• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emery's Loan Targets With An Obligation to Buy But We Want An Option to Buy Hopefully: January 2019

What two players would you prefer we got with the loan/buy shenanigans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Seems to me as though our first priority is to offload the high earners and free up the wage budget, cover that with loan signings until the end of the season and then with our new found freedom in the wage budget we go into the market for our main targets/more long term solutions in the summer window.

If you think about it; assuming we did sale Özil in addition to Ramsey leaving, Welbeck's contract expiring, Ospina potentially sold, Cech retiring, Elneny sold suddenly our wage bill is going to be dramatically reduced and based on this season none of the above are guaranteed starters for us.

Can see us doing some good business in the summer window once all of the above have been dealt with in one way or another.

Hopefully i'm not being too optimistic.

Koscielny too, maybe Monreal and Mkhi, there’s scope to take a lot of money off the wage bill. You could also try selling Mustafi, Chambers, Kolasinac, Xhaka...just empty the place basically.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Seems to me as though our first priority is to offload the high earners and free up the wage budget, cover that with loan signings until the end of the season and then with our new found freedom in the wage budget we go into the market for our main targets/more long term solutions in the summer window.

If you think about it; assuming we did sale Özil in addition to Ramsey leaving, Welbeck's contract expiring, Ospina potentially sold, Cech retiring, Elneny sold suddenly our wage bill is going to be dramatically reduced and based on this season none of the above are guaranteed starters for us.

Can see us doing some good business in the summer window once all of the above have been dealt with in one way or another.

Hopefully i'm not being too optimistic.

Its good to be optimistic, I thought we'd beat West Ham so at least I felt good all morning :)

I agree, Özil wages alone allow for 2 starters wages, that's before Cech, Welbeck, Ramsey, Elneny, Ospina, Jenks and probably Kos wages are taken into account. Its clear our wage structure is a mess, its been a gradual thing during the Wenger reign. Clear out the deadwood in the summer, bring in 2 starters and promote youngsters Smith-Rowe, Nketiah, and bring Nelson back.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I know this is more wishlist stuff but I think we should be after Doucoure since he’s pretty much said he wants out of Watford.

These are the types of signings Liverpool (Van Dijk) make. Regardless of whether it will cost big money to bring him, Doucoure will be a massive upgrade on anything we have.

Yeah I think we really need to start buying in the league and England more. Ferguson did it for years and so did Chelsea here and there with two notable examples being Lampard and Ashley Cole.

Get in players who know the league and went through their teething problems at another club. We did it with Arteta.

I've no problem with Kolasinac being on £119k, its just the nature of Bosmans, Max Meyer is supposedly on £170k. Kolasinac is a minimum £20m player, on a 4 year contract £20m is roughly £40k per week. He is really costing us around £80k which is fair. Of course the problems start when he is due for renewal but we can cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

Free players usually get a signing on bonus so Kolasinac isn't just costing us his wages. I also disagree on your valuation of Kolasinac, no one was going to pay 20M for him.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I’m still astonished at how quiet this window is for us. We lost two players to injury for the season, two players who would feature pretty heavily, and we’re basically just not responding to it at all. The only link I think has any truth to it is the Suarez one, but that’s not exactly responding to the depleted positions.

Not even a shred of a CB. It’s m*dness.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Yeah I think we really need to start buying in the league and England more. Ferguson did it for years and so did Chelsea here and there with two notable examples being Lampard and Ashley Cole.

Get in players who know the league and went through their teething problems at another club. We did it with Arteta.

Free players usually get a signing on bonus so Kolasinac isn't just costing us his wages. I also disagree on your valuation of Kolasinac, no one was going to pay 20M for him.

When we signed him, Kola was on the Bundesliga Team of the year and had a lot of clubs after him. Juventus was one of the clubs keen to sign him, I can understand that he has not performed upto a level to justify those wages but us signing him at the time was considered a good move.

I’m still astonished at how quiet this window is for us. We lost two players to injury for the season, two players who would feature pretty heavily, and we’re basically just not responding to it at all. The only link I think has any truth to it is the Suarez one, but that’s not exactly responding to the depleted positions.

Not even a shred of a CB. It’s m*dness.

Uh yeah. I guess you didn't get the memo which said we have no money to spend?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
When we signed him, Kola was on the Bundesliga Team of the year and had a lot of clubs after him. Juventus was one of the clubs keen to sign him, I can understand that he has not performed upto a level to justify those wages but us signing him at the time was considered a good move.

I stand by my original point. Do you really think Juventus were going to pay 20M+ for a left back with a history of injury problems?

I think us signing him was symbiotic of our scattergun transfer approach. He was in the Bl team of the year and he was free so we brought him in.

Didn't Scotty Parker win PFA player of the year and make the team of the season as well? Why didn't we bring him in back then?

We should be looking to sign players based on their attributes and how well they will fit into the team and style of play, not because they are a "bargain". That is how we've ended up with this hodge podge team we have now with a bunch of players who don't compliment each other.

For example: I would rather we signed Pablo Sanchez from Cruz Azul than Toni Kroos if the former is a better fit for our midfield.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If we go for foreign players I like what we’ve done so far, I rate Torreira more than Doucoure for example and he’s much cheaper.

If we’re going to buy from the PL it should be English or home grown players, even if they flop they still have massive resale value.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I stand by my original point. Do you really think Juventus were going to pay 20M+ for a left back with a history of injury problems?

I think us signing him was symbiotic of our scattergun transfer approach. He was in the Bl team of the year and he was free so we brought him in.

Didn't Scotty Parker win PFA player of the year and make the team of the season as well? Why didn't we bring him in back then?

We should be looking to sign players based on their attributes and how well they will fit into the team and style of play, not because they are a "bargain". That is how we've ended up with this hodge podge team we have now with a bunch of players who don't compliment each other.

For example: I would rather we signed Pablo Sanchez from Cruz Azul than Toni Kroos if the former is a better fit for our midfield.

Actually, Kolasinac missed as many games with his knee injury this year as he had in total since returning from his 2014 cruciate ligament injury. He's actually remained remarkably healthy and shown the ability to play through injuries. And Juventus apparently has just signed an attacking midfielder with a much more troubling injury history and it's costing them a lot more than Kolasinac cost Arsenal.

I completely agree with your point about signing players who fit the team and style of play, but keep in mind that Kolascinac was signed after Wenger shifted the team to a back three. He was signed to be a wingback.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
If we go for foreign players I like what we’ve done so far, I rate Torreira more than Doucoure for example and he’s much cheaper.

If we’re going to buy from the PL it should be English or home grown players, even if they flop they still have massive resale value.

It doesn't have to be an either or scenario for me. I just think we need to dip into the premier league market a lot more than what we have done.

Less for the Chris Sambas and Salomon Kalous and more for the Gary Cahills and Mark Scwzarshers that we should have signed.

Actually, Kolasinac missed as many games with his knee injury this year as he had in total since returning from his 2014 cruciate ligament injury. He's actually remained remarkably healthy and shown the ability to play through injuries. And Juventus apparently has just signed an attacking midfielder with a much more troubling injury history and it's costing them a lot more than Kolasinac cost Arsenal.

I completely agree with your point about signing players who fit the team and style of play, but keep in mind that Kolascinac was signed after Wenger shifted the team to a back three. He was signed to be a wingback.

That is interesting on Kola, didn't know that. To be fair clubs are far more likely to pay more for players in attacking positions. Its why most of the big money signings are for forward players. Juventus could have their pick of Lbs from Serie A so I really can't see them splashing the cash for one unless he's the second coming of Roberto Carlos or Maldini and Kolasinac isn't.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed

Point was made considering he was available on a free transfer and represented good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom