3 season benchmark? Thats just stupid.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

yeah as an arsenal fan I know first thing of ceiling and how it doesnt work out. Maddison is similar player to esr, but better and more refined as he is more experienced. I dont see what attributes esr has that makes him better in the future. I also know players dont improve on year in year out. We had many players who didnt become better players after 20 including ox, gibbs, bendtner etc etc

truth_hurts

Why the feck would you compare ESR with Maddison over a 3 season benchmark? Thats just stupid.

Exactly you can't. ESR is a nobody in Premier League terms. Falls in the talented youngster bag. He us less proven than Harvey Barnes.

I believe in ESR, but he is unproven.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Tbf he was playing in a 2 with Lukaku, probably reducing his numbers.

He was the main cf in Argentina's Copa America win and was great up top on his own
Willing to accept that I'm wrong on this, but its not like he has huge assist numbers either to go along with the theory that he is supplying all the bullets to Lukaku. I think he looks like a good player and I would be very happy with the signing, but £60m is a very punchy fee and there is definitely a risk of a flop.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

If you scroll up he actually did say ESR is better.

Eve so this is ridiculous. At 20 Maddison scored 14 and assisted 8 for Norwich in the championship before getting a big move to Leicester and making an instant impact in the premier league.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
If we had bought a bigger name to put in front of Saka when he was just getting started to pull out trees here, we could've probably lost him and/or never have seen him get to a point where he's currently the brightest kid in the league.

ESR has had a similar rise up till now, has out performed almost all on his position in the league over half a season, which isnt even such a small sample for a kid at a big club under pressure.

He's got number 10 and a longterm contract, but now you want to put Maddison in front ? Why ?
If you trust ESRs talents, you provide backup, but not massive signing with question marks that, if ESR takes the Saka route further, is soon bigger than Maddison just like Saka is already.

If you dont, and suddenly give ESR 1/3 of games in a European-less season, he's probably going to lose his spark a bit.

I would not get Pepe out for Maddison either, since he's been our best player for the past 15-20 games where Saka dropped off and even did so whilst getting dropped after MOTM performances.

The position I accept a big name signing to put in, is CF now (not AM, if it isnt Grealish quality, which Maddison is miles away from). Martinez replaces two underperforming Strikers asap with huge improvement whilst not yet blocking a youngster yet, because they hardly get a chance.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If we had bought a bigger name to put in front of Saka when he was just getting started to pull out trees here, we could've probably lost him and/or never have seen him get to a point where he's currently the brightest kid in the league.

ESR has had a similar rise up till now, has out performed almost all on his position in the league over half a season, which isnt even such a small sample for a kid at a big club under pressure.

He's got number 10 and a longterm contract, but now you want to put Maddison in front ? Why ?
If you trust ESRs talents, you provide backup, but not massive signing with question marks that, if ESR takes the Saka route further, is soon bigger than Maddison just like Saka is already.

If you dont, and suddenly give ESR 1/3 of games in a European-less season, he's probably going to lose his spark a bit.

I would not get Pepe out for Maddison either, since he's been our best player for the past 15-20 games where Saka dropped off and even did so whilst getting dropped after MOTM performances.

The position I accept a big name signing to put in, is CF now (if it isnt Grealish quality, which Maddison is miles away from). Martinez replaces to underperforming Strikers asap with huge improvement whilst not yet blocking a youngster yet, because they hardly get a chance.

What you're essentially saying here is Saka - ESR - Pepe is good enough to challenge for top 4. Saka and ESR would have to severely up their output if that were to come true and Pepe would have to stay consistent.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
If you scroll up he actually did say ESR is better.

Eve so this is ridiculous. At 20 Maddison scored 14 and assisted 8 for Norwich in the championship before getting a big move to Leicester and making an instant impact in the premier league.

Yeah, I did. From the sample of half a season he's outperformed Maddison and many many others actually.

Of course he might drop off again, but you cannot get both, big talents improving and growing whilst playing big signings instead, especially when the youngsters currently peforms better.

The youngsters approach takes up some risk, that's how it goes. Currently everything suggests ESR is our best option based on the past half season and we wont know, if it stays like this without trying.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
What you're essentially saying here is Saka - ESR - Pepe is good enough to challenge for top 4. Saka and ESR would have to severely up their output if that were to come true and Pepe would have to stay consistent.

I am saying, if it isnt a massive AM signing, which Maddison is not, I want a massive RB, CM signing and instead of an AM a big name striker, because with ESR in form a striker improves us waayyy more because ours are ****.

You get creativity a lot from a striker position as well and if we had a good one in all regards, our wingers would each score and assist 5-10 each more as well.

A creative big CM was more important with inform ESR anyhow.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah, I did. From the sample of half a season he's outperformed Maddison and many many others actually.

Of course he might drop off again, but you cannot get both, big talents improving and growing whilst playing big signings instead, especially when the youngster currently peform better.

The youngsters approach takes up some risk, that's how it goes. Currently everything suggests ESR is our best option based on the past half season and we wont know, if it stay like this without trying.

Look at how a big club operates. Manchester City, they have Foden who is a bigger talent than ESR. He's already a better player as well. Yet they eased him in and are signing Grealish. They also have talent surrounding him, not only for squad depth due to multiple competitions but so Foden can learn off the best players in the world.

Some Arsenal fans are more obsessed with the youngsters than actually winning things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom