• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
Does anyone find it odd that the only teams interested in Buffon mark two are Aston Villa and maybe, possibly Brighton.
People blaming Arteta, Martinez is clearly forcing his hand, he wants to be guaranteed first choice come what may, you would have to give him a new contract and judging by his demands after ten games he'll be asking for a massive wage as well.
Leno would leave and where does that leave us if he starts playing like he did at Anfield in the Carrierbag cup?

Ideally we keep both and they battle it out but with Martinez's demands and contract situation it clearly isn't an option.
You go with the safer , logical choice ( Leno has played 350 top flight games in a major league, Martinez has played 15, they are the same age) we find a new goalkeeper and we move on.
That's honestly great analysis man. You changed my mind on this subject and now think it's good decision to Martinez.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Totally defeats the point of competition. It's a black day in this clubs dealings. It's not the Arsenal way. It's embarrassing.
It’s different for Goal Keepers though man.

Credible sources say we tried to keep Emi here and renegotiate his terms - if true it’s actually him who walked away. Ornstein said he’s been begging the hierarchy to halve his transfer fee to secure him a move.
Argentina call up too important to him to potentially end up as cup keeper.

Looking at today’s team selection, Arteta seems to have zero problems creating direct competition within the team.

Arsenal ready to cash in on Emiliano Martinez as he seeks No 1 spot
https://theathletic.com/2029141/202...-arsenal-transfer/?source=user_shared_article

Last edited:

Moah

Imagine developing a player for 8 years, and when he finally shows his potential, then selling him for gaining 5-10M because your expensive GK feels anxiety about him.
Well, when a potential takes 10 years to show up, it's most likely a smokescreen.

Moah

More likely Estonia are ****.

Agree regarding Martinez, imo he deserved a shot at no 1 at our club for the way he ended last season. Was an absolute beast in goal.

If the rumours are true and we're spending 10 mil on a substitute from bloody championship I'd be very disappointed.
I agree he deserves a shot at No. 1 but the problem is he doesn't want to have a shot, he wants it guaranteed for him. No top team in this world would do that.

TheIceman85

Just promote Macey. A starting central midfielder is much more important than a backup goalkeeper. Not sure what Mikel thinks though..

If Macey was backup last season when Leno got that long-term injury do you think we’d have done as well as we did and won the FA Cup?

I don’t think you can just gamble and have a League Two standard GK as backup. Especially with Leno’s injury problems.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Leno was a great goalkeeper for us so far and doesn't deserve do be dropped just because he was injured.
It will be interesting to see what United does with Henderson. It's easier for them to replace De Gea, who was one of the worst keepers in the PL for the last 2 years, but even that is not guaranteed.

I think that with the addition of Gabriel and Tierney setting in, we won't be so reliant on GK to save us points like Leno had to since he came here.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Totally defeats the point of competition. It's a black day in this clubs dealings. It's not the Arsenal way. It's embarrassing.

Name any top club club right now in world football who has a backup keeper worth 20M or are looking to sign a backup keeper for 20M... i will wait.

United had Henderson on loan btw, cant count that one at all. Plus they're awful so.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It’s different for Goal Keepers though man.

Credible sources say we tried to keep Emi here and renegotiate his terms - if true it’s actually him who walked away. Ornstein said he’s been begging the hierarchy to halve his transfer fee to secure him a move.
Argentina call up too important to him to potentially end up as cup keeper.

Looking at today’s team selection, Arteta seems to have zero problems creating direct competition within the team.

Arsenal ready to cash in on Emiliano Martinez as he seeks No 1 spot
https://theathletic.com/2029141/202...-arsenal-transfer/?source=user_shared_article
All they had to tell him was he’ll keep his place, naturally, until his form dips over a period, like managing any other position in the team, but they obviously couldn’t. He’d be staying on renegotiated terms if they could/did. That’s where it ends for me. They felt they owed Leno something for some reason.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If the club offered fresh terms and continued to start him (which we did) and he still wants to move, I don’t think we can complain.
Leno is not exactly chopped liver, he has great stock at Arsenal.

If it were up to Emi we’d have sold him time ago for 10 mil - he’s put his career first and we have to respect it.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wish we could keep him and sell Leno but Leno's just back from a long injury and on CL wages so hard one.

Don't blame the club for going this route. Hope replacement is cheap

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
So the story Martinez needed to be sold in order to fund the purchase of a crucial midfielder is blown - I never believed it because the financial side simply didn't add up, £20 million won't get you the type of midfielder we need. But now we learn it wasn't true because at least half the fee will need to be spent on a replacement who is, incidentally, unproved at the top level.

If he does indeed want to leave at all costs then I understand the sale. Although I'd still keep him and run his contract down. The "profit" is simply not enough to justify the risks involved in selling him. But if he wasn't given assurances that he would start the season under the sticks and keep the position unless his form warranted otherwise then this is a huge mistake.

This has nothing to do with Leno who is a very good keeper. Already our best since Lehmann at least. But Martinez showed glimpses of having the promise to become a great keeper in that series of games last season and the club is crazy not to explore that. You pay tens of millions for top players, to possibly lose one due to poor negotiating skills is utterly pathetic.

Malky

Established Member
All this crying over a guy who's been here 10 years and has played nearly as many first team games :lol:
No one cared about him 6 months ago, no one even cared if he was in the matchday squads. You're all crying like we've sold him to Chelsea or Sp**s but he's going to Villa, there's a good chance he'll be in a relegation fight this season. Yes there's a good chance he'll do well, but there's also an equal chance he's on the bench once Heaton is fit.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The more I read about Martinez leaving, the less I think his sale is about raising funds for midfield purchases.

From what I see, Martinez wanted to leave when he knew he wasn't going to be Number 1 this season and wouldn't extend his contract. He's coming off the back of a short spell that has probably quadrupled his value, he's only got 2 years left on his contract too, so this is the absolute ideal time to sell him, if you're going to do it.

I expect a fair chunk of Martinez's fee will be spent on a replacement, maybe half it it. I really don't believe that selling Emi was some masterplan to help fund signing Aouar or Partey. I think people are trying to read too deeply into the situation and join dots. We're going to sell a good back up keeper and we're going to try and buy a good back up keeper to replace him.

One think I'm certain of is if Emi was amenable to staying and being back up he wouldn't be leaving, which blows a hole in the raising funds narrative to this transfer

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

All this crying over a guy who's been here 10 years and has played nearly as many first team games :lol:
No one cared about him 6 months ago, no one even cared if he was in the matchday squads. You're all crying like we've sold him to Chelsea or Sp**s but he's going to Villa, there's a good chance he'll be in a relegation fight this season. Yes there's a good chance he'll do well, but there's also an equal chance he's on the bench once Heaton is fit.

So, you don’t believe that players can turn it around and develop into top players? If that’s the case then we might aswell scrap the Hale End academy.

Another example is Alisson, he was benched by Szczesny and nobody knew how good he was, so you can’t blame those who are unhappy about losing Emi Martinez especially if you factor in his fantastic form towards the end of the season and the rave reviews he was getting by Reading fans during his loan spell there.

It’s all good that some people have a soft spot for Leno but they need to stop hating on Emi Martinez especially as he’s been very patient and hasn’t done a lot wrong during his time here.

GoonerBoy19

The problem with Emi is that he has a good chance of becoming Argentina's #1. He cannot become that by playing occasionally at Arsenal. I believe the transfer is ideal for both parties, probably we can sneak in a buy back clause to be on safer side.

Malky

Established Member
So, you don’t believe that players can turn it around and develop into top players? If that’s the case then we might aswell scrap the Hale End academy.

Another example is Alisson, he was benched by Szczesny and nobody knew how good he was, so you can’t blame those who are unhappy about losing Emi Martinez especially if you factor in his fantastic form towards the end of the season and the rave reviews he was getting by Reading fans during his loan spell there.

It’s all good that some people have a soft spot for Leno but they need to stop hating on Emi Martinez especially as he’s been very patient and hasn’t done a lot wrong during his time here.
Yes obviously players can 'turn it around' but at 28 and around 10 games for the first team for people to be demanding the club keep him and give him a new contract is foolish - that is the exact reason we end up with average players we can't get rid off in the future.
Do people not think if he was that good last season then the club would of selected him over Leno anyway, it took an injury to Leno to force the clubs hand, pretty sure there were reports that even the coaching staff were surprised by his form, i.e, he never shown that ability to them before.
What do we do if this end up like another Walcott situation - where he held the club to ransom over his contract, putting in brilliant performances, eventually signed then we never seen that level from him again? What would we do with Martinez on a 5 year deal, £70K a week sitting on the bench?
Bringing up his loan at Reading is pointless aswel, if we sent Elneny on loan to Wycombe and he looked like peak Xavi in their midfield would people start demanding for him to be a starter for us and not waste money on Partey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom