• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: The Croy-10 Cruyff

Status
Not open for further replies.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
No mate, it’s poor. We know how talented he is, but there is no denying his finishing needs a lot of work.
Tbf he hasn’t had a huge number of chances, he’s put some stuff away very convincingly for us and it was only late last season he started to make runs in behind. He’s not been at it long, the main thing he needs is practice and experience in behind the defence and he will improve. To me it’s actually encouraging he sees that he needs to gamble and get in behind to elevate his game, a lot of very good wingers never recognise that, in that sense I think he’s ahead of schedule.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Tbf he hasn’t had a huge number of chances, he’s put some stuff away very convincingly for us and it was only late last season he started to make runs in behind. He’s not been at it long, the main thing he needs is practice and experience in behind the defence and he will improve. To me it’s actually encouraging he sees that he needs to gamble and get in behind to elevate his game, a lot of very good wingers never recognise that, in that sense I think he’s ahead of schedule.
Ahead of his time, yea. But really, him and ESR should be rotating. We need Pepe to step up and be the main winger, both for creating and scoring goals. Will it happen? I don’t think so.

Show me another team who relies on two young players to be their source for goals.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Both ESR and Saka need to step up their raw output if we are to rely on them otherwise top 6 and beyond is no hope, as they are pretty much our best attackers.

They pass the eye test with flying colours, but they are far from the breadwinners in the team and we need them to be if they are going to play the most.

ESR had half a season, so you could kind of excuse it.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I don't expect any of our players to perform to their best or full potential as long as Arteta is here. I don't expect any of our youngsters to improve under Arteta. I don't expect anything pleasing from this squad for as long as Arteta is their coach.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
I don't expect any of our players to perform to their best or full potential as long as Arteta is here. I don't expect any of our youngsters to improve under Arteta. I don't expect anything pleasing from this squad for as long as Arteta is their coach.
Not a big a fan of Arteta?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Both ESR and Saka need to step up their raw output if we are to rely on them otherwise top 6 and beyond is no hope, as they are pretty much our best attackers.

They pass the eye test with flying colours, but they are far from the breadwinners in the team and we need them to be if they are going to play the most.

ESR had half a season, so you could kind of excuse it.
Totally agree with this. It's an obvious point but but whether they can increase their output will be the difference between them both being very good players (which they are now) or top starters for a team with our aspirations.

For what it's worth I think they will both improve this year if they can stay fit. In fairness last season Saka was playing in a different position and his versatility has really helped us out. It's only natural that he will take longer to find his feet if he is moved about.

I expect a modest improvement this season but I think we have to be patient as well. 22-23 is the age when you can really start judging the level of attacking players. These two have shown the raw talent already.

Barry

In Saka's case, it might actually help us if he doesn't explode this season. With no contract renewal, if he is amazing this year we probably end up selling or hugely inflating his contract next season. If he is just a little better then we've got a much greater chance of tying him down long term... (This probably isn't the way to think about it but we've been burned before)

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

In Saka's case, it might actually help us if he doesn't explode this season. With no contract renewal, if he is amazing this year we probably end up selling or hugely inflating his contract next season. If he is just a little better then we've got a much greater chance of tying him down long term... (This probably isn't the way to think about it but we've been burned before)
Over thinking it :lol:

The benefits of Saka going to the moon ability wise far outweigh a good-ish season. The onus is more on the rest of the squad to be on his level really.

As long as these guys like Saka and ESR can see a route to England from Arsenal, we are fine and I think we worry way too much because of the past like you say.

samspade

Ahead of his time, yea. But really, him and ESR should be rotating. We need Pepe to step up and be the main winger, both for creating and scoring goals. Will it happen? I don’t think so.

Show me another team who relies on two young players to be their source for goals.
Pepe has to play as he bangs goals, I totally agree, I think working out how to best utilise Pepe is Arteta's most important task this season. I agree top teams don't tend to rely on players still finding theme selves but we aren't a top team and we have to gamble on potential to a degree, as it goes I think they're two very good horses to bet on. We'd be much less reliant on numbers coming from these two if we had a class cf + Pepe, that should be the pair who really score. We also haven't seen them in a team who can hold the ball up the pitch higher, improving the mf would make it easier for them to get close to goal and score/assist.
Maybe signing Maddison helps fixe your problem.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We're placing a lot of expectations on ESR, he was basically the reason we steered away from relegation last season now we're expecting him to score the goals to fire us upward even more? A lot to ask imo. He'll have one hell of a season if he ends up meeting all these expectations especially in such a restrictive system.

Barry

Over thinking it :lol:

The benefits of Saka going to the moon ability wise far outweigh a good-ish season. The onus is more on the rest of the squad to be on his level really.

As long as these guys like Saka and ESR can see a route to England from Arsenal, we are fine and I think we worry way too much because of the past like you say.
Haha yeah I know, definitely over thinking it! Been burned before though, I'm paranoid man 🤣

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
As long as the plan is to put 50 crosses per game from the left, I don't think any of our forwards will have luck this season, including ESR.
We somehow always end up focusing and criticizing individuals instead of looking at the bigger picture. Nothing is wrong really on the individual level, we have a really strong squad and ESR is part of that. He would be scoring/assisting for fun in Wengerball

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Pepe has to play as he bangs goals, I totally agree, I think working out how to best utilise Pepe is Arteta's most important task this season. I agree top teams don't tend to rely on players still finding theme selves but we aren't a top team and we have to gamble on potential to a degree, as it goes I think they're two very good horses to bet on. We'd be much less reliant on numbers coming from these two if we had a class cf + Pepe, that should be the pair who really score. We also haven't seen them in a team who can hold the ball up the pitch higher, improving the mf would make it easier for them to get close to goal and score/assist.
Maybe signing Maddison helps fixe your problem.
This season is Pepes last chance for me. I’m not hopeful. He has all the attributes but none of the execution. You can only blame Arteta or the Right back for so long. Pepe just shows no consistency and doesn’t do the basics.

He’s to stop/start, very rarely is he direct, very rarely does he travel at top speed. He doesn’t make any runs in behind. He rarely takes on the full back. He slows the game down too much.

I really want him to come good, but I just can’t see it.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
We're placing a lot of expectations on ESR, he was basically the reason we steered away from relegation last season now we're expecting him to score the goals to fire us upward even more? A lot to ask imo. He'll have one hell of a season if he ends up meeting all these expectations especially in such a restrictive system.
ESR isn’t the reason we improved, he’s part of the reason, along with the change in system, Ødegaard, Partey coming back.

I don’t think fans are expecting too much when they say they want him to offer more threat. He’s capable, but plays too safe, reckon it’s a mentality thing. Hopefully he goes on a mini run of scoring in a few games and develops a hunger.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
What I will say about ESR is he looked better before Arteta got to him. When he first broke in, he was playing in combinations through the middle, linking in triangles, like Wengerball.

it didn’t take long for all this to go, now, even though he’s a CAM, you usually find him in the RW/RB position.

samspade

This season is Pepes last chance for me. I’m not hopeful. He has all the attributes but none of the execution. You can only blame Arteta or the Right back for so long. Pepe just shows no consistency and doesn’t do the basics.

He’s to stop/start, very rarely is he direct, very rarely does he travel at top speed. He doesn’t make any runs in behind. He rarely takes on the full back. He slows the game down too much.

I really want him to come good, but I just can’t see it.
You don't think he produced last season given the circumstances? To my mind he's an awkward player who needs to be accommodated but you have to bother because he's a deadly finisher, I thought he was much improved in his general play late last season.

Barry

What I will say about ESR is he looked better before Arteta got to him. When he first broke in, he was playing in combinations through the middle, linking in triangles, like Wengerball.

it didn’t take long for all this to go, now, even though he’s a CAM, you usually find him in the RW/RB position.
He normally drifts left doesn't he?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
You don't think he produced last season given the circumstances? To my mind he's an awkward player who needs to be accommodated but you have to bother because he's a deadly finisher, I thought he was much improved in his general play late last season.
He produced in spells. But I don’t think he’ll ever find consistency here. For me, I look at Mane and Sterling and think Pepe should be similar. What they do well which Pepe doesn’t is make runs off the ball.

Pepe almost plays like he’s a playmaking wideman. Like you said, he’s a good finisher, he should be taking 3-4 shots a game like the best wingers in the league, but he doesn’t. You can put that down to Mikel, but it’s equally Pepes responsibility. He just doesn’t look hungry for goals.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
He normally drifts left doesn't he?
People moaned about Ødegaard drifting to the right, but judging from ESR in pre season, it seems it’s a deliberate tactic. I don’t understand it but here we are.

Probably why we are so hot on Maddison, because he can cross a good ball on his right foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom