• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Martinez: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
He's been bad with 1v1s and it repeated yesterday with Davis' chance. Has to work on that to challenge Leno.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Reliable for Leeds stuff. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and Leno. You can’t really bench Leno but i doubt Martinez will want to go back to being a no.2. You’d probably get more money for him as well taking into account his recent performances and homegrown status.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Reliable for Leeds stuff. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and Leno. You can’t really bench Leno but i doubt Martinez will want to go back to being a no.2. You’d probably get more money for him as well taking into account his recent performances and homegrown status.

Leeds won’t be the only club in for him. No chance he goes back to number two now. Only way we keep both Martinez and Leno is if we start the season with Martinez and bench Leno.

At some point next season you’ll start hearing about Leno wanting games to get in the German Euro squad and I guess we’ll sell in summer 2021.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Leeds won’t be the only club in for him. No chance he goes back to number two now. Only way we keep both Martinez and Leno is if we start the season with Martinez and bench Leno.

At some point next season you’ll start hearing about Leno wanting games to get in the German Euro squad and I guess we’ll sell in summer 2021.

I feel like if we’re going to sell now is the best time, for either one of them. Leno was arguably our best player for most of the season so his rep is still high. Martinez has massively increased his reputation this past month as well. If you leave either one on the bench for a year you’ll probably get a much lower fee next summer. Martinez only has two years on his contract as well so they’ll need to give him a new one if they keep the both of them until next summer.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I feel like if we’re going to sell now is the best time, for either one of them. Leno was arguably our best player for most of the season so his rep is still high. Martinez has massively increased his reputation this past month as well. If you leave either one on the bench for a year you’ll probably get a much lower fee next summer. Martinez only has two years on his contract as well so they’ll need to give him a new one if they keep the both of them until next summer.
One way of looking at it is that Martinez a few months ago I think was talking about leaving this window to play regularly anyway. We’ve gone from probably getting <£5m for him to getting £20m or maybe more.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think Leno has been very good for us, a few mistakes here and there, but he has definitely won us more points than he cost us.

But I am slowly turning towards Emi with each game, like that he looks really good with his feet, hope he continues his form...if I had to choose to lose one right now, I would probably pick Bernd...would love to see Emi become Arsenal number 1 and Argentina number 1, especially after how long he has had to wait for his chance.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Think Leno has been very good for us, a few mistakes here and there, but he has definitely won us more points than he cost us.

But I am slowly turning towards Emi with each game, like that he looks really good with his feet, hope he continues his form...if I had to choose to lose one right now, I would probably pick Bernd...would love to see Emi become Arsenal number 1 and Argentina number 1, especially after how long he has had to wait for his chance.

For me Emi has the number 1 jersey until he makes some big mistakes and costs us points. He hasnt even been steady which is great with a back up keeper. He has been brilliant. Distribution good. You see sometimes he goes to throw it early but seems to read abit of danger and delays which is better than just firing it out. Hes also great with high balls.

Arsenal have a huge problem moving players on who dont want to leave. If Leno or Martinez arent happy with abit of competition tough luck. It's up to them to earn the right to play and while they have a contract they are with us. If someone offers decent money and we can buy a back up cheap no problem but none of this letting a good squad player go for 7-8m because we are too nice to say earn your place.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Haven’t they just bought Meslier who looks talented?

Bloodbather

Established Member

So now people have totally forgotten about the amount of times Leno has saved us this season. Lol. Now they've never liked him and he's never been good.

You'd think it'd be possible to commend Emi for his great performances without undermining Leno's great season until his injury, but some clearly think otherwise.

I think it'd be ideal to keep both and use them in rotation, as opposed to one being strictly domestic cups and the other league and European competitions.

The thing about the Emi vs Leno thing is that one's strength is the other's relative weakness and vice versa. Emi is great at handling set pieces and good with the ball at his feet, Leno is great at 1v1s and shot-stopping from close range. You combine the two and you'd end up with something Ter Stegen-lite. Emi is definitely a more Pep-style goalkeeper, which might factor in here.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
It’s a tricky comparison to make at the moment, but I’d say that Leno is probably the safer long-term pick right now.

Martinez has done everything right so far, and could have a higher peak, but we haven’t seen enough of him to know whether this is just a burst of incredible form. With Leno you’re guaranteed a very good goalkeeper for the next half-decade.

Tough call to make. I do love everything about Martinez, and he looks too good to be a backup atm. I wonder if a loan to a premiership club might be the best for all parties. Gives him more experience playing at the top level, whereas we gain more time to gauge his true potential before deciding whether to stick or twist.

You sell Leno of IMO. Simple. We've all seen what Leno is missing, it's just too much to be the correct GK for us. We keep Martinez and start searching for a GK who has similar traits to him.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Makes no sense to sell either of them until the market recovers and we don't have anyone breaking through the academy to fill the backup role.
I don't think other clubs would just throw money at because Martinez played well for 2 months. We usually scout players for a year or more before we buy them. If he plays one more year like that with more games, then we can talk about 20m or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom