• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2017/18

skummm

Interesting article discussing proposed changes to the beautiful game...would any or all of them improve it?

I think this deserves it's own thread [in Football Talk] but I lost my thread starting privleges during the Great AM Lockout™

Linky

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

I can't wait to see Phil Thompson's reaction to this:lol:.

Thompson went on an epic rant a few years ago when they attempted to discuss this on Soccer saturday. A sort of "how dare you even suggest about bringing back standing sections and do so is a insult to the victims and their families" etc rubbish.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

My local Shrewsbury Town is pushing heavily for safe standing as well. It'd be great to get some atmosphere into British football.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Stadium of Light sure looks empty. Dire football being served up too. Sunderland looking well and truly like a championship side.

AVENTUS

So as things stand what do we reckon guys. Who will win the title.

I'm finding it very difficult to call this season really. something about UTD tells me they're still short and won't challenge, I think pep will struggling again regardless how much his spent zero cohesion in that squad. Chelsea signing Morata and losing Costa is music to my ears downgrade in my opinion.

Don't know just really hard to call

Sp**s won't finish top 4 so no worries there and Liverpool still lack squad in depth and could lose their main man to Barcelona.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'm finding it very difficult to call this season really. something about UTD tells me they're still short and won't challenge, I think pep will struggling again regardless how much his spent zero cohesion in that squad. Chelsea signing Morata and losing Costa is music to my ears downgrade in my opinion.

Sp**s won't finish top 4 so no worries there and Liverpool still lack squad in depth and could lose their main man to Barcelona.

Well as AM's resident pessimist, it certainly isn't going to be us. I think United will be very dangerous this season, hate him or not, but Mourinho is usually very capable in his second season at clubs. I'd say it is either them or Chelsea. Pep is a fraud in a proper league with competition. Sp**s lack a winning culture, and Liverpool does not have the staying power.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude

I think City is probably now the favorite, given that Chelsea have lost Matic (and soon Costa, who is arguably their second or third best player, behind Hazard and even with Kante) and Morata is unproven. Gundogan returning to fitness could be huge as well.

United, Sp**s, and Chelsea are next tier, followed shortly by Sp**s and us. Liverpool is a bit of a wildcard...if they don't sell Coutinho, they could shock everyone. The addition of Salah adds even more pace to their front 4.

Last edited:

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
I don't know about the rest of you but I'd personally love to see Arsène lift his very first EFL Cup since 1996.

I know it's a Mickey Mouse Cup but it would be nice to see Wenger win all the trophies in England like Ferguson and Mourinho and his predecessor George Graham.

Last edited:

GunnerFinn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40455944
Tottenham and Man City enter Checkatrade Trophy
Tottenham and Manchester City are among the new clubs who will play in next season's Checkatrade Trophy.

Premier League champions Chelsea will also enter an Under-21 side, as they did last season.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool have turned down the chance to participate.

The competition features 16 Under-21 teams from clubs with Category A academies, in addition to the 48 League One and League Two clubs.

Last season was the first time it was played under the new format.

Coventry beat Oxford in front of almost 75,000 at Wembley but prior to that the competition had been heavily criticised due to its low crowds, restrictive rules for the League One and Two teams, and the absence of most of England's major clubs.

Tournament regulations were tweaked in the summer, allowing greater flexibility in selection and fixture dates.

This has encouraged City and Tottenham to enter, in addition to Newcastle and Fulham, who are new entrants from last season.

Prize money has been increased to £3m per season, with the winner getting £100,000.

Tottenham head of player development, John McDermott, said: "We know the Checkatrade Trophy will provide a massive challenge for us and we look forward to testing ourselves."
Wasn't sure where to put this but why have we declined?? Let Nelson and co loose when they're not on the bench.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom