• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
What you're essentially saying here is Saka - ESR - Pepe is good enough to challenge for top 4. Saka and ESR would have to severely up their output if that were to come true and Pepe would have to stay consistent.

I am saying, if it isnt a massive AM signing, which Maddison is not, I want a massive RB, CM signing and instead of an AM a big name striker, because with ESR in form a striker improves us waayyy more because ours are ****.

You get creativity a lot from a striker position as well and if we had a good one in all regards, our wingers would each score and assist 5-10 more as well.

A creative big CM was more important with an inform ESR anyhow, not before.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Look at how a big club operates. Manchester City, they have Foden who is a bigger talent than ESR. He's already a better player as well. Yet they eased him in and are signing Grealish. They also have talent surrounding him, not only for squad depth due to multiple competitions but so Foden can learn off the best players in the world.

Some Arsenal fans are more obsessed with the youngsters than actually winning things.

City would probably buy 3-4 50m fullbacks and CMs whilst splashing out on a striker before signing another AM in our situation. Pretty much a given.

Simply because you gotta spend big first where it improves you the most and we dont even have City's unlimited money.

And again, if there was a massive massive AM player for 70m, maybe. Maddison just doesnt showcase that in his career.
Anyhow, the other positions would still be a priority.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I am saying, if it isnt a massive AM signing, which Maddison is not, I want a massive RB, CM signing and instead of an AM a big name striker, because with ESR in form a striker improves us waayyy more because ours are ****.

You get creativity a lot from a striker position as well and if we had a good one in all regards, our wingers would each score and assist 5-10 more as well.

You might want that, but we aren't getting that unless sales are made in those positions first. At AM we have ONE player. So its logical, just like we did when we signed Ødegaard, to sign a player there to rotate with ESR. What if he gets injured? What if his form drops off over the season? You cannot be relying on Saka and ESR to save our season again, that is small club mentaility vibes.

boxerumble

Baked Canadian

What happened to Mikels mighty influence at City? Couldn’t we blow our transfer kitty load on guys like Bernardo Silva?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

esr is 20 year old kid with limited experience. We havent been in cl for god know how many years now and finished 8th 2 years in row. I know people like to say well the table from jan to may we were top 4 and all the days it was above 18 degrees we were 2nd etc etc. But e finished 8th and way of top 4. We absolutely need an attacking midfielder outside of esr. And that player and esr can push each other. When you look at how injury prone esr has been its even crazier to suggest he would be enough. It seems some people just love to have excuse and say well if esr didnt get injured we would do this and that. Man City is signing grealish for 100 million.....at worst he will be squad player there, but guess what whoever starts if that player is not there and grealish comesin their standards dont drop one bit. You could have esr out for 3 months and willian playing ffs

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

What happened to Mikels mighty influence at City? Couldn’t we blow our transfer kitty load on guys like Bernardo Silva?
lovely player, but there are some rumours about him that I think makes club wary....lets just say he likes a drink little bit too much

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
It worries me that a 23 year old Martinez scores around 14-15 goals a season for a dominant Inter side. Doesn't feel like a £60m striker even though he is underperforming his XG. However, he does have a classy all round game and it would improve the team so long as we have goals coming from elsewhere (means Saka or ESR stepping up, possibly Maddison coming in)

Vlahovic has slightly more impressive numbers but looks a bit agricultural at the moment. He is very young for a big man though and could develop into an amazing player. One season in Serie A is a gamble to make him your star signing though. If he is supporting Auba for a few years while he develops then it makes sense I guess.
Yeah, I do see worries in that too. Underperforming your xG isn't necesarily an indicator that the player will turn it around eventually. Similarly a striker overperforming xG could also be doing that consistently. So it's definitely something to take not of. He is certainly a well-rounded player, and I am not against a signing of him, but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need.

He's also very young, so that's natural. He's not an Mbappe or Haaland, but he is very well off for his age, and I don't think he's far from a level where leading the line for Arsenal would be a sound decision. It's his second full season in Serie A (third season playing, but extremely limited in the first) and the growth between the two seasons has been massive. He's a big striker, with so much to his game. I think we're missing a chance to get something unique if we don't go for him, but doesn't seem like we are. He could definitely be brought in, and then allowed the first season to just settle, and then hit the turbo in second season.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah, I did. From the sample of half a season he's outperformed Maddison and many many others actually.

Of course he might drop off again, but you cannot get both, big talents improving and growing whilst playing big signings instead, especially when the youngster currently peform better.

The youngsters approach takes up some risk, that's how it goes. Currently everything suggests ESR is our best option based on the past half season and we wont know, if it stay like this without trying.
I respect this view. Don't necessarily agree with you but can see the logic of making ESR the main man in the middle.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
You might want that, but we aren't getting that unless sales are made in those positions first. At AM we have ONE player. So its logical, just like we did when we signed Ødegaard, to sign a player there to rotate with ESR. What if he gets injured? What if his form drops off over the season? You cannot be relying on Saka and ESR to save our season again, that is small club mentaility vibes.

Small club mentality is to not just take the hit and give Bellerin, Mari, Elneny and Laca away cheaply to free up space and get massive players in there first.
That is what your "big club mentality" do and never ever have those continue past this window.

You dont have to spend 70m on Maddison when you can get a very very strong backup for ESR to compete on top of the priorities.

The biggest issues in our squad are for all to see, we just wont take the financial hit, but rather keep Bellerin, Elneny and co, which Chelsea wouldnt do.

Barry

Reactionary Arsenal are back if we go for any of City's castoffs.
You wouldn't take Sterling? I'm with you on the cast off thing, but think he's a player you make an exception for. Bergkamp and Pires came to us a bit later and were obviously incredible. Think Sterling would be motivated, not sure why he just seems the type.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You wouldn't take Sterling? I'm with you on the cast off thing, but think he's a player you make an exception for. Bergkamp and Pires came to us a bit later and were obviously incredible. Think Sterling would be motivated, not sure why he just seems the type.

Hmm, would like Sterling but he's on ridiculous wages already and it is such a monumental drop down right now i'm not sure any City players would be willing.

I'd also argue about the motivational factor. Better to sign players from clubs slightly above us (Maddison) with a lot to prove or guys like Lokonga etc who are big talents. Or even guys from abroad from bigger clubs who want to prove themselves in another league.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

They won’t be selling Sterling imo.

It’ll be Mahrez who’s coming to the end of his prime and Bernardo who’s been dire for a few years now.

Paying overinflated prices for either of those two would be tough.

Barry

They won’t be selling Sterling imo.

It’ll be Mahrez who’s coming to the end of his prime and Bernardo who’s been dire for a few years now.

Paying overinflated prices for either of those two would be tough.
Yeah Mahrez is a hard pass and even Bernardo Silva, good as he is I'm not sure about for some reason. Feel he might not perform here.... Sterling would be amazing though if we could make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom