• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Arsenal Career on Death Rowe?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Nelson missed football as well and his first game after a while was full of energy. I usually relate the lack of game time to some technical mistakes, but ESR looks like he is too heavy to run and move and that was even before the injuries. I remember him when he was 19, that was something cool to watch the way he was running with the ball. He has technical skills to be very efficient in the final third, but something is wrong with his body and movement and I can't understand how nothing can be done about that

They have distinctly different builds and playing styles. Plus, Nelson’s injury wasn’t quite as severe as ESR’s. ESR admitted it was a problem that had troubled him for a long time prior to surgery too.

I’m concerned about his injury record though. It’s been a common theme of his career to date. He started brightly on loan at RB Leipzig but again was derailed by injury.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Played mostly safe, which makes sense when rusty. Still contributed with the assist so a good first look in. I always want Halen End players to make it so I hope he does, but his situation is precarious, might have to sell. We'll see how the remainder of the season goes.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Nelson missed football as well and his first game after a while was full of energy. I usually relate the lack of game time to some technical mistakes, but ESR looks like he is too heavy to run and move and that was even before the injuries. I remember him when he was 19, that was something cool to watch the way he was running with the ball. He has technical skills to be very efficient in the final third, but something is wrong with his body and movement and I can't understand how nothing can be done about that
Nelson has a different body type. He looks naturally lean and light footed. ESR is fit but there's a lot of him. The operation to cure the constant pain may also have changed his gait. He'll need match time to get fit and used to his "new" body. Hopefully his bad eating habits are in check to aid his fitness.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Fundamentally the question is not whether he's a good player, but whether he suits the squad. It needs to be experimented with still, but the concern is that he's a bit like Tierney; a good player who just may not suit the way we're playing now (as a LW at least).

To provide the attacking balance we need, the left attacker in our forward line has to be willing to stay wide; that allows Zinchenko to drift inside, Saka to drift into the right half space without the line becoming problematically narrow, and Xhaka to attack the left half space with late runs. That's just fundamentally not what ESR's game is about, and in fact it was something that Nelson visibly improved about our attack when he came on today. My honest thought is that if wants to play anywhere for our first team it might be in Xhaka's position. I think he'd certainly be more impactful there than Vieira, and ESR's shown an instinct for long shots and late runs into the box.

Now, there's a separate and fair question around his valuation. I agree that we shouldn't let him go for super cheap; I'd rather keep him and play him in Cups/as a sub to increase his value than let him go for peanuts. It might depend on how well he shows in the EL and as a sub for the remainder of the season, as well as what our attacking options look like next year. But in the end, if we have 2-3 senior players at LW ahead of him who also fit the position better for our style of play, Arteta will need to make a realistic decision on his future.
The thing is, he is still formulating as a player. He's performances at youth level and at senior level are really split between 3 or 4 different positions, so I look at him more in terms of skillset. In this current squad he's not a starter, but the fact he can be very impactful in 2-3 positions when fit, plus at his best he is a provoker and accelerator make him potentially extremely useful. I reference Rosicky because I can see him having a similar squad role and impact, despite their differences.

Alkesh

The thing is, he is still formulating as a player. He's performances at youth level and at senior level are really split between 3 or 4 different positions, so I look at him more in terms of skillset. In this current squad he's not a starter, but the fact he can be very impactful in 2-3 positions when fit, plus at his best he is a provoker and accelerator make him potentially extremely useful. I reference Rosicky because I can see him having a similar squad role and impact, despite their differences.

I just hope we give him EL minutes at LCM. I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that he's better central. I remember during the Amazon show, Edu's board even had him playing in the middle (in Ødegaard's position). We of course now have Vieira for that, but I think the two could potentially play together.

That's where I think he can use his skillset best, and a successor for Xhaka is something we need for the squad.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
They are not going to rely on ESR in central midfield, come on.
idc-still.gif

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

His development has been severely hampered by all the injuries. I don't think we'll see him at his best this season. Most of the time will go to get back to full match fitness.

I have a soft spot for ESR. There is a really good player there that needs a sustained period of development. We need to champion our own youth prospects. That is good for the club and also for the academy. However, as it is now, he needs to show he can stay fit for a prolonged period of time.

Next season will be sink or swim.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He will come for Xhaka's spot, but fail like all the others.

Granit is like Patrick Vieira for us now, somehow there is no stopping him :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's weird when talking about ESR, I could list off his attributes and talk about the multiple positions he could play, but none of it matters if he cannot prove his ability to keep fit.

IIRC, Arteta said something recently which sounded like he wanted Emile to work much harder. He was a serious fight on his hands to prove himself. We're not longer in a position where we're gonna wait and wait for a player to come good.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I still think this guy has world class potential, but none of it matters if he can't stay fit obviously. I remember someone posting some highlights of him on here 5-6 years in the youth team and I was genuinely blown away by his ability on the ball and intelligence in his movement etc.

Such a shame his body seems ****ed.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom