• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Martinez: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

9jagooner

Just Claudio Bravo I think, but that was more down to him just being a disaster in most areas of his game
When he joined, he had England's no 1 in Joe Hart in goal but actively sought to replace him because he wasn't good with his feet. I remember the noise made by pundits then given Hart's reputation.

Then they got Bravo for £17M before paying £35M for Edison.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Interestingly he’s got the highest post shot xG - goals allowed per 90 in the league right now at 0.53. For me it’s one of the best if not the best metric for judging keepers.

Smaller sample size than Lloris admittedly who’s having an incredible year but the two of them are almost twice as good as third place.

Leno incidentally is at 0.25 which is good enough for fourth in the league.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Did you sleep through the Almunia & Flappianski years?
Well maybe Almunia was probably the worst & certainly not a strength but I really don't think Fabianski was really that bad. You've got realise aswell there'll be exceptions for good & bad in every position but the majority of our keepers have been decent over the years. We've had Seaman, Lehmann, Leno, Martinez, imo Sczesny & Fabianski, Ospina aswell & so I can certainly think of more good then bad in that.

Last edited:

Corbulo

Damian Emiliano Martinez has always been there for us. Always faithful, caught between two patriarchal paradigms, the virgin and the whore.

Martinez is putting career defining performances with his pitiful role of a naive young man, who just wants to be free from pain. We have been part of this long journey and we are now watching his emotions and sanity spiral out of control.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Don’t know what it is, but I’ve never been a fan of Leno. I was led to believe he was good on the ball, but he’s crap on the ball just like Cech was.

I like Martinez though. Not only does he catch the ball, but he also falls on it and slows the clock down when we’re struggling.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So now people have totally forgotten about the amount of times Leno has saved us this season. Lol. Now they've never liked him and he's never been good.
To be fair, Leno's always had his detractors since coming here, even when he's performed.

To my mind, he's been one of the best shot-stoppers since joining so I've been very happy with him. He does have his flaws though, and he's not a very commanding keeper at all, which makes us a bit weaker on crosses. Martinez appears to have this part of his game in his locker.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Interestingly he’s got the highest post shot xG - goals allowed per 90 in the league right now at 0.53. For me it’s one of the best if not the best metric for judging keepers.

Smaller sample size than Lloris admittedly who’s having an incredible year but the two of them are almost twice as good as third place.

Leno incidentally is at 0.25 which is good enough for fourth in the league.
Is this the expected goals on target stat?

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/introducing-expected-goals-on-target-xgot/

Quick read for those who aren't familiar with it. I still haven't fully gotten my head around it but xGOT measures how good a finisher a striker actually is and can also be used to see how good a shot stopper a goal keeper actually is.

xG on the other hand measures the quality of chances a striker gets while xGC measures the quality of chances a defence gives up.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Is this the expected goals on target stat?

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/introducing-expected-goals-on-target-xgot/

Quick read for those who aren't familiar with it. I still haven't fully gotten my head around it but xGOT measures how good a finisher a striker actually is and can also be used to see how good a shot stopper a goal keeper actually is.

xG on the other hand measures the quality of chances a striker gets while xGC measures the quality of chances a defence gives up.

I think it’s a similar metric reading that but the one I’m quoting is the one fb ref uses which uses freeze frames for each shot. Imo it’s the best stats website that’s out there right now although it’s a bit complicated to use.

Their basketball and other American sports sites are top of the line and they’ve recently started a football one so it’s still developing but I use it for a lot of comparisons across the big 5 leagues where there’s a greater range of stats.

A lot of great articles on there as well, this is their xG explanation.

https://fbref.com/en/expected-goals-model-explained/

Basically post shot xG is the quality of an on target shot which basically once you take away goals conceded gives you a decent picture of how good the keeper is against what they face and essentially adjusts for defensive quality of the team.

Much better than say save % which doesn’t factor in the quality of shot.

7-A4-E73-AA-00-D9-42-A0-94-E1-4-B4-F4767-EA40.jpg

I’d exclude Fahrmann just because he’s only played one game this season.

Last edited:

Gooner1988TK

Has nobody thought that Leno makes so many “fantastic” saves because his positioning is suspect when the shot comes in? The best keepers make a lot of saves look unspectacular because of initial positioning. Look at central defenders for example. The best ones do not make loads of slide tackles and bone crunching challenges because they’ve intercepted the danger before it’s occurred through positioning!

Martinez brings so much qualities Leno doesn’t possess. I can’t remember the last time we had a keeper who I was confident with on set pieces and crosses. He assures the defence, commands his area, catches everything and doesn’t put himself unnecessary pressure plus his distribution is miles better.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think it’s a similar metric reading that but the one I’m quoting is the one fb ref uses which uses freeze frames for each shot. Imo it’s the best stats website that’s out there right now although it’s a bit complicated to use.

Their basketball and other American sports sites are top of the line and they’ve recently started a football one so it’s still developing but I use it for a lot of comparisons across the big 5 leagues where there’s a greater range of stats.

Basically post shot xG is the quality of an on target shot which basically once you take away goals conceded gives you a decent picture of how good the keeper is against what they face and essentially adjusts for defensive quality of the team.

Yeah this is the same thing, Opta call it expected goals on target which is extremely confusing.

It’s one of the best stats out there and separates the good finishers/keepers from the guys who simply play for dominant teams.

I’ll check out the site. Love me some stats. :p

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

The biggest problem with football is sample size. Basketball works well because it's 82 games a season with basically all the players on the floor involved in every action + the quantity of "goals", scoring attempts, passes etc.

I'm all for expanding the tracking and use of stats in football, but I find it borderline pointless to try and break down keepers with stats. If you play exceptionally well 95% of the time except for when you make a massive mistake, you'd be considered (stat wise) a great keeper but in reality you'd be an Almunia.

Martin Dubravka is currently topping the list of mistakes leading to goals for keepers this season. Him being a great shot stopper 95% of the time is objectively true, but what does that actually matter when judging him as a keeper overall?

I think Martinez has been really good since Leno's injury, just to be clear.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The biggest problem with football is sample size. Basketball works well because it's 82 games a season with basically all the players on the floor involved in every action + the quantity of "goals", scoring attempts, passes etc.

I'm all for expanding the tracking and use of stats in football, but I find it borderline pointless to try and break down keepers with stats. If you play exceptionally well 95% of the time except for when you make a massive mistake, you'd be considered (stat wise) a great keeper but in reality you'd be an Almunia.

Martin Dubravka is currently topping the list of mistakes leading to goals for keepers this season. Him being a great shot stopper 95% of the time is objectively true, but what does that actually matter when judging him as a keeper overall?

I think Martinez has been really good since Leno's injury, just to be clear.

It’s not an all encompassing stat. However, I think it’s unfair to say it’s pointless when for me it’s the purest test of shot stopping ability that there is, it adjusts for quality of shots in a way that say save % just doesn’t do.

It’s like looking solely at PER or TS in basketball, you need to look at a mix of them. So yeah looking solely at that stat will tell you that Dubravka is one of the best shot stoppers but there’s a host of other available metrics on the same page for distribution and handling crosses which incidentally Dúbravka scores poorly at.

I just think generally it’s a great indication of shot stopping ability.

NoOffense

He has been excellent so far but his positioning yesterday against the Davis' chance was absolutely horrendous, which is quite concerning. Hopefully it was just an isolated mistake but if I were the goalie coach I'd be a bit worried. Been terrific goaltender so far though and respect towards him for being so patient waiting his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom