• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manberg

Predator
I do not believe that Arteta told Martinez he can’t be #1, that is not the Arteta way. More than likely, Arteta told Martinez that he does not have a #1, and Emi would have to prove to Arteta in training that he deserves to be starting. Martinez not happy about that and wanted a guaranteed #1 place.

That’s my take on what happened. It would be Martinez’s agent who leaked that narrative to the press, the press won’t have insight on Arteta’s reasoning.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I do not believe that Arteta told Martinez he can’t be #1, that is not the Arteta way. More than likely, Arteta told Martinez that he does not have a #1, and Emi would have to prove to Arteta in training that he deserves to be starting. Martinez not happy about that and wanted a guaranteed #1 place.

That’s my take on what happened. It would be Martinez’s agent who leaked that narrative to the press, the press won’t have insight on Arteta’s reasoning.

Well yeah, Arteta was asked about Martinez and he said he doesn't promise starting spots. It's pretty clear what happened.

I understand both and back Arteta.

Mudi

Tjezus, are people still crying about this?

How many times didn't we sell our short term shiny player as soon as possible to burn our hands the next year.

How quick did people forget about Joel Campbell (after 1 good WC), Carl Jenkinson, Kieran Gibbs, Chambers, ...

If Villa would have offered 20£m for Martinez OR Leno and you had to choose, then the story would have been differently. Now it is plain simple. Martinez is maybe equal to Leno at best, so if they offer 20£m for a 2nd GK, you just take it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If Villa would have offered 20£m for Martinez OR Leno and you had to choose, then the story would have been differently. Now it is plain simple. Martinez is maybe equal to Leno at best, so if they offer 20£m for a 2nd GK, you just take it.

They wouldn't have got Leno (3 years in contract) for £20 million in this goalkeeper market. :rofl: No matter how many times Hydro says he is a virgin.

That Mendy guy is going to Chelsea for something like £20 million and you can't even compare him with Leno.

VancouverCanuck

I believe this is the right move from Arteta and the club, even though I rate Martinez higher.

Leno is a better shot stopper. Judging from his performance since the tail end of last season, Martinez is better in the air, more commanding presence in the box, and better with his feet.

BUT Martinez is much less proven at the top level. 15 games or whatever top flight football is not enough. So sticking with Leno is a safer choice. I back Arteta to make the "right" decision here.

And the fact we get a decent fee for Martinez makes the decision easy.

Stannis

exactly

mans that’s a short coming on Martinez’s part.

I like the guy and appreciate his story and fortitude, but he is getting way to big in his boots by thinking he can dictate to the club that he must be number 1

Malky

Established Member
Being told by the manager that there is no clear number 1, the starting goalkeeper will be whoever earns it in training.
Have we heard Leno *****ing and moaning about wanting to be told he's number one? Instead Martinez doesn't want to fight for his place and up and leaves for a Villa, a side that could be in a relegation battle, instead of fighting for his place here where we'll be going for a CL spot.
That's a poor attitude and a weak mentality.

It'll be funny if he goes there and has a stinker, eventually being benched once Heaton is fit.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Really disappointed in this move by us, Emi was definately my 1st choice keeper for a while during the off season while thinking about it. Still, in this case if Arteta said the spot was up for grabs & didn't have a decision set in stone then that was also pretty weak by Emi if he didn't want to stay because he wasn't guaranteed a spot as #1.

It will be interesting when he moves to Villa & he doesn't have his #1 spot, you'd think he would have been told by the Villa manager he was going to be. Pretty poor decision to take the 16 million offer, Emi certainly is worth more then 16, we probably should have held out for more.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Being told by the manager that there is no clear number 1, the starting goalkeeper will be whoever earns it in training.
Have we heard Leno *****ing and moaning about wanting to be told he's number one? Instead Martinez doesn't want to fight for his place and up and leaves for a Villa, a side that could be in a relegation battle, instead of fighting for his place here where we'll be going for a CL spot.
That's a poor attitude and a weak mentality.

It'll be funny if he goes there and has a stinker, eventually being benched once Heaton is fit.

How is wanting to start somewhere and leaving your comfort zone in a club you've been at since a boy to go play a weak mentality? :lol:

He was told by Arsène he'd be first choice here if he stuck at it and worked hard. He's done all that and got his chance, he's using that chance to ensure he plays and secures his family's future for generations with a much larger new contract

:lol: weak mentality. Swear some of you don't live in the real world

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
It's the right move for Martinez, at this stage of his career he absolutely needs to be a guaranteed starter, he has a golden chance of being Argentina's #1, can't risk that going back to being a backup and barely playing.

Malky

Established Member
How is wanting to start somewhere and leaving your comfort zone in a club you've been at since a boy to go play a weak mentality? :lol:

He was told by Arsène he'd be first choice here if he stuck at it and worked hard. He's done all that and got his chance, he's using that chance to ensure he plays and secures his family's future for generations with a much larger new contract

:lol: weak mentality. Swear some of you don't live in the real world
Because he wanted Arteta to assure him that he's first choice, Arteta instead said he has no first choice and his keeper will be the one who earns it in training and instead of staying to prove he's better than Leno and deserving for the number one spot he thinks he is, he's taken the easy option and left for a smaller club. Is he scared of the competition?

"Swear some of you don't live in the real world" What a ****ing stupid thing to say while discussing a footballer. :lol::lol:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

What is the chance of Okonkwo being the next Macey if Macey leaves, being the academy 1st team graduate keeper who trains with the 1st team, being on the 1st team squad, not the academy players list if you know what I mean? I've only heard positive ratings on Okonkwo I must say.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Because he wanted Arteta to assure him that he's first choice, Arteta instead said he has no first choice and his keeper will be the one who earns it in training and instead of staying to prove he's better than Leno and deserving for the number one spot he thinks he is, he's taken the easy option and left for a smaller club. Is he scared of the competition?

"Swear some of you don't live in the real world" What a ****ing stupid thing to say while discussing a footballer. :lol::lol:

He's 28 and has had a limited playing career. What if his form does dip and he becomes not good enough for a CL aspiring team and he's on the bench for 8 months? Or he gets an injury and loses his place? Does another PL club come in with as good a contract then or at all? Say he signs a new contract here but he's benched? Does that put off potential suitors next transfer window?

The real world comment wasn't referring to him going hungry but that decisions aren't easy and black and white. He has multiple factors to consider.

The fact that you think an Arsenal player who's done nothing but put in 100% being benched tells me all I need to know

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

What is the chance of Okonkwo being the next Macey if Macey leaves, being the academy 1st team graduate keeper who trains with the 1st team, being on the 1st team squad, not the academy players list if you know what I mean? I've only heard positive ratings on Okonkwo I must say.

From what I hear he's really highly rated and likely to be our number 3, although he's had over a year out from football due to personal reasons which has likely hampered his development.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

From what I hear he's really highly rated and likely to be our number 3, although he's had over a year out from football due to personal reasons which has likely hampered his development.
Fair enough, I never actually knew he's had a year out so that certainly wouldn't help. I've heard a few times he's rated higher then Macey to a few people aswell.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
1568998490547.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom