• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Arsenal Career on Death Rowe?

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
The kid has earned some credit in the bank by scoring in the last few games.
What i will say is that ESR & SAKA may be our star prospects but are young developing players & are nowhere near Mane & Salah levels.

Its great playing for your Country & scoring against the likes of San Marino but the step up to the highest level in football & putting on a performance against Liverpool at Anfield is massive.
So its only massive for him and not .....say....Tavares and Sambi? They had a good few games but their bank accounts seem empty.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I'm a massive fan of our academy and want to see more players coming through, but somehow people think they should either be great or they should be sold if not.
The thing is that Ode is no better than ESR or Saka and we could've saved some 35m based on that fact, but we still invested in a squad player that could've been covered through our academy.
That's the whole idea of the academy for me, if a few of them can be top, amazing, but I'm happy that so many of them can be squad players and we could save so much money on that and invest it in top quality starting material, not roles that can be filled through the academy.

We actually have a great example of the failed planning this summer, money invested in Lokonga and Ode is about 50m, and it's gonna be hard to convince me that the two of them are any better than ESR and AMN, and that 50m that we didn't have to invest could've got us a fine starting CM. That's how the academy can improve our first team, but not in a direct way everyone thinks it would
You need squad depth though & 50m combined for 2 promising young players is really nothing in todays market.
Personally I think they are both talented & will prove to be good purchases.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I never really had a problem with our academy products. Its just that this particular generation is getting way overrated for having a 6/10 performances during our worst period as a club and are spoken of like they are world class players.
It's because we're now a side that finishes 8th in the league.

Saka, as good as he is would have been battling Theo for game time and would probably be playing LB for us initially and ESR would clearly be second fiddle to the likes of Nasri/Cazorla/Özil/Sanchez.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
So its only massive for him and not .....say....Tavares and Sambi? They had a good few games but their bank accounts seem empty.
ESR struggled against LIverpool as did most players tbf Laca , Auba, Partey, Saka etc.
Do we moan about every player?

Perhaps its just that Tavares & Sambi struggled more than most & had some more standout bad moments

This is nothing new, normally after every bad result a couple of players stand out as the 'recognised' poorer performers & get the brunt of the internet slating.
Like It could often be Xhaka & Luiz last season.

If you want to slate ESR after the Liverpool game you can?
Fine fill ur boots, whatever makes you happy!

I dont think there is an agenda.
Are you suggesting perhaps the hale end boys get more favourable treatment?

I think Its simply most people watching the game felt Sambi & Tavares made more higher profile errors.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I don't really see what a lot of people see on him this season, but he's done a lot better than Ødegaard so I find hard to go after him

At least he's capable of getting involved in a couple of interesting moments every match.

Yeah I mean Scoring in 3 games on the bounce b4 Liverpool & directly helping us to win games & climb up the league is not worthwhile in the slightest.

🤣😂

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I never really had a problem with our academy products. Its just that this particular generation is getting way overrated for having a 6/10 performances during our worst period as a club and are spoken of like they are world class players.

I don't believe ESR will ever be the "number 10" for us. Dude has got tunnel vision and I doubt that it will improve. The position requires the best and he just ain't it.
You may be right I actually think Ode has the best footballing vision in the squad but at the end of the day if ESR is linking play & scoring goals he is a major asset & plus point for the team.
He obviously will never be a Bergkamp or prime Özil but tbf few ever will be.. You are talking elite level 10's.

Even though he has the '10' shirt he rarely plays as a 10 tbf at present.
I would say Laca plays more of the 10 role & then is replaced by Ode.

Last edited:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
A bit quiet today, especially in the first half I’m starting to worry that Arteta needs goals and will tell ESR not to get involved in build up play. He’s a midfielder by trade so I expect him to be more present in build up. He’s done so well this season so I won’t read much into it.

mirrorstares

Reminded me of Walcott a bit, only appeared to strike the ball

He does this a lot no matter where you put him on the pitch, but I guess is hard to combine with your fullback when he spent a whole half sending the ball to row Z. He didn't mess the play that mattered, even if all the credit should go to Saka for that move.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Mostly fine, starved of the ball but still one of the most likely players to take up a threatening position and score, makes sense as we tended to the right as we always do with Ødegaard on the pitch and looked to finish on the left.

jaystewart

He's coincided with some feel good rejuvenation under Arteta but I really struggle to take to ESR like some people I know. It's hard to describe but it is a little like the Giroud/Benzema national team comparison. What Giroud has done for France humble us into accepting the impression he's a top player. But, the gulf in quality between him and Benzema is monumental. Benzema may not outscore Giroud but the difference stands.

We have to question 1) The level of competition 2) the setup around the player. You need to prove you alone can be a thorn in the side of big teams to imply quality. And if your teams useless, it's not as hard to shine, and this makes you look quality. Saka and ESR got slapped with this saviour narrative as soon as they started playing first team football. Point 2 definitely plays a role.

For me, there's this weird looming absence of quality in ERS's game outside of attacking space and being accustomed to playing the arsenal way. I genuinely think the enthusiasm, intensity and excitement he brings when he dribbles makes what he lacks more apparent and harder to accept. He doesn't pass particularly well, he doesn't seem to be someone who strikes the ball well, he's isn't a winger who becomes a defenders nightmare.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He had a quiet game but kept us moving forward. The link ups didn't happen as much as usual but he's a goal threat now and that's important

mpower2540

Thought he struggled today badly. Felt he lacked belief and strength. Wouldn’t have minded sticking Tierney LB and pushing Nuno further forward.

Tavares wants to go but ESR wasn’t holding it well enough and I felt Tavares was a bit too eager to leave his space when we weren’t secure in possession.

He’s a kid tbf and he looked it in this game

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Thought he struggled today badly. Felt he lacked belief and strength. Wouldn’t have minded sticking Tierney LB and pushing Nuno further forward.

Tavares wants to go but ESR wasn’t holding it well enough and I felt Tavares was a bit too eager to leave his space when we weren’t secure in possession.

He’s a kid tbf and he looked it in this game
Garbage, all the positions he lost the ball in he was isolated and in an area of heavy Utd pressure. Any excuse to go at him.

mpower2540

Garbage, all the positions he lost the ball in he was isolated and in an area of heavy Utd pressure. Any excuse to go at him.
Part of the front three, you’re going to be isolated at certain times away from home and I felt too often he wasn’t able to keep hold of the ball. I don’t think he’s strong enough yet, I also think he looked tired.

I like him for the record I think he’s good but agree to disagree here I thought he struggled tonight.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He was average against Newcastle as well, after the hype and his England call up he was bound to have a dip at some point. He’s got 7 G/A in 14 games so he’s doing his bit, others need to step up.

mirrorstares

He gets completely lost due to the chaos happening behind him, the best he can hope for is to press and recover a ball or pop up a shot if he happens to be near the box

Somehow he keeps scoring, but it gets uglier each time

Pop Tart

Established Member
He is scoring goals consistently for us right now so he deserves to play but I do sometimes wonder what he does in games at times.

He is a decent player but he is not the baller some make out

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
FairPlay for the goal but I thought he was poor tonight. Didn’t progress the ball as well as he usually does and his movement was oddly static.

This comes with young players though. No concerns about him at all. Five league goals is impressive going .

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Yes apart from goal really not adding much was poor in utd 2nd goal and not add the same impact Gabi added in other side

Latest posts+

Top Bottom