• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2008-2009

dbig

Stevo the Villan said:
It's Kevin Keegan all over again! Why would they want to offer him a longer deal. Ok they may have been f*d anyway, but he still relegated the club. 1 win in 8 games!
All the toon fans are saying "if only he'd been here since January!". O right, if only? Then you would have got 2 wins in 16.

They'd be much better off giving the job to someone who's got a team promoted in the past, Boothroyd for example. The only thing Shearer has going for him is Dowie, who has done it before. I'd be inclined to sack shearer off and give it to Ian instead.

As for Newcastle in general, I was relishing sending them down and I couldn't be happier that we did it. THey were chanting "You're just a town full of Pakis" at the end of the game on Sunday. The league is better off without those deluded pricks.

I thought he could get 2 wins and be acclaimed the new messiah, but it seems he's the new messiah even though he got them relegated. :mrgreen:

Oh well, we won't see them around for some time, I suspect.

GaelForce22

Established Member
I'd like to see Swansea get promoted, Martinez is doing a brilliant job and whenever I've seen them they've played great, quick football.
AnthonyG said:
nazo said:
In our case, we better beat the 'weaker' teams and improve our already impressive record against the top 3.
Every single time we get a draw next season against 'beatable' teams Wenger needs to get out the games from the last two seasons. Those draws two years ago destroyed our challenge and the string of 0-0's this year, while we were pretty much out if by then, didn't help matters. We can't afford a similar and inexplicable stretch like those.
Amazingly United got 70 out of 72 possible points against the bottom twelve teams this season. That's why they won the league and the sort of record we or anyone else are going to need to go for next year.

Sover

alonso14 said:
with respect you are talking tosh

Burnley play very good football

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to their own I guess.

Just not my idea of good football

We'll have to wait and see how physical they decide to play against us.
Contrary to popular belief 'oop' north, football is not a contact sport.

Sover

The idea is to play the ball, not the man.
Tackles should not use excessive force
Pushing a player with your shoulder is a foul.
Being 'out muscled' has no place in the game

The concept of actually trying to play better football than the opponents seems to have passed some teams by - they seem more content on stopping any football being played.

DREVAK

Established Member
Ah, I see, so by saying football is not a contact sport you actually meant football is a contact sport. And it has rules. I get it now.

I also won't get into the argument as to what constitutes proper, better, real football. I like slick passing and brilliant technique as much as anyone but the last time I checked the point was to win.

I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of not playing football when a team does not conform to someone's subjective standards. The rules don't define the beauty or aesthetic value of the game.

Sover

DREVAK said:
Ah, I see, so by saying football is not a contact sport you actually meant football is a contact sport. And it has rules. I get it now.

I also won't get into the argument as to what constitutes proper, better, real football. I like slick passing and brilliant technique as much as anyone but the last time I checked the point was to win.

I don't think it's fair to accuse anyone of not playing football when a team does not conform to someone's subjective standards. The rules don't define the beauty or aesthetic value of the game.

Obviously you don't see. What I meant was football is a non contact sport.
Out muscling a team is against the rules. Law 12 actually.

I do think it's fair to accuse a team of not playing football when their game plan is not to play football but to physically impair the opponents from playing football.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Of course football is a contact sport, excessive or whatever term you want to use is the key. And, for example, playing the ball is not illegal if you secondarily make contact with a player. Sure it's not rugby (and some of these pansies should be grateful for that the way they go on, heh j/k), but a non-contact sport is, for example, tennis. You don't see Federer thwacking Nadal on the head if he can catch him coming up now do you?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Football is a contact sport. Of course it is! You are allowed to touch other players (insert joke here)

A shoulder to shoulder challenge is still not against the rules. That's contact.

Contact is part of the game, if you took that away it would only be half the game it is today.

alonso14

Established Member
footall isnt a contact sport! ha ha ha

Also, if people think Burnley are over physical they havnt watched them

Sover

alonso14 said:
footall isnt a contact sport! ha ha ha

Also, if people think Burnley are over physical they havnt watched them

Well I have watched them and they're a dirty side - especially when faced with opposition that play a passing a game. They kicked the swans at the Liberty, they kicked them at Turf Moor and they will do the same to any side that plays the ball around them. They should've conceded 2 penalties on Monday, both for being over physical. They were the same in the CC at SB and against our kids at TM.

Oh yeh, and a shoulder to shoulder challenge is a foul.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Interesting...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5350359,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 59,00.html</a>

Perhaps Wigan will be going down next season.

tam1886

Established Member
The BBC seem to think that Sulaiman Al Fahim, the guy who fronted the Abu Dhabi United Group's purchase of Man City, is in talks with Sacha Gaydamak to buy Portsmouth.

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8070535.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 070535.stm</a>

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Coyle likely to pass up his shot at the Premier League!? Sounds odd to me...

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070586.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 070586.stm</a>

Latest posts

Top Bottom