• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emmanuel Adebayor

karheng

In the Arsenal Fan Club Malaysia Supporters forum, someone questioned why Wenger chose not to sign Andy Johnson and went for Adebayor instead. I reiterated and suggested a few things to this Gooner of Adebayor's quality. Here's the article.

The query.

"In my opinion, AW 's purchase of Adebayor is not a good one given that he had the opportunity to sign up AJ in last season Jan window. Adebayor is not up to the standards required given that he has been given numerous chances. Based on my observation, he seems not to be a natural finisher like wat King Henry and Van Persie has. AW bought him thinking her would provide the aerial threat something that has been missing for s long time since the days of Ian right. AJ is excellent in the air as well as shooting the ball in the net."

The rationalization.

"Contrary to your believe, Adebayor is not only half as good as AJ, he has the potential to be better.

Simple reason. Think age.

Then you think height. Timing of jumps can be learnt. Adebayor came to Arsenal with a record as his country's top goalscorer. First of all, to be a goalscorer, you need good support. However, in his countries' team, there isn't half as good support as in Arsenal, so you give him more opportunities.

His hard work is similar to the levels of Andy Johnson. His price(although undisclosed) should be less than half of Andy Johnson's. His wages will be lesser. Andy Johnson gets a goal every game, correct? But that's because he starts every game when he is fit. Yet despite that, he's been having a blip of late, while Tim Cahill is their top scorer.

Just some facts and figures. Adebayor 6'3", AJ 5'7". Adebayor 22, AJ 25,
Adebayor undisclosed , AJ 8.6million.

I believe we should give Adebayor some time. Natural finishers will always be natural finishers. They score all kinds of goals. They have the hunger to score. Maybe Adebayor isn't as established to the EPL fans as AJ but that's because he was playing for Monaco. With enough hard work, he'lll soon be able to score.

Also, for Arsenal, Henry is always asking for the ball. Adebayor was made to be a link man to assist Henry. Give him enough games and he'll soon give you a goal a game. Simple as that. i won't be surprised if Adebayor becomes one of Arsenal's top strikers in seasons to come."

I wonder what other Gooners think about this. Any comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

RC8

Established Member
Sorry for the short answer, but basically this is my take:

Adebayor is an outstanding player, much better than AJ in my opinion, he is better creating space, has better passing, is not a serial diver, and knows how to shield the ball better. However, Johnson's finishing ability is still ahead of Ade's, and in the short term he could have provided some more goals. Ade's ability to play football is great, and if he improves his finishing he will be the next Kanu, remember he is still very young.

karheng

Thanks for the feedback. I was going along those lines but I failed to mention that technically AJ is still ahead of Adebayor in terms of finishing.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
To be fair 2 completely different strikers, but both have a drive and high levels of workrate. I agree with your point about Adebayor complementing Henry as theres no guarentee that AJ would/could.

Ade is a proven goalscorer both internationally and in the french league and those who want to write him off as an overpriced striker only decent in the french league only need to look at the form of Didier Drogba.

Adebayor could turn out to be a great buy - his goal against united a few weeks back makes him something of a hero already.

Tony Montana

Established Member
RC8 said:

Adebayor is an outstanding player, much better than AJ in my opinion, he is better creating space, has better passing, is not a serial diver, and knows how to shield the ball better. However, Johnson's finishing ability is still ahead of Ade's, and in the short term he could have provided some more goals. Ade's ability to play football is great, and if he improves his finishing he will be the next Kanu, remember he is still very young.

That's a bit of an over the top comment. Don't use the word outstanding loosely mate. Henry is outstanding, not Adebayor.

RC8

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
RC8 said:

That's a bit of an over the top comment. Don't use the word outstanding loosely mate. Henry is outstanding, not Adebayor.

Well, yeah, with outstanding I meant outstanding in some aspects of his game, he is definitely not near 'outstanding' as in "Hleb is outstanding". He is however, in my opinion, a better player than AJ when you do not take his finishing into account.

nidza7

Established Member
Why comparing Ade with AJ anyway?We`re Arsenal.Let`s compare him with top clubs strikers.

Go0oner

Ade is a good player. Everyone focuses on his negatives and ignores his positives which is sad and plain wrong. He gives his all for the club, he plays his heart out for the club. Atleast, praise him for that.

liridon

Personally I never liked him, i think he didnt improve at all and i cant agree with his finishing abilities.

He misses too many chances and his shoot is not that good.
RVP would be better for the team and I think that the team exept henry doesnt have quality strickers. we should have tried to get Podolski and now it is our chance to convince Klose.

Go0oner

liridon said:
Personally I never liked him, i think he didnt improve at all and i cant agree with his finishing abilities.

He misses too many chances and his shoot is not that good.
RVP would be better for the team and I think that the team exept henry doesnt have quality strickers. we should have tried to get Podolski and now it is our chance to convince Klose.
You certainly changed your mind on his finishing ability after today's game? :wink:

Jameel46

Established Member
EMIR8_SOLDIER said:
but people still forget he is only 22 ...he also was a c.league finalist with monaco

i think that's a very good point, people for some reason don't see him as a young player which is a good thing as his performances are compared to more experienced players and is expected to perform as an experienced player which can only make him better but he is still young and his lack of experince shouldn't come as a suprise, he is also a better option in the 4-5-1 formation than Henry

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
oh hands down definetly....even though henry did it well last year in c.league....its because we were fighting for something....
but he wouldnt of dun adebayors job v porto....the ' go out there and get you a draw job' ade worked his arse off shielding balls....

Neo

I also believe Andrew Johnson isn't our type of player at all.

First of all, his white and english and plays like a typical English player, we don't play like an English team.

This is the reason we find it hard to find English players to fit our team. The reason Walcott is playing is because he has a flaire that you wouldnt assosiate with an English player normally.

Manu has flaire and doesnt play the English game and can assist us in our European style football - AJ can't!

Top Bottom