• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Yes my thoughts on giving it an 8 were that if Xhaka went and was replaced with someone better thats a 9 and then if a striker is signed that's a 10/10 window.

I was toying with a 7/10 but £160M is a huge window for us...
We’ve seen many times that money doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t say we would be picking up any bargains there tbh. We are basically paying MV or over MV for players. So it just depends on if they fit what we want.

It’s strange because as it stands we aren’t fixing 2-3 problem areas just because of a congestion of players in that area. All filled with flaming trash.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We’ve seen many times that money doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t say we would be picking up any bargains there tbh. We are basically paying MV or over MV for players. So it just depends on if they fit what we want.

It’s strange because as it stands we aren’t fixing 2-3 problem areas just because of a congestion of players in that area. All filled with flaming trash.

Onana would be bargain of the century really. Think Lokonga was a fantastic deal as well.

But for the main positions we are gonna have to pay over the odds. Just what you have to do to get the quality in. It will get to a point with probably 2 weeks to go and we'll start throwing players out the door to get new one in imo.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The more other clubs do deals the harder it'll be for us to not get angry. I am holding it together.
This club will be the end of you. They promised you the world. You thought you would spend your honeymoon snorkeling in the Maldives or exploring national parks and forests in Zanzibar by day, then retreat to your luxurious resort at night but instead all you got is a weekend in ****ing Skegness were the highlights were a visit to Butlins and Skegness Pier. You were seduced by the sweet whispers of dining at the top table. £250m to spend they said. 7 potential upgrades they said. Definitely a massive overhaul they said. Weeks have gone by and now you are starting to have some doubts. You still believe them cos the charm is still working on you.

Albeit now you had to revise the £250m. You have gone from thinking Xhaka was an error prone, slow as a slug with a turning speed of an oil tanker, an absolute priority to be upgraded on. To now convincing yourself that actually he isn't a problem at all. You have gone from thinking Lokonga was one for the future who shouldn't be expected to play any meaningful games except the odd cup game to now thinking he can cover Partey for months at an end.

For your sake I really hope we get at least an AM, RB, back up GK and possibly a striker too. If not, I shudder to think what state you will be in. For that reason if I ever bump into Edu or Vinai I will punch them in the face. They don't deserve your unflinching loyalty.

tcahill

nothing to do with Athletic propaganda they are predicting what signings we need and who we targeting all know what signings we going to need too as fans but without sales it may block few signings like RB CF for example Bellerin and Laca still here do you want we have 4 RB's and 4 CF's at the club without europe? Arteta and Edu can't do nothing when nobody even putting good money on the players who are available what they can do give them for free? even Willock who is the most attractive assets to sell nobody bothering to give us 20M.

Exactly this. A lot of people on here struggle to understand that this is the core issue.We will be playing mostly 1 game per week with no Europe and have an already bloated squad of 29 players.

We currently have 4 CFs, including two on very high wages. We can't get another until some of those are gone. Nobody is bidding for Laca and Nketiah, who are both very serviceable players.

We have 7 CMs for two positions. We can't fit another. Roma won't even pony up more than 12 mill for Xhaka. Willock is coming off a beast 6 months and Newcastle want him for under 20 mill.

We have three RBs on the books. Nobody is bidding for Bellerin who in usual circumstances would be a sellable asset.

It's easy to just moan at Arteta and Edu - justifiably so in plenty of cases (Willian, Xhaka extension) but in reality for many of these deals their hands are tied. It's frustrating as heck for everyone.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Exactly this. A lot of people on here struggle to understand that this is the core issue.We will be playing mostly 1 game per week with no Europe and have an already bloated squad of 29 players.

We currently have 4 CFs, including two on very high wages. We can't get another until some of those are gone. Nobody is bidding for Laca and Nketiah, who are both very serviceable players.

We have 7 CMs for two positions. We can't fit another. Roma won't even pony up more than 12 mill for Xhaka. Willock is coming off a beast 6 months and Newcastle want him for under 20 mill.

We have three RBs on the books. Nobody is bidding for Bellerin who in usual circumstances would be a sellable asset.

It's easy to just moan at Arteta and Edu - justifiably so in plenty of cases (Willian, Xhaka extension) but in reality for many of these deals their hands are tied. It's frustrating as heck for everyone.
Tbh most people understand it isn't easy to shift players on big wages. So in that sense you can say their hands are tied. It is a problem that proceeded them but instead of learning from that and making sure it doesn't happen again....they go and make it even worse. Take Xhaka for example. He might already be less attractive to other clubs as they might struggle to match his wages, what do we do? We are about to give him a new longterm contract on improved wages. Bellerin is just a shell at the moment, struggling to shift him, what do we do? You can guess probably a new improved contract. Why did we give Cedric such a long contract? No doubt on big wages too. Say next year we decide to shift Xhaka, Bellerin and Cedric, will you say Edu's hands are tied then?

A lot of our current problems are caused or at least exacerbated by them. What was the point of finally getting rid of Özil's massive wages only to replace with Willian's.

There is no clear strategy. We are so reactive. Look at this window, only clear target we had was White and a couple of back up players. Like someone said it earlier most of it is just 'wait and see'. Maddison is completely different player than Ødegaard for example.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Morning thoughts from OnlyOne.

This window has absolutely sucked. Not only are we worse off than last year in terms of our squad, but Chelsea, City, Liverpool, and United have all seriously improved even with only 1 or two signings. These guys are not our rivals anymore if our window stays like this. Then you have Villa who has completely played this market brilliantly, they lost Grealish and replaced him with Buendia a week into the window then made some other decent signings a long the way, but they have also kept their other talented players.

Leicester as well, yet again thinking forward getting in Daka as a Vardy replacement, Soumare who I think will be decent but again they already have a wealth of talent.

Arsenal will finish midtable again, even if somehow we sign Maddison and I honestly believe that.

I think for me, and I said it last season if Arsenal/Arteta want to gain any sort of bridge-building then they need to just f*ck off all the has-beens like Lacazette, Willian, Elneny, Xhaka and just use the youth we have. Martinelli/Balogun need all the minutes these washed-up players are having, Azeez should be starting ahead of Elneny, Lokonga as well.

If we finish 8th, but all these youth players are having breakouts and showing their talent then at least that's something, I don't want to see us finish 8th while none of the youth has developed and guys like Lacazette are showing the same rubbish game in game out.

Kind regards.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lukaku to Chelsea and Grealish to City already has the top 2 spots sown up barring a very unexpected collapse. So we're competing with Utd, Pool, Sh*t, Leicester for 3rd or 4th...

We haven't signed a first team player that would improve us noticeably.

Our best midfielder is already injured before the season starts but we'll wait and see how he is.

Our plan for central midfield was to wait and see and now it is to extend Xhaka's contract by 4 years and play a recently signed player from the Belgian league when Partey is unavailable - after that its Elneny starting.

Our plan for attacking midfield is wait and see and hope someone wants to sell to us for below what they value their player.

Our plan for right back is wait and see ???!!!.

Our plan to improve our forward line was to wait and see until we couldnt sign our target?

I know the window isnt over but I dont think all this waiting and seeing is achieving much. Pity the other clubs arent waiting and seeing.

I guess this window is very very hard on Edu and Arteta and getting deals done is super super difficult and everyone should just wait and see.

Theres some sort of pattern here I'm just not seeing, its almost as if the lack of any noticeable change is being justified by it might happen somehow when *gestures vaguely with hand
I dont know what is more upsetting. That you are taking the piss or that you are correct.

Odrgaard was our number 1 target. Well reported. However, for some reason we had to wait on him to decide. He needed to speak to the manager, do a bit of pre season and any deal involved would benefit Real Madrid. A loan with no option or we buy him and they insert a buy back. A pointless pursuit.

We then had Buendia. As it would appear. Our 3rd target for am? If Ødegaard is first, Maddison second and Buendia third. We basically thought nobody would go for him till we knew what happened with Ødegaard and maddison. We got caught cold. Lost out on him.

It seems like everyone we have 'scouted' seems to be through contacts. Lokonga through Kompany and then Henry. Tavares was discussed during another deal with Benfica?

So then we come to goalkeeper. Obama looked like a valid plan. Then we dropped that for Ramsdale, which doesn't seem to be moving.

At CB we wanted White and got him. Probably the only transfer we planned for and even then, our incremental increases delayed it by about a month.

RB has seen no strong links. Then we have the big one. CM. We have Lokonga who was brought in as Parteys back up. Partey is injured, but Lokonga still wont play. It will be Elneny. So it looks like our number one target was based off the euros. Locatelli, a player who wants to go to Juventus and nobody else. Other than that. Neves? What is the plan exactly? Bruno G? Even if we buy him, will he displace Xhaka? Has Xhaka extended to be benched. Doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

CF is even funnier. Abraham and Martinez. Two completely different players. What kind of planning is that? Buying Abraham so Chelsea can buy Lukaku. Sleeping while Chelsea put in bids while we leak to the media that we are interested in Martinez. What is that?

We roll into the new season with 1 first team addition in White. That's it. The same forwards who are underperforming and a year older. A CB playing rb. Possibly Xhaka and Elneny in midfield. No Partey, Gabriel, Martinelli or Saka. Leno looking like he doesn't care with no back up.

What is the excuse now? Arteta not having his squad? He is a manager who doesn't get the most from the sum of its parts. A back 3 squad which will play 4231 and one creative player. We are currently destined for 8th and a horrible start.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I dont know what is more upsetting. That you are taking the piss or that you are correct.

Odrgaard was our number 1 target. Well reported. However, for some reason we had to wait on him to decide. He needed to speak to the manager, do a bit of pre season and any deal involved would benefit Real Madrid. A loan with no option or we buy him and they insert a buy back. A pointless pursuit.

We then had Buendia. As it would appear. Our 3rd target for am? If Ødegaard is first, Maddison second and Buendia third. We basically thought nobody would go for him till we knew what happened with Ødegaard and maddison. We got caught cold. Lost out on him.

It seems like everyone we have 'scouted' seems to be through contacts. Lokonga through Kompany and then Henry. Tavares was discussed during another deal with Benfica?

So then we come to goalkeeper. Obama looked like a valid plan. Then we dropped that for Ramsdale, which doesn't seem to be moving.

At CB we wanted White and got him. Probably the only transfer we planned for and even then, our incremental increases delayed it by about a month.

RB has seen no strong links. Then we have the big one. CM. We have Lokonga who was brought in as Parteys back up. Partey is injured, but Lokonga still wont play. It will be Elneny. So it looks like our number one target was based off the euros. Locatelli, a player who wants to go to Juventus and nobody else. Other than that. Neves? What is the plan exactly? Bruno G? Even if we buy him, will he displace Xhaka? Has Xhaka extended to be benched. Doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

CF is even funnier. Abraham and Martinez. Two completely different players. What kind of planning is that? Buying Abraham so Chelsea can buy Lukaku. Sleeping while Chelsea put in bids while we leak to the media that we are interested in Martinez. What is that?

We roll into the new season with 1 first team addition in White. That's it. The same forwards who are underperforming and a year older. A CB playing rb. Possibly Xhaka and Elneny in midfield. No Partey, Gabriel, Martinelli or Saka. Leno looking like he doesn't care with no back up.

What is the excuse now? Arteta not having his squad? He is a manager who doesn't get the most from the sum of its parts. A back 3 squad which will play 4231 and one creative player. We are currently destined for 8th and a horrible start.

Obama to The Arsenal?!

Barack Obama Reaction GIF

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In terms of ins say our window finishes in this manor -

Tavares - £8M
Lokonga - £15M
White - £50M
Maddison - £60M
Aarons - £25M
Onana - £5M

Would people be happy? Swap Aarons out for another right back if need be. Just the first name that really springs to mind. I'd probably say the above is a 8/10 window.
Those last 3 aren't happening. We have 4 right backs. Norwich wont be easy to deal with late in the window when they need to get a replacement.

Onana we could have got already. Cant play till November anyway. Where would we be by then.

Leicester are playing us. What are we doing offering a player they dont even want to lower the fee?

The longer you leave it, the more they need a replacement.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think its too late to get in meaningful players now, as clubs are preparing for their upcoming seasonal targets.

This window has been a waste, lets be honest. A lot of it has to do with Edu and Arteta not having the ability to manage our squad (and yes some of it is legacy related), but also a lot of it has to do with non-existent leech ownership, especially in light of the moves Chelsea and City are making.

We have enough for mid table, probably 8th or so with our lighter schedule, but the writing is on the wall for Arteta now Im afraid. His inexperience will see him get the boot come mid-season or so in my estimation.

Going forward though, my best guess (or should I say best hope) is that potential new ownership out there is waiting for the club's value to drop even more, before coming in with a takeover bid, followed by a proper cleanout. I just cant see the Kroenke's maintaining their interest if their return on investment is no longer lucrative enough.

Last edited:

tcahill

Tbh most people understand it isn't easy to shift players on big wages. So in that sense you can say their hands are tied. It is a problem that proceeded them but instead of learning from that and making sure it doesn't happen again....they go and make it even worse. Take Xhaka for example. He might already be less attractive to other clubs as they might struggle to match his wages, what do we do? We are about to give him a new longterm contract on improved wages. Bellerin is just a shell at the moment, struggling to shift him, what do we do? You can guess probably a new improved contract. Why did we give Cedric such a long contract? No doubt on big wages too. Say next year we decide to shift Xhaka, Bellerin and Cedric, will you say Edu's hands are tied then?

A lot of our current problems are caused or at least exacerbated by them. What was the point of finally getting rid of Özil's massive wages only to replace with Willian's.

There is no clear strategy. We are so reactive. Look at this window, only clear target we had was White and a couple of back up players. Like someone said it earlier most of it is just 'wait and see'. Maddison is completely different player than Ødegaard for example.

Plenty on here are moaning that we aren't signing more players.

Completely agree about Xhaka and Willian.

I disagree though that there isn't a clear strategy. We're generally targeting players under 24ish that good in possession and fit a 4-2-3-1, with backups that can actually challenge for a starting spot rather than 30+ year olds.

ragnarock

Plenty on here are moaning that we aren't signing more players.

Completely agree about Xhaka and Willian.

I disagree though that there isn't a clear strategy. We're generally targeting players under 24ish that good in possession and fit a 4-2-3-1, with backups that can actually challenge for a starting spot rather than 30+ year olds.

That’s not a strategy that’s a search filter

ArsenalInMyHeart

This is your brain on ITK addiction
I have a feeling, Arsenal will get Aouar in the end of transfer window like the way we got Partey in the last year. We spent a lot of time for Maddison and Ødegaard.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I mean. Realistically, haven't we spent our usual transfer amount so far?

Dropping an extra 120 million on Maddison and Martinez is something serious clubs do. All the PR aside. We know deep down we will never be serious under this ownership.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I have a feeling, Arsenal will get Aouar in the end of transfer window like the way we got Partey in the last year. We spent a lot of time for Maddison and Ødegaard.

He is a good player, who can fill the 8 and 10 role. Also, if he doesnt work out, we can recoup half of his fee in 2/3 seasons time... as he would still be relatively young.

The concern for me is phasing Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno out of the team in the coming year or so. Had we made decent signings to either replace or rotate with them, like a Bissouma, Guimaraes, Sabitzer, Baku, Onana... then I would have had some hope for the new, experienced, quality, manager, who would have something decent to work with.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

It's a shame Arteta hates Saliba's guts, he'd be great for that central CB in a back 3. White RCB, Saliba CCB, then either Gabriel or Tierney LCB, Saka LWB, AMN RWB, Willock would work in a 3-4-3 too. As you say, it's a back 3 squad.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In terms of ins say our window finishes in this manor -

Tavares - £8M
Lokonga - £15M
White - £50M
Maddison - £60M
Aarons - £25M
Onana - £5M

Would people be happy? Swap Aarons out for another right back if need be. Just the first name that really springs to mind. I'd probably say the above is a 8/10 window.
Honestly, at this point I'd call it an 8/10 window. I prefer a more low-key signing at CAM though in Perreira or Aouar or even Ødegaard at €45m. I like Maddison but he's overpriced and I'd initially want to stick with ESR as a starter, but signing Maddison would cause us to shoehorn our talents into the squad or bench them.

Still gutted we didn't go for Buendia or De Paul at €35m. Our new CAM would've had a full pre-season under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom