• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Arsenal Career on Death Rowe?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Am I the only one thinking that this project is nowhere near the quality of youth projects Wenger was having 2005-2009?
I said that all summer and was getting sh@t on. He is a decent young player. Even players like pennant and Bentley didn’t get chance here when we were hood and those were more talented than him

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He is young, English and white and that’s why he was hyped up. Call me crazy all you want

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
He is young, English and white and that’s why he was hyped up. Call me crazy all you want

I think you're taking it too far there, but ESR is nowhere near a talent like Wilshere for instance. He is good though, more of a link up type of player, never gonna be the talisman.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Am I the only one thinking that this project is nowhere near the quality of youth projects Wenger was having 2005-2009?

Only Saka and Saliba are close to that 2005-2009 group in terms of raw talent. But it not just the young players. Even the veteran players are merchants. The manager is not good enough. Chelsea sacked a legend cause he was mediocre, but for whatever reason, everyone has so much faith in Arteta, a guy that didn't even manage U18 level team before coming here.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Only Saka and Saliba are close to that 2005-2009 group in terms of raw talent. But it not just the young players. Even the veteran players are merchants. The manager is not good enough. Chelsea sacked a legend cause he was mediocre, but for whatever reason, everyone has so much faith in Arteta, a guy that didn't even manage U18 level team before coming here.
True. But I’m not even mad at Arteta. It’s unfair for any man to manage a team for the first time ever at a club like arsenal at any level. He is learning his trade at Arsenal. I mean they will sack him. But they will drag it so far they he will become hated. When in reality he just doesn’t have the experience

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I go back and forth on this to be honest. At the time, I was frustrated with Wenger's "Project Youth" because it felt unnecessary and just saw us falling further and further behind. Wasn't sure how good some of those guys were either. Whereas now, I can totally see the logic in a youth rebuild as we are never in a position to sign the very best older pros. It's hard to guage how good this lot are though. ESR & Saka feel like they could be special. Maybe Saliba as well if he ever plays for us. Tricky to know right now what a different manager could do with them as well.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I would say "Project Youth" was more so around 2008-2012, tbh.

Before that we still had quite a lot quality experienced players in the team/squad, Gilberto leaving and being replaced with youngsters was the moment it started for me....quality wise, those teams were poor defensively, but great going forward...had players who you knew could put up numbers too, something a lot of our current young players lack.

2012/2013 was when we started building the team that won back to back FA cups, that's when it kinda ended.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I would say "Project Youth" was more so around 2008-2012, tbh.

Before that we still had quite a lot quality experienced players in the team/squad, Gilberto leaving and being replaced with youngsters was the moment it started for me....quality wise, those teams were poor defensively, but great going forward...had players who you knew could put up numbers too, something a lot of our current young players lack.

2012/2013 was when we started building the team that won back to back FA cups, that's when it kinda ended.
For a nostalgia merchant like yourself, this is completely wrong and disappointing.

I'll just put some names here: Fabregas, Diaby, RVP, Adebayor, Walcott - they were some of the best talents in the world, much better than some kids like Sancho or Saka that we hear so much about these days

On top of that, there were some very talented players like Vela and Bendtner, both had all the tools but their personalities (Vela lacking ambition and Bendtner being an absolute idiot) were in their way.

We could also mention some guys like Djourou, Senderos, Flamini, Clichy, and Song who were all OK talents and had mixed results in their careers.

That being said, we did have some senior guys in the squad as every youth project has, but kids were the core of our team in that period.
Hleb, Toure, and Rosicky were in their mid 20's, not kids of course but were still considered young enough with time on their side.

You guys can compare that youth project with the current one, and you will find out that the problem is not about having a youth project which most of you think it is, it's the obvious lack of quality that the current youth project has compared to the previous one.
Any top team in the world from 2005-2008 was scared of us, today teams like Brighton and Palace outplay us, and Villareal is praying that they get Arsenal in the knockout of tier 2 European competition.

Riou

For a nostalgia merchant like yourself, this is completely wrong and disappointing.

I'll just put some names here: Fabregas, Diaby, RVP, Adebayor, Walcott - they were some of the best talents in the world, much better than some kids like Sancho or Saka that we hear so much about these days

On top of that, there were some very talented players like Vela and Bendtner, both had all the tools but their personalities (Vela lacking ambition and Bendtner being an absolute idiot) were in their way.

We could also mention some guys like Djourou, Senderos, Flamini, Clichy, and Song who were all OK talents and had mixed results in their careers.

That being said, we did have some senior guys in the squad as every youth project has, but kids were the core of our team in that period.
Hleb, Toure, and Rosicky were in their mid 20's, not kids of course but were still considered young enough with time on their side.

You guys can compare that youth project with the current one, and you will find out that the problem is not about having a youth project which most of you think it is, it's the obvious lack of quality that the current youth project has compared to the previous one.
Any top team in the world from 2005-2008 was scared of us, today teams like Brighton and Palace outplay us, and Villareal is praying that they get Arsenal in the knockout of tier 2 European competition.

I didn't say these youth players were as good as the ones back then, we were definitely better back then.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Been screaming this for flipping months lol

Different calibre of manager, different calibre of talent and whilst we got CL it still didn't quite work out the way it was sold to us.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I didn't say these youth players were as good as the ones back then, we were definitely better back then.
Wasn't referring to that at all, it was your timeline that bugged me.

Even the Gatekeeper Of Mediocrity should be able to tell the difference in talent :lol:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Been screaming this for flipping months lol

Different calibre of manager, different calibre of talent and whilst we got CL it still didn't quite work out the way it was sold to us.
Watching ESR, it would be hard to convince me that Wenger couldn't teach him when to shoot and when to pass the ball. Arteta got this job based on his coaching ability, and I struggle to see any results of his quality in that area

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Watching ESR, it would be hard to convince me that Wenger couldn't teach him when to shoot and when to pass the ball. Arteta got this job based on his coaching ability, and I struggle to see any results of his quality in that area
This project falls on it's face when Saka doesn't renew his contract anyways. Imagine people think he's actually gonna wait for White, Ramsdale, Lokonga and Tomiyasu to get good.

Riou

Wasn't referring to that at all, it was your timeline that bugged me.

Our team wasn't that young in the last year of Highbury or first year of the Emirates (maybe 07/08, though)

In 2006/2007, the only players who would start for us if everyone was fit, that were under 25, were Fabregas, Van Persie, Eboue and Clichy...Lehmann was in his mid-late 30s, Toure was 25, Gallas was 29, Gilberto was 30, Rosicky was 26, Henry was 29....we still had a really good core then.

That was a far better and much more experienced team than now, think only Partey, Xhaka and Auba are our starters who are over 25.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This project falls on it's face when Saka doesn't renew his contract anyways. Imagine people think he's actually gonna wait for White, Ramsdale, Lokonga and Tomiyasu to get good.
This project should support selling Saka as soon as he can reach the top $$$. I'm not gonna be delusional to think that we can keep our best players and compete, especially when Newcastle enters the game.
Sell them for big money, invest in top talent, rinse and repeat. The problem for us is that we are not on the market for top talent in the first place, and we definitely don't have the manager or director to do what Wenger was doing before.
I'm always saying our business model should be the same as for Dortmund, but we don't have Watzke or Klopp, we have Edu and Arteta

Riou

Different calibre of manager

Mikel has been so bad, that he doesn't even deserve the dignity of someone hiring out an expensive plane.

Just have someone drive outside the Emirates on their lawnmower, with a "Arteta Out" sign on the back.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Man needs to get good himself but if I speak etc.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Man needs to get good himself but if I speak etc.
If you saw my post before I edited it :lol:

He's a bonafide England international though, he will outgrow this situation pretty quickly.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Our team wasn't that young in the last year of Highbury or first year of the Emirates (maybe 07/08, though)

In 2006/2007, the only players who would start for us if everyone was fit, that were under 25, were Fabregas, Van Persie, Eboue and Clichy...Lehmann was in his mid-late 30s, Toure was 25, Gallas was 29, Gilberto was 30, Rosicky was 26, Henry was 29....we still had a really good core then.

That was a far better and much more experienced team than now, think only Partey, Xhaka and Auba are our starters who are over 25.
I wouldn't agree but OK. I guess there was a shift back then and it really depends which year we are talking about, but in general, I would say that the focus on youth started in 2005, that's why I've said it was our first youth project, and still by far the best one.

Think Wenger was expecting much more from Diaby and he would definitely be a starter if he was fit. Henry had a poor last season by his standards so I also think that Wenger wanted to shift to Ade and RVP as soon as it was possible.

Agree, seniors were much stronger compared to what we have today, but I still believe that the core was Fabregas - Diaby - RvP (3 of our best players if you don't count Henry who was leaving), which of course never worked because of the injuries, and it's probably the reason why that super talented team never won anything.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom