• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If we want to make our way back to being an elite side, then we have to juggle these two players on our books.

There will come a time when we are back in the Champions League, we seem to be back on the right path again. When those days come, we will need two quality keepers to keep us competitive.

We keep Martinez, we keep Leno.

Yes that's what we should aim to do but reality is one of them will be No1 when PL kicks off again and the other one wont be happy. Personally I would extend Martinez contract and keep him as No1. If Leno decides he wants out then we will probably have to sell him.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
This is one thing that I don't like about Martinez, the guy has no humility. I get it he wants to become no.1 and wants to play but sometimes he comes across so unbelievably arrogant. Auba has been our best player for the last two years yet he never talks like this. Emi on the other hand has a supurb ten games or so but starts talking like fighting to keep his spot is almost beneath him.

This has the same vibes as when he gave that uber cocky interview at the start of the season. Now I read that again I see he also mentioned he had .."13 or 14 clubs." After him. Also still can't believe he threw his best friend under the bus like that.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/emiliano-martinez-my-own-words

Apart from that side I like what I saw from him after the restart. We should try really hard to keep both him and Leno if possible.
Whatever PR they put out bet very few have much humility or care for teamates.

They are rich as **** & been in brutal competition with 'teammates' since kids... survival of the fittest.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I like that arrogance in a keeper though, it served the likes of Jens and Woj well.

Emi is nearly 30 and hasn't been a starter anywhere bar lower leagues until the last few months...he knows he needs to use this as a way to kick on, either here or somewhere else...what if he agrees to go back to being number 2 and fighting for his place...gets an injury, then kind of gets forgotten about.

Football can move very fast, when you get a break you need to take it.

I got all of that and I do see his point of view but what does his comments achieve? I doubt anyone is asking him to come back exlusively as a no.2. Also who are his words aimed at? Arteta? Does he think Arteta won't give him a fair crack? I'm really not sure what he is asking for. After his run there is no doubt he will get his fair share of games, this isn't like before when he had never proven himself in an Arsenal shirt

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Whatever PR they put out bet very few have much humility or care for teamates.

They are rich as **** & been in brutal competition with 'teammates' since kids... survival of the fittest.

Well at least in public. Deep down even us mortals can sometimes have a high opinion of ourselves, however we usually keep that to ourselves. Emi strikes me as someone who loves saying it out loud often.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I got all of that and I do see his point of view but what does his comments achieve? I doubt anyone is asking him to come back exlusively as a no.2. Also who are his words aimed at? Arteta? Does he think Arteta won't give him a fair crack? I'm really not sure what he is asking for. After his run there is no doubt he will get his fair share of games, this isn't like before when he had never proven himself in an Arsenal shirt

I think he just wants guarantee about being number 1, after being number 2 at most for us for a decade I won't begrudge him wanting to play.

Have a feeling he will be sold unfortunately.

balthazar

Completely understand. Has been 2. and 3. keeper for ages without complaining. He has finally proved that he is a worthy No.1 and if Arteta what to stick him on the bench again, I think he has earned to right to leave and pursue his dream for playing regular football. Hope he stays though.

Once toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't put it back in.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Surprised nobody posted the piece in the Athletic. Think it was there unless I dreamt it this morning.

They said Raul had slapped a very high valuation on his head, for him to move that would have to come down.

They also said he is asking for a pretty lucrative new deal.

Bit of a big decision to make on him, 10 clubs want him. 2 years left, expecting a potentially big contract to possibly sit on the bench and wants first team football.

I'd personally sell for £25M and re invest to balance the squad better.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Surprised nobody posted the piece in the Athletic. Think it was there unless I dreamt it this morning.

They said Raul had slapped a very high valuation on his head, for him to move that would have to come down.

They also said he is asking for a pretty lucrative new deal.

Bit of a big decision to make on him, 10 clubs want him. 2 years left, expecting a potentially big contract to possibly sit on the bench and wants first team football.

I'd personally sell for £25M and re invest to balance the squad better.

Mentioned this before, if he’s demanding to be no.1 he will expect to be paid like one. Do you really keep two keepers on £90k per week? Nah......

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Mentioned this before, if he’s demanding to be no.1 he will expect to be paid like one. Do you really keep two keepers on £90k per week? Nah......

No way. 5 year contract on literally 70k+ a week. Will be sold i reckon. Probably be a lot of movement on sales next week when pre season officially begins.

Shalmaneser V

We need to keep this dude around. Not only is he a more rounded keeper than Leno, he also comes across as more confident. I like his arrogance.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I mean, I would. It's a valuable position for proper possession football. Keepers get injured pretty regularly too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wouldn't wanna go into the season with Matt Macey as back-up. He's tall but a relatively OK shot-stopper but he's not that good. So I think if we lose Martinez, we might have to front up for a back-up keeper. I do think Martinez is far more secure on crosses of late but Leno is no downgrade otherwise. Ideally we keep both but Martinez has paid his dues, he needs regular football now. If we can't offer that, he's gonna have to be sold.

I like our U23 keeper Arthur Okonkwo but he's only just started training after a mysterious illness last season. He's incredibly promising but I don't think it's feasible to have him as back-up either. If Martinez leaves, we gotta make another signing.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Can we even afford to sell him with Leno's injury taking longer than expected?

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In the 'Leno or Martinez?' thread there was talk that his injury was misdiagnosed?

jvw

I'd keep him and start next season with him as no. 1. We can sell Leno when he's back from injury. Or if it turns out Emi was just having a purple patch (which I doubt), sell him then. But I see no reason to sell him while he seems to be our best keeper. That's the kind of transfer management that will secure us 8th place again, as we wonder what might have been while he does well elsewhere.

Why

Always Me ?
Tough one, he was solid while Leno was injured and genuinely made me feel more confident in the team. He gets down so quickly for those low shots its unbelievable. I saw a few interviews he did and he came across as a really nice guy, and genuinely loves this football club. I would hate to see him leave, but if he did I would be really happy for him. Seems like the sort of person who if he had been given a shot before we bought Leno he could have turned into a fan favourite.

But Leno is still an amazing keeper, made some blunders, but that was when he was facing 20 shots a game. Like to see what he will be like now our defence is a bit more solid and some new reinforcements coming in.

Long story short, I don't want him to go, but if he does I hope he does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom