• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edwin van der Sar

malagar

over the years yes. He was quality some years ago. But now he is a sorry shadow of himself whom even fulhamdoesnt want anymore

Arjan

Fulham probably don't want him anymore because of his wages, he is earning over 60K a week!

That was the reason Van der Sar joined Fulham.

He still is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. And he has won about every big prize in modern club football.

koivu

Van der Sar is class. My favourite keeper of all time. I'm not saying that he'll be able to give us more than a couple of years but I would love to finally see him as a gunner. So many of the Dutch players rate him as the best they've seen. I would much rather we get him than ManUre, that's for sure.

If we don't get him, i won't be heartbroken as I think we're okay in that department.

One more note...despite his blunder that gave Reyes one of the easier goals of his career, he is good with his feet.

Sammer

Established Member
ManU is never going to go for Van der Saar. They will either buy a big name like Toldo, or a young promising keeper like Hildebrandt (likely in my view. He has played against ManU in the CL last year and impressed Fergie supposedly).

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
In my opinion Lehmann and van der Sar are pretty equal in terms of agility. We need a goalkeeper for the future, not another short term solution.

Sammer

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
In my opinion Lehmann and van der Sar are pretty equal in terms of agility. We need a goalkeeper for the future, not another short term solution.

Spot on GoonerGurjit,

Lehmann and Van der Saar are very similar in terms of their goalkeeping, even their style looks very simliar.

skart14

Sammer said:
GoonerGurjit said:

Spot on GoonerGurjit,

Lehmann and Van der Saar are very similar in terms of their goalkeeping, even their style looks very simliar.

Heh...even some of their **** ups are the same....

asajoseph

Established Member
NO, Stuart taylor is not good enough to be the first team player. Buffon is the best solution in goalkeeper.

Are you seriously suggesting that we sign Buffon? Lol... Nah, can't be...

Actually, I want Almunia to get a go. I think he had an impressive record in Spain last year, so I'd like to see what he is capable of...

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I would actually prefer Toldo to van der Sar. I think the goalkeeper Ferguson has at the top of his wish-list is Middlesboro's Schwarzer.

omdtm

He's not a long term option...

But still a lot better than Lehmann...

Lehmann cost us Champions League last season, in both legs against that Blue British(Russian?) Club(???)...

I don't trust him... Here in Brazil we say "A great team starts with a great goalkeeper" and sadly this is the part we lack most.

kevin_kyle

Van der Sar is class. My favourite keeper of all time.
Me too. He has som uch experience in the big time, its just that he is so old.
At Ajax he was like an 11th player on the field, not just a keeper in the box.
he was a mian reason why they did so well in the early to mid 90's

omdtm

That´s true... Until he moved to Juve, I was his fan... Since he moved to Italy, he never been as consistent as he was while wearing the Ajax outfit...

seanconvey66

hes consistent at fulham. As for not being the Long term option, why buy someone who doesnt cut it but might in a few years because they have potential, didnt we do that with Richard Wright??????

omdtm

seanconvey66 said:
hes consistent at fulham. As for not being the Long term option, why buy someone who doesnt cut it but might in a few years because they have potential, didnt we do that with Richard Wright??????

I don't agree with you... He may not be doing bad but he's not as consistent as he was at ajax...

It can be almost impossible to score against him on his best day, but sometime it will look like every shot could go in...

seanconvey66

Hes class, you need to remember hes playing in a very shakey defence at Fulham, at Arsenal hed be called into action less (in theory). If he was back at a top club again, every1 would see how good he is.

kevin_kyle

Yeah he is very good....
He can even look good in Fulham's crummy defence.
When Juve bought him, they just wanted him to make saves, they weren't interested in his ability to aid the defence in a higher capacity.
Juve then of course bought Buffon from Parma for a world record fee for a goalkeeper...does that record still stand?
He has been good for Fulham, i'm sure he inspires that squad somewhat...
He has done it all

Top Bottom