• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martinez: The Best Backup Backup Keeper in the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Well looks like we have another good keeper coming through the ranks. He's done well against united and Dortmund. Big in goal, good stopper with fine distribution. Let's follow his progress here.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Let's not build him up too much, he had a good game but the next time he makes a mistake he'll be getting a kicking in this thread.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Bit premature don't you think? I haven't seen anything that suggests he'll be top class or anything. The same things were said about Mannone when he had a little run but he's average at best.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Bigbludfire said:
Bit premature don't you think? I haven't seen anything that suggests he'll be top class or anything. The same things were said about Mannone when he had a little run but he's average at best.
Who said anything about top class? He's a 22 year old keeper that's had a few decent performances. That's enough to get excited by. Let's not lose the joy of football by expecting every new arrival to be top class on week one.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Reckon we should sell him to Liverpool for £2M. :wink:

Bigbludfire

Established Member
a_fourteen said:
Bigbludfire said:
Who said anything about top class? He's a 22 year old keeper that's had a few decent performances. That's enough to get excited by. Let's not lose the joy of football by expecting every new arrival to be top class on week one.

I didn't claim anyone said he'd be top class, that's just my opinion. I think it's premature to get excited over a player that hasn't even been seen properly. All it takes is one mistake for people to call him ****.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's certainly not been an utter liability which is something. Also looks reasonably commanding for a young keeper and position-wise looked very good tonight and vs Anderlecht last month.

Hasn't put a foot wrong so far.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
He seems quite calm & composed. He'll get a thorough examination this weekend and will have to come and deal with crosses and argy bargy in the box. We'll get a better idea of his quality come 3 pm Saturday.

Iceman10

Established Member
Agree that Martinez deserves to keep his place. He is so much more assured in handling high ball crosses with a calm sense of authority and his kicking is excellent also. He doesn't go looking for trouble either. There was an observation on the match thread today that perhaps he goes to ground too early in one on ones, but we'll see over time. He may drop a clanger eventually, but until then he deserves to keep his place.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

3 clean sheets in a row. I loved that moment where he calm rushing out to the very edge of the box and out-jumped Pelle to grasp the ball from the sky. Very assured young man, has potential for sure!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

^ Reminded me of Courtois and how he does that every game.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
He's young but on a roll and confident right now. I remember him looking like a frail child in his debut against Reading but now that he's stable and confident we're seeing what he's like for real. Strong in the air and good distribution, he hasn't had many shots to save yet (I didn't see the WB game though). Potential there for sure.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Not a big fan of Szczesny, but he's our # 1, and it will take more than that for him to lose his spot. Expect him to start once he's fit.

Very happy with what Martinez has shown this season, has the build of a top keeper too.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Szcz will come back in when he's fit, I want to see what Ospina's like though. Big pity he's injured as this and the CL suspension would have been a good chance for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom