<

EFL Cup: Liverpool vs Arsenal | Thursday 1st October 19:45 | Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by Rex Banter, Sep 28, 2020.

?

What will the result be?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2020.
  1. Liverpool win

34.0%
  2. Liverpool win on penalties

4.0%
  3. Arsenal win

42.0%
  4. Arsenal win on penalties

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Doesn't matter who they play in defence. You have to beat the press. Our midfield two can't do that.

2. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

Missed the game due to work and the highlights I have been able to get hold of so far don't show much besides that Leno had some really good saves and won us the pen shootout. We are turning into a proper 80s German national team. Play just good enough to stay in the game and win on pens. Ich liebe es! :drool:

All jokes aside. Coming away with a 0-0 after 90 min. away to Liverpool isn't bad. We are becoming quite sturdy under Arteta and I like it. Our squad needs strengthening but I am not going to diss a single player after this. Well done to the lads and to Michel. Bring on the next team :popcorn:

3. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

4. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

What press? Their team was average, it wasn't doing anything special, particularly in the first half. The right side of their defence was there for the taking and we didn't take it. Pepe, a senior pro, had a free run at a kid and didn't leave a scratch on him. Then we just retreated into a shell.

5. kofigunner

kofigunner Well-Known Member Trusted

It wasn’t the greatest game, but look at it this way. We’re lacking a real creator in this team. Auba sometimes creates stuff too, and he was rested, fortunately so was Sadio Mane. It was a pragmatic game plan against one of the best teams in Europe, if not the world. Arteta’s strategy seems to be, stop leaking goals and then figure out the attack. Work in progress, and the progress is visible in that area.

asukru and Manberg like this.
  6. rich 1990

rich 1990 Not A Big Believer In Diversity

Who said that quote?

7. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

You didn't watch the game properly if you "What press?"
    It wasn't just their right side of defence. Their whole back line could've been got at because they were so high up, but our midfielders didn't have the balls to play the pass. So Pepe Saka Nketiah were reduced to chasing long punted balls into the channels all game long.

8. Riou

Riou A-M's Resident Jobber

...some XG nerd.

9. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Yeah agreed. We are in big trouble if that midfield is not improved.

dashsnow17 likes this.
  10. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

Meh maybe i'm being harsh, but that wasn't THE Liverpool, on Monday sure I totally understand, but tonight was a fallible Liverpool and we still didn't really do anything. And I know there's no amazing creator, but i'm sure lots of other teams don't have creators but find ways to get shots at the goal.

Anyway the game on Sunday will be a good test. At home against Sheffield Utd, hopefully it'll be less pragmatic and more entertaining.

11. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

Mane has been carrying liverpool along with the referees.

12. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

one more reason to play the kids and not the tired old combo of willian-auba-laca.

13. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Its expected goals no need genius to figure it out Liverpool had 16 shot 7 on target meanwhile we had 6 shots 2 on target.

Riou likes this.
  14. Riou

Riou A-M's Resident Jobber

Does XG take into account chances like when Eddie and Saka were one on one with Adrian, but poor touches cost them a chance to get shots away?

15. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

No i don't think so it only count if it's converted to shot or thier shot got blocked

16. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

what a lovely night ...nicely topped off by AMN and Willock giving all arsenal fans heart attacks.

17. m-due

m-due Well-Known Member

Liverpool fans’ current excuse; a week off before Christmas. They are livid. :D

18. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Told you guys a while back, Saliba is years away from doing anything unless he’s Rio Ferdinand or John Terry, which he probably isn’t.

Nothing against him, just the nature of the beast.

19. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Liverpool signed Joe Gomez when he was the best young thing in English football at 17-18, he’s 23 now and still not a top CB, on his way there though.

20. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Many Men Wish Death Upon Me

Its impressive that Arteta is at least having us having a chances against Liverpool when they have obviously bough referees for these games.

kash2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.