• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Martinez: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
He`s more robust than Leno. A bit taller and Leno is quite skinny and can often be hesitant to come for high balls. Martinez has a big frame and commands his area very well.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Did great at Reading and it is now showing, Its great to have two decent keepers for a change.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He’s been excellent, physically more imposing than Leno. He should keep his place in the team now, but with the end of season near, you feel that will be it for him before Leno gets back in for next season.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He’s been excellent, physically more imposing than Leno. He should keep his place in the team now, but with the end of season near, you feel that will be it for him before Leno gets back in for next season.
You should do less feeling and more logical thinking/analysis.

Arteta and our gk coach should make a fair re-evaluation of their ability at the end of this season.

Could be from match video, match stats, traianing viedo, training stats or even give them multiple tests to see who is better.

Whoever is better, who plays in match.

I think he has show that he offers a lot more than Leno and with the games left he will show more
Next season we might actually have competing GKs instead of starter and back up.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

He's really improved, well done to him. Our new GK coach earning his wage.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Always like him, not sure why he's not been given a consistent run. For me, he's No.1. Yes Leno is a great shot stopper, but in every other department, Martinez is better.

- His distribution is so much better and that is very important.
- The command of his box is better
- He seems more assured
- He catches rather than Punch
- He just has a calming aura around him.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Martinez won’t be here next season. He’ll be attracting good offers after his performances so far and will want to go and be number one at a good club. He’s spent 10 years being backup and will want to finally be first choice somewhere.

We’ll let him go too I think, he deserves it.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His waited years for a shot here, I’d be surprised if he left after putting himself in contention with Leno.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Always like him, not sure why he's not been given a consistent run. For me, he's No.1. Yes Leno is a great shot stopper, but in every other department, Martinez is better.

- His distribution is so much better and that is very important.
- The command of his box is better
- He seems more assured
- He catches rather than Punch
- He just has a calming aura around him.
I'm impressive on how he catches the ball.

Having played as a GK at youth level. I can tell you that the hardest part of being a GK is to:

1) Anticipate the parabolic trajectory of the ball. (At which speed the ball is coming from?
At which angle?), which affect your catching/dealing with crosses ability.

You have to predict at what time, at which height (vertical dimension) and at which coordinate the ball will be landed (horizontal dimension) related to your position .

It's a mixture of natural talent (how well your brain works with distance and dimensions) and a lot of hard work to master the above.

A lot of GK in the youth level are failing to develop this, even after sessions and sessions of trainings. Most of them has good reflex but not good at catching/dealing with crosses. This applies at pro level too, not many GK are capable of this.

Many GK errors are made because they misjudges the motion of the ball (the ball slip through their hands or between their legs). These errors are usually happened because you think the ball will arrive slightly more to the right/a bit higher than it should be, and once you get your hands there, it's slightly off.

So it's a sign of a good GK, if you catches the ball well, as it's implies better at judging parabolic trajectory, which leads to less error.

An example would be Fabianski. When he first joined Arsenal, he was good with shot stopping and reflex, but disastrous at dealing with crosses and catches the ball. That's why he always made a lot of stupid errors. But thanks to his hard work, towards the very end of his Arsenal period (and especially his post Arsenal period), his catching (anticipation of ball trajectory) has improved a lot. And as a result, he rarely makes any error in Swansea.

The way Martinez catches the ball is very impressive, especially when the shot is coming at a high speed and he still catches it safely. Last time I saw an Arsenal GK doing this was Lehmann.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The most frustrated I’ve ever been with him was in the penalty shootout loss at Anfield tbh. Arguably his biggest deficit (back then hopefully, and not now) was laid bare, as he all but checked out and disappeared. It lacked everything needed to make an impression. You can only learn from an experience like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom