• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emil Forsberg

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
No one is spending 100m on Lemar, that'd be mad. Also what's a no nonsense winger, like Pat Nevin or someone?
Wenger made that 90 mil bid for him in the closing stages of the transfer window last summer and Monaco refused.
In order for them to let him go this year, it would have to be in excess of 60 mil with him appearing at the WC and all.

Maybe no nonsense wasn't the right word for it. I suppose a more direct winger is the better description.
Nowadays they all sort of drift inside, but we need someone who will take on his opponent and cross it in the box.

Douglas Costa did that when he was playing for Guardiola's Bayern and was pretty hard to handle.
Mahrez would be good bang for your buck, like others have said.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Lemar is gash. Worth the initial bid we made for him in the ~35M bracket. No more.

Forsberg all the way. He's a penetrator, provokes things to happen. Iwobi should model his game after him.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Wenger made that 90 mil bid for him in the closing stages of the transfer window last summer and Monaco refused.
In order for them to let him go this year, it would have to be in excess of 60 mil with him appearing at the WC and all.

Maybe no nonsense wasn't the right word for it. I suppose a more direct winger is the better description.
Nowadays they all sort of drift inside, but we need someone who will take on his opponent and cross it in the box.

Douglas Costa did that when he was playing for Guardiola's Bayern and was pretty hard to handle.
Mahrez would be good bang for your buck, like others have said.

I know what you mean, there are more direct players than Lemar, for example Malcom, Guedes and Bailey are more direct. Lemar is a playmaker, but still very good at beating a man and few have better delivery than him.

I don't think Lemar is the only player we should look at, far from it, but I do think he'd really improve the overall technical quality of the team for years to come. People saying he's average are wide of the mark imo. If it were up to me I'd go for Malcom or Fekir simply because they'd do well on the right flank and that's been a weak point for us.

Newchange

I know what you mean, there are more direct players than Lemar, for example Malcom, Guedes and Bailey are more direct. Lemar is a playmaker, but still very good at beating a man and few have better delivery than him.

I don't think Lemar is the only player we should look at, far from it, but I do think he'd really improve the overall technical quality of the team for years to come. People saying he's average are wide of the mark imo. If it were up to me I'd go for Malcom or Fekir simply because they'd do well on the right flank and that's been a weak point for us.

Douglas Costa would be a class addition on our left

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

The way I see it next season there'll be 6 positions in midfield and attack to fill. We currently have 6 'starting quality' players in Ramsey, Xhaka, Özil, Mkhi, Auba & Laca, but we need 2 more ideally to provide quality in depth across a full season. One of those has to be a defensive midfielder, the other being an attacking player. So there's a place here for Forsberg, but whether that attacking player should be someone who 'drifts inside' i'm not so sure. Is it pure Wengerball or just ignoring our obvious need for width?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Is it pure Wengerball or just ignoring our obvious need for width?

Next to their playmaking an assist skills, both Forsberg and Mkhitaryan have a nice penchant for goals, the Armenian even more so - he's shown it at Donezk and Dortmund. They're both clearly more oriented towards the centre of the pitch, but both are fast enough to run in behind, and technically strong enough to beat their man. Same goes for Lemar and Mahrez, although I've never quite come to really rate the latter. But right now, almost anything is better than Iwobi on that left side.

On the left, both Monreal and especially Kolasinac have shown they can provide width and overlap. Bellerin has been a bit more flaccid recently, but he can definitely do it. With Ramsey's late runs and Özil's tendency to drop a bit deeper, I think it would work without a classic winger and elevate the team towards Wengerball again. You can already see how the Alexis - Mkhitaryan swap has helped in that regard.

So yeah, Forsberg is neat. So is Lemar and so is probably Mahrez. A front three of either one of these plus what we already have will make for a nice, technical attack with everyone having a bit of everything.

I think all three will be available at a good rate and while they'll probably play solid to good WCs (exluding Mahrez who doesn't go), I tend to think none of these will stand out particularly. The hot stock this summer will be Malcom, Bailey and whoever turns up for the WC.

Zaza

Next to their playmaking an assist skills, both Forsberg and Mkhitaryan have a nice penchant for goals, the Armenian even more so - he's shown it at Donezk and Dortmund. They're both clearly more oriented towards the centre of the pitch, but both are fast enough to run in behind, and technically strong enough to beat their man. Same goes for Lemar and Mahrez, although I've never quite come to really rate the latter. But right now, almost anything is better than Iwobi on that left side.

On the left, both Monreal and especially Kolasinac have shown they can provide width and overlap. Bellerin has been a bit more flaccid recently, but he can definitely do it. With Ramsey's late runs and Özil's tendency to drop a bit deeper, I think it would work without a classic winger and elevate the team towards Wengerball again. You can already see how the Alexis - Mkhitaryan swap has helped in that regard.

So yeah, Forsberg is neat. So is Lemar and so is probably Mahrez. A front three of either one of these plus what we already have will make for a nice, technical attack with everyone having a bit of everything.

I think all three will be available at a good rate and while they'll probably play solid to good WCs (exluding Mahrez who doesn't go), I tend to think none of these will stand out particularly. The hot stock this summer will be Malcom, Bailey and whoever turns up for the WC.
You don't rate Mahrez?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You don't rate Mahrez?

Nah, he seems a bit flukey to me. Like, when he's up to it he will perform outstandingly, but if he isn't he won't. I fear weak mentality/working ethics from him. But on the other hand, he's surely got skill and if Arsenal can't get someone else, I'm fine with him. Might turn out a good signing. I wouldn't pay 60m for him, though. Maybe 40.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Arsenal have held talks with Emil Forsberg’s agent regarding a potential deal for the RB Leipzig midfielder, claims SportExpressen.

Atletico Madrid and Juventus are also interested in the Sweden international, although Leipzig recently stated they did not want to sell Forsberg this summer.

An offer in excess of £45 million ($60.1m) is likely to be required for Leipzig to change their stance as the Bundesliga club also look to reward Forsberg with a new contract.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
A very good player but with a front 4 of Auba, Laca, Özil and Mkhi I am not sure we need him or where he would fit into the team.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
A very good player but with a front 4 of Auba, Laca, Özil and Mkhi I am not sure we need him or where he would fit into the team.

True, plus there's Iwobi who's a bit similar in style. Emery would probably rather develop him than buy a guy we don't necessarily need.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal have held talks with Emil Forsberg’s agent regarding a potential deal for the RB Leipzig midfielder, claims SportExpressen.

Atletico Madrid and Juventus are also interested in the Sweden international, although Leipzig recently stated they did not want to sell Forsberg this summer.

An offer in excess of £45 million ($60.1m) is likely to be required for Leipzig to change their stance as the Bundesliga club also look to reward Forsberg with a new contract.
surely the guy won't be joining A.Madrid with the way they playing. is this website reliable?

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
True, plus there's Iwobi who's a bit similar in style. Emery would probably rather develop him than buy a guy we don't necessarily need.
We lack quality width we don't have wingers We'll need some quality width if we switch to 4-3-3

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Is Forsberg really a winger though? To me he looks like a similar player to Mkhi, he can play on the wing but he'll drift inside or even play in midfield.
I think he is more left inside forward like Alexis who like to cut inside into the box.

StefanB

Is Forsberg really a winger though? To me he looks like a similar player to Mkhi, he can play on the wing but he'll drift inside or even play in midfield.

I'd compare Forsberg to some kind of Pires/Ljungberg hybrid.

Able to dictate play, but also takes players on and score goals. Class player.

Latest posts

Top Bottom