• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emmanuel Eboué

asajoseph

Established Member
Again, whilst he's a good player, and I'm glad to see him a gooner, he better not be the 'one player' that Wenger is talking about. Frankly, that would take the piss

lee1001

Established Member
Wenger recently commented on the fact that last year we had to best defence in the country with the same players as this season.

So i don't think he wants to buy an expensive first choice CB.

That would also support Wenger's comment that in January he will be buying young again.

asajoseph

Established Member
Wenger recently commented on the fact that last year we had to best defence in the country with the same players as this season.

So i don't think he wants to buy an expensive first choice CB.

That would also support Wenger's comment that in January he will be buying young again.

I think that you're right, but I think that this would also be a very foolish move. Whether or not we have the same players, players do not necessarily maintain a standard level of performance throughout their career. It is blindingly obvious that our defence is not performing at the moment. We weren't too good at defending set pieces last year either, from what I recall. Now though, teams have had a summer to look at videos, and figure out that this is a big weakness for us. Not only this, but Chelsea have dramatically raised the bar. Campbell and Cygan are both the wrong side of 30, Senderos is untested, and it seems unlikely that Hoyte will get much more this year.

We NEED to improve. End of story. To do this, we need new, LONG term options. We've seen what happens when Toure has nobody to marshall him, and just buying more youngsters isn't going to help. We NEED another CB. I don't think Wenger sees this, and I think he'll buy more children.

murielblaes

Btw, Eboué has only been playing CB this season. RB is his best position, but he might be a contender for the CB as well.
He did play Uefa Cup this season, doesn't that exclude him from Champions League?

geert

I DO know anyway that most of you seem to dislike the fact of Eboué coming to Arsenal. Why actually? I know, it's just because he's less known (alot) then Kufour and other Trabelsi's. So was Kolo Touré...

He is dedicated, and has the warmest smile on the team ;D

he'll show his potential, no doubt.

Axl

He´s surely a good signing for the future, but don´t we have enough talented defenders? I think we need a more experience defender now when Sol seems to have problems. We surely have to deal with Cygan another spring. Although I don´t think he sucks as much as other people do I don´t think he´s got Arsenal quality. It´s going to be a tough season if Sol going to be away now and then!

asajoseph

Established Member
I DO know anyway that most of you seem to dislike the fact of Eboué coming to Arsenal. Why actually? I know, it's just because he's less known (alot) then Kufour and other Trabelsi's. So was Kolo Touré...

He is dedicated, and has the warmest smile on the team

he'll show his potential, no doubt.

Hi Geert,

I'm actually happy that Eboue has signed - will provide some good competition for Lauren. What would make me unhappy, would be if he was the 'one player' that Wenger signs to improve our squad. He doesn't match what we need most, and he is entirely unproven at the top level. We need more than Eboue to shore up our defence, no doubt.

asajoseph

Established Member
i.e. I'd be happy if we sign Eboue.

I'd be unhappy if we signed Eboue INSTEAD of Kuffour, or another more experienced defender.

asajoseph

Established Member
Pace all that counts?

Vital yes, all that counts? No.

Cygan - slowest defender in the league! Possibly.

hcr32

i remember in the pre-season no-one was really saying anything spectacular about this guy!
I wouldnt money money on him joining us though.

Didnt Ajax also said Trabelsi would join Arsenal in a few day!?

I would rather a known defender, i dont like playing unknowns in defence, its risky in my point of view
But Hey i aint Arsène & what would i know!!!!!! :twisted:

Top Bottom