• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2008-2009

alonso14

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Coyle likely to pass up his shot at the Premier League!? Sounds odd to me...

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070586.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 070586.stm</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spoke to Ste Jordan yesterday and he was certain Coyle was staying

But alot can happen in 24 hours

I suspect money is talking, which is sad

I hope he stays

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Stevo the Villan said:
Apparently those talks have already broken down due to Wigan telling the press they'd let Bruce talk to them.

Oh. A clever move by Wigan perhaps?

Maybe, but Whelan has always seemed too modest to me. Good chairman, but they are always saying they are happy to be a stepping stone for other pastures green for players, always saying he won't stand in their way if they want to leave. Strikes me as if this is what happened here, he was just asked and wouldn't stand in Bruce's way.

Perhaps a clever move, but it's nothing unusual for Whelan I think.

tam1886

Established Member
There's whispers up here that the job is Coyle's if he wants it. Would be a shame if he went, he really should have a crack at the Premier League, but I just don't know if he would get enough to make a big enough impact in the big time.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
You know what's annoying?

MON went to a game last thursday (Standard Liege vs Anderlecht) to do some scouting (so my friend tells me) and I predicted that we would get linked to every one who played in that game. The same thing happened last season, MON went to see Bayern vs Getafe (I think) and we got linked to everyone who played pretty much.

Now, 6 days later, we've already been linked to 6 players who played in the Liege Anderlecht game. Journos just make it all up!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
tam1886 said:
The BBC seem to think that Sulaiman Al Fahim, the guy who fronted the Abu Dhabi United Group's purchase of Man City, is in talks with Sacha Gaydamak to buy Portsmouth.

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8070535.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 070535.stm</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They've accepted the bid now:

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8070535.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 070535.stm</a>

alonso14

Established Member
Stevo the Villan said:
You know what's annoying?

MON went to a game last thursday (Standard Liege vs Anderlecht) to do some scouting (so my friend tells me) and I predicted that we would get linked to every one who played in that game. The same thing happened last season, MON went to see Bayern vs Getafe (I think) and we got linked to everyone who played pretty much.

Now, 6 days later, we've already been linked to 6 players who played in the Liege Anderlecht game. Journos just make it all up!

it happens a lot.......it always happens when a manager scouts a team they are playing......

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Great coach. I don't think he'll do better at Chelsea than Scolari did though. They have an ageing team and no Milan Lab to keep them young. And probably not a lot of money to buy new players with either.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Great coach. I don't think he'll do better at Chelsea than Scolari did though. They have an ageing team and no Milan Lab to keep them young. And probably not a lot of money to buy new players with either.

The fact that Wenger outwitted him makes me positive.

DREVAK

Established Member
Well he's got grey hair, is about 1.80 metres tall... oh man the fun is killing me.

Sorry.

On a more serious note I'm extremely interested as to how he will do at Chelsea. I just don't see him doing well there. Hiddink was not a great revolution that brought tons of trophies but he has been still very, very good for Chelsea while he has been there, and I just don't have the confidence in Ancelotti filling those shoes. I think he won't get along too well with the veteran and what I feel very individual squad Chelsea have. But that's just a prediction, a guess, nothing more.

ibby

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Klaus Daimler said:

He didn't really outwit him though did he? Milan are an ageing team, it's no surprise a younger, fitter, hungrier team beat them.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
ibby said:
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Klaus Daimler said:

He didn't really outwit him though did he? Milan are an ageing team, it's no surprise a younger, fitter, hungrier team beat them.

Well, he beat him and we were comfortably better in both legs. A lot of that Milan side had just won the World Cup, so I don't really buy the past-it argument. And they had Kaka at his best. I think Wenger genuinely surprised him by playing Diaby on the left in the away leg for instance. If a Mourinho or Hiddink team had done the same, we'd be saying that they "outwitted" Ancelotti, so I think it's fair to give Wenger credit where it's due.

ibby

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Well, he beat him and we were comfortably better in both legs. A lot of that Milan side had just won the World Cup, so I don't really buy the past-it argument. And they had Kaka at his best. I think Wenger genuinely surprised him by playing Diaby on the left in the away leg for instance. If a Mourinho or Hiddink team had done the same, we'd be saying that they "outwitted" Ancelotti, so I think it's fair to give Wenger credit where it's due.
Of the XI that started against us in the San Siro, only two had a big part to play in Italy's World Cup victory, Pirlo and Gattuso.

Kaka wasn't at his best, he was at his best the season previous.

I don't think it was a surprise starting Diaby, van Persie wasn't fit and Eduardo was injuried. Walcott was our only other option but he rarely starts on the left.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
ibby said:
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Of the XI that started against us in the San Siro, only two had a big part to play in Italy's World Cup victory, Pirlo and Gattuso.

Kaka wasn't at his best, he was at his best the season previous.

I don't think it was a surprise starting Diaby, van Persie wasn't fit and Eduardo was injuried. Walcott was our only other option but he rarely starts on the left.

Oh. Oh dear. Anyway, we won and some managers get given the benefit of the doubt for performances like that.

Wenger14

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
Ancelotti leaves Milan...his Chelsea appointment is inevitable. Any thoughts from those who know a lot about him?
He's a step down from Mourinho and Hiddink for me.

bertlb2

If Bruce leaves Wigan, it will be a very tough blow for them. Valencia is likely to be sold too, so the team looks very average to me. Sure they will have a bit of money, but not more than the other lower-half teams like Porstmouth and Sunderland and they will be competing for the same players. They'll need a great manager to spend wisely and have another mid-table season.

How brillant does Sam Allardyce looks now having kept Santa Cruz and not played him. Sure his first task was to make sure that Blackburn avoids the drop, but how much more money would he have been able to play with had he sold his over-rated striker in January? 2x, 3x as much as if solds him this summer.

Hull revamped their squad last summer and brought in a dozen new players. They are likely to do the same this summer again.

xcdude24

Established Member
Kind of off-topic, but do you know if anyone has attempted to emulate Milan's fitness lab? I'm highly surprised Wenger hasn't been interested in anything like it.

Top Bottom