• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2008-2009

True Gooner

Established Member
New topic for the 08/09 season

2008/09 fixtures announced

Opening day fixtures -
Arsenal vs West Brom
Man Utd vs Newcastle
Chelsea vs Portsmouth
Aston Villa vs Manchester City
Middlesboro vs Tottenham
West Ham vs Wigan
Liverpool vs Sunderland
Hull City vs Fulham
Boltone vs Stoke
Everton vs Blackburn

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
Arsenal fixtures

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/fixtures/default.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm</a>

First six : H West Brom, A Fulham, H Newcastle, A Blackburn, A Bolton, H Hull

Last Six : A Liverpool, H Boro, A Pompey, H Chelsea, A Man U, H Stoke

True Gooner

Established Member
Our run in looks really tough, we'll have to start well like this season and build some momentum as the season goes on.

This is longest Premier league season ever, ends on 24th May.

Pádraig

The 7 substitutes will no doubt prove to be useful! I'm delighted that they brought that rule in.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Waheey, there will be more chances to see Randall, Merida, and other youngsters to come up as subs.

GaelForce22

Established Member
As of today, the outright betting for the Premiership is:
Man Utd 6/5
Chelsea 7/4
Arsenal 5/1
Liverpool 15/2
Tottenham 66/1
Aston Villa 100/1
Man City 150/1
Everton 200/1
Newcastle 250/1
Portsmouth 500/1
West Ham 1000/1
Blackburn 1000/1
Middlesboro 1500/1
Sunderland 2000/1
Wigan 2500/1
Fulham 2500/1
Bolton 3000/1
West Brom 5000/1
Hull City 7500/1
Stoke City 7500/1

We were 10/1 last season which would prove that the bookies know nothing. I'm going to wait a bit before I make a bet (for Arsenal). I can see the price going up the day Hleb leaves or when Chelsea buy their first superstar of the summer.

True Gooner

Established Member
Pádraig said:
The 7 substitutes will no doubt prove to be useful! I'm delighted that they brought that rule in.

Completely forgot about that one, we need to buy some players! Remember when we only had a squad of 14 to chose from? (was against Man City away, I think)

go49oner

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:

Liverpool 15/2

Tempting that, I really think Liverpool will surprise people next season just we did in the last.

regele

Established Member
go49oner said:
GaelForce22 said:

Liverpool 15/2

Tempting that, I really think Liverpool will surprise people next season just we did in the last.
I really don't.
P.S. Why would you bet for a team that isn't us to win the PL?

Growler

I am looking for odds on us (liverpool) finishing top 2 and a change in the top 4. I think one of the chasers will make the top 4 this coming season. Not sure at who's expense, but would like it be chelsea.

You guys have got an easy start again, and the **** have got a tough start. I think they play us at anfield, then their first CL game and then chelsea in london.

Our big problem last season was the full backs. We will also have Agger back and he is really important as a ball playing centre back. Babel and Torres will be in their second seasons too, and even though technically Alonso is superior to Barry, Barry will bring more to our team.

Assuming things go to plan, I would be comfortable with

Reina
Degen, Carra, Agger, Dossena
---Masch, Barry
Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel
---Torres.

I would prefer a top class winger for the right or an Aimar type player and then move Gerrard to the right, but under the constraints I think that side would do well.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Growler said:
I am looking for odds on us (liverpool) finishing top 2 and a change in the top 4. I think one of the chasers will make the top 4 this coming season. Not sure at who's expense, but would like it be chelsea.

You guys have got an easy start again, and the **** have got a tough start. I think they play us at anfield, then their first CL game and then chelsea in london.

Our big problem last season was the full backs. We will also have Agger back and he is really important as a ball playing centre back. Babel and Torres will be in their second seasons too, and even though technically Alonso is superior to Barry, Barry will bring more to our team.

Assuming things go to plan, I would be comfortable with

Reina
Degen, Carra, Agger, Dossena
---Masch, Barry
Kuyt, Gerrard, Babel
---Torres.

I would prefer a top class winger for the right or an Aimar type player and then move Gerrard to the right, but under the constraints I think that side would do well.

What do you mean, I thought you said Man Utd had a tough start?

And that team/squad has a lot of problems. Having two full-backs new to the Premiership will be a big risk. I think you might be better off with a back 4 of Carragher/Degen, Skrtel, Agger, Carragher/Dosena where you rotate the new guys with Carragher for a while to settle them in.
Also, you are amazingly relient on Gerrard and Torres. We saw last season that if they don't peform (like in both your premiership games against Man Utd and the second Chelsea one) then you will be in big trouble. What exactly is going to happen if Torres is out for a month? This formation is built around his goals and I can't see anyone in your squad who could replace him.
And as you point out, Babel and Kuyt are not really good enough. Neither is a winger but like us you don't really have the money to strengthen every needed part of your team.

Best of luck, but I can only see you finishing third if one of us, Chelsea and Man Utd have an awful season/collapse.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Guess Liverpool fans have already got one over their bitter rivals going into next season

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=742722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=742722</a>

Mascherano Hands Anderson Serious Knee Injury

Kain

Established Member
Lol hes a monster that Masch, very old school isnt afraid of anything not sure i can ever see 15+ mil as justifiable for a holding mid but if Liverpool are going to win silverware next year i bet he'll have a big say in the matter.

Couldnt care less for Anderson.

DREVAK

Established Member
Ince set to become Blackburn boss. Not too sure about this appointment, to be perfectly honest. From MK Dons to Blackburn, that is no small step. And it could prove incompatible – either way, really. Or maybe I'm just too negative and he will show that all the talk about him having huge potential as a coach and a manager is not just talk and that he can do it at the top level.

tam1886

Established Member
To be honest, I wouldn't wish a serious injury on anyone, but in this case, I won't be shedding a tear. I can't stand Anderson at all although he is a very good player. It's kind of the same reason I don't like Ronaldo. Nothing to do with their footballing ability, as they are both fantastic players, but I don't like either of their attitudes or the way they carry themselves as individuals.

number_0

Established Member
Anderson used to be a great person, remember when we played porto and berto hacked him to the ground, anderson woke up smiling and shook his hand, but once he moved to manu, he is on the floor clutching his face every 10seconds, which is typical.

-Shaun-

number_0 said:
Anderson used to be a great person, remember when we played porto and berto hacked him to the ground, anderson woke up smiling and shook his hand, but once he moved to manu, he is on the floor clutching his face every 10seconds, which is typical.

Why had he been asleep? :lol:

Yeah I can remember that, but you watch him now diving all over the place as if he's been shot, just shows what effect Manure have on a player. About Ince; good appointment IMO for Blackburn, he's a very good manager having watched a bit of the Dons this season, he even played for them, so Rovers might have a new instant signing.

bertlb2

I don't know about Ince. Sure he has done well with MK Dons, but he is going to a club who did great league results because of good job on the market. They compete with Portsmouth and Man City with a much smaller budget. Can Ince be a good market operator at the top level? If you take Roy Keane for example, he did well for Sunderland in the Championship, arguably because he had more money than his competitors, but he failed to adapt to the international market where EPL transfers are made. Ince can face the same problem. Big Sam would have been a safer choice. He made a low-budget Bolton competitive with cheap transfers.

In my opinion, Blackburn main target this summer is to convince its top players to stay. The choice of the new manager, a proxy for the club's ambition, is key to that. I think the arrival of Ince isn't the best in this context. On the other hand, the Blackburn board may think that they cannot fund a push for a UEFA Cup place but are sure they will beat the drop and they appoint Ince, a bit like Boro did. They hope Santa Cruz and Bentley stay, but are willing to take the money and build to have results in 3-4 years. Ince fits much more a rebuilding team than Allardyce.

Top Bottom