Emiliano Martinez: The Best Backup Backup Keeper in the League

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by a_fourteen, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Good words. Penny dropping. He's got to play now, he's at the age where a keeper should be playing more regularly than he currently does. He's putting together a string of good performances and he's impressed whenever given a short run. It's time for us to either trust him or sell. I reckon with Cech retiring, he'll definitely be Leno's competition. I'd say that's a good spot. Leno has been very good since signing, particularly in the last few months or so, but I don't think of his position as completely insurmountable. I think Martinez will be decent competition for him.

neimad, Gooner416, Impact and 2 others like this.
  2. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

No man. He is not even ospina level.

3. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

4. Aussie_gunner123

Aussie_gunner123 Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather see Martinez as our backup keeper this year & on our official roster for a change rather then on loan once again.

5. 9jagooner

9jagooner Well-Known Member

Well unless we're planning on getting another goalkeeper, Martinez will be our backup goalkeeper and one of the guys from Academy as third choice.

To be honest, IMO, this is a step down from when we had Fabianski as back up or Cech as backup. But given Arsenal's financial position, our focus has to be spending money on where we're short further up the field.

Fallout likes this.
  6. Beast Incarnate

Beast Incarnate Well-Known Member

Just curious, but what are you basing this on? He's looked pretty good in the few games he's got at Arsenal.

He's decent as a number 2 and I believe he fills a HG quota.

7. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

Who has watched Martinez that often to be able to make a judgement? The few times I've seen him he looks ok for a no. 2 but if he never plays and goes out on loan after loan to inferior teams we're never going to know. Give him at least until January as back-up and play him in the League Cup and some Europa League games.

8. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Martinez had a stellar season at Reading. Have a read of any of their forums to confirm this. He is a good 'keeper. Huge physical profile, great with his feet. Homegrown academy product too.

Toby Andrl and Mo Britain like this.
  9. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

He's a good keeper. Massive frame.

Mo Britain likes this.
  10. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

11. TromsoGooner

TromsoGooner Well-Known Member

Don`t agree with him being great with his feet. Rate Martinez but his kicking is very ordinary.

12. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Has looked good so far. Always felt there was a good 'keeper in there. Think he is ready to be the competition that keeps Leno honest. Already a huge improvement on Cech/Ospina distribution-wise.

13. THunter

THunter NOT In A Caravan Trusted

From the highlights he looked good bar the Bale goal where he should have been stronger and held on.

That’s always been his issue, can be brilliant for most of the game but has a mistake in him. Good second choice though and home grown to boot.

Impact likes this.
  14. Impact

Impact Well-Known Member

Think he should have been braver on the Bale goal but I don't think I would go as far as calling it a mistake.

15. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

16. rich 1990

rich 1990 Loves the A-M Mods

Ricardinho likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.